2016~2023 ...lock all doors from outside while engine is running (2019 CX-9)

Hi there,

I used to have a car that allowed me to start the engine with my remote key fob to cool it down on hot days (it gets really hot here...).
My Mazda does not have that feature (at least without that app for 65$ a year) so I want to start the engine and then lock the doors. But for whatever reason I can't figure out how to do that!
Can anyone help? I am sure the solution is quite simple but it hasn't occurred to me yet...

I have a 2019 CX-9 GT with the advanced keyless entry system.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Cheers

Andreas

I've been wanting this too, but unfortunately I don't think it's possible. It seems Mazda would rather have the car unlocked and vulnerable to theft than allow people to lock the doors and walk away with engine running. Even if they didn't allow it by default, at the very least they should give owners the option (via software update) to turn on this feature but nothing I've read/researched leads me to believe that this will happen.

I just tested this on my 2018, and there's no way to manually lock the doors while the engine is running. Even with the key fob out of range, I can't lock the doors using the switch on the inner door panel, and manually toggling the lock doesn't work either.

I think I read somewhere that certain aftermarket remote start systems can bypass this function and allow you to lock the doors while the engine is running. Maybe the Fortin allows it?

When my '16 was new, I made a Xmas trip home to Winnipeg and stayed over night in Bemidji Minnesota. It was -30 the next morning and the car had no block heater having being bought in Ontario. I was uncertain whether it would start, but went out and it started with no problem. I wanted to leave it running for a while but did not want to leave it unlocked. I fussed for a while and eventually got it locked somehow, I think by opening the driver's side rear door and reaching ahead to the inside lock button on the driver's door, locking it, and shutting the rear door. Or maybe some thing else as I am in my late seventies and remember things from 1955 better than what I did two and one half years ago. After a half hour or so I went out to unlock it, and the fob and door button did nothing. It just sat there running happily, all toasty warm inside while I'm freezing my "accessories" off outside. Fortunately I remembered the salesman telling me about the physical key inside the fob. Popped the key out and opened the door.

So, maybe, the physical key can lock it also?

So, maybe, the physical key can lock it also?

Great suggestion. I just went and tested this on my car. Turned the car on, stepped outside, and locked the driver's door using the physical key from the keyfob. Doing so locks all doors. Unlocking with the key will only unlock the driver's door. Also, the liftgate remains locked if the keyfob is not in range. I guess this is a solution to the OP's issue. While it's not a great one, it works.

Something to note, my car doesn't have a remote start. I don't know if that makes a difference.

You can lock the doors with the engine running by pressing the lock button on your key fob. I've been doing it on my 2019, but I also have a Fortin so maybe that's why.

You can lock the doors with the engine running by pressing the lock button on your key fob. I've been doing it on my 2019, but I also have a Fortin so maybe that's why.

Ah okay, so it was the Fortin I was thinking of, thanks.

Turning the key twice may unlock all doors.

Tried that as well, only the driver's door would unlock.

Thank you both for chiming in! I just went and tried on my 2017 (stock, no remote start or anything) and after closing the doors and having the key in my hand, I can indeed lock all the doors using the physical key. Remote fob buttons do not work to unlock the doors, so when you return to the car you have to use the physical key again to unlock the doors: A quick key turn unlocks the drivers door only; turning and holding the key for 1-2 seconds unlocks the rest of the doors.

By using Fortin do you have to press the start button without depressing the brake pedal every time you get in the car? Thinking of getting it done but the installer say Mazda make it so complicated ...not sure why?

By using Fortin do you have to press the start button without depressing the brake pedal every time you get in the car? Thinking of getting it done but the installer say Mazda make it so complicated ...not sure why?

There is a good thread on this forum about installing the fortin remote start. it is not complicated at all and you can do it yourself. i dont own one yet (will do before winter hit).

There is a good thread on this forum about installing the fortin remote start. it is not complicated at all and you can do it yourself. i don*t own one yet (will do before winter hit).
If you're getting remote start in hopes of warming your car up when it's cold out, don't waste your $$. The 2nd gen CX-9 (and some other Mazdas) do not circulate coolant through the heater core until RPMs are above a certain threshold, meaning the car will not blow warm air if it is just sitting in Park.

If you're getting remote start in hopes of warming your car up when it's cold out, don't waste your $$. The 2nd gen CX-9 (and some other Mazdas) do not circulate coolant through the heater core until RPMs are above a certain threshold, meaning the car will not blow warm air if it is just sitting in Park.

This is partially false (at least in my experience). The car itself will warm up just fine, though starting it and leaving it to idle to warm up the engine puts unnecessary wear on the engine (better to start it up and start driving). The HVAC will blow warm air, but it will not blow hot air. Don't expect to open the door and feel like you're entering a sauna. When you put the car in gear and start driving it, the cabin heats up quite quickly.

I have tested this myself on my 2018. Results in this thread.

This is partially false (at least in my experience). The car itself will warm up just fine, though starting it and leaving it to idle to warm up the engine puts unnecessary wear on the engine (better to start it up and start driving). The HVAC will blow warm air, but it will not blow hot air. Don't expect to open the door and feel like you're entering a sauna. When you put the car in gear and start driving it, the cabin heats up quite quickly.

I have tested this myself on my 2018. Results in this thread.
I read and had posted in that thread and I believe that there may be a difference between Canadian and US market cars. I agree, the engine warms up fine, but the way the HVAC system is designed results in the car not blowing hot air into the cabin while the car is in Park, even if the engine is fully up to operating temperature.

I tested my CX-9 and my wife's VW Tiguan side by side this past winter on a 0*F day and the VW was blowing hot air within 5-7 minutes with the cabin seemingly fully warmed up in about 10 minutes total. At 10 minutes, my CX-9 still had the low engine temp light on and was blowing barely lukewarm air at best, with the cabin still extremely cold.

I don't think this is a fluke as several other US owners can attest and this is the official response from Mazda (according to a poster in a different thread): The vehicle has a coolant control valve for emissions, which is closed at idle. If the car is left on a driveway idling, then it will not demist as no hot coolant is circulated to the heater. This is normal operation of the vehicle.

This all sounds like another great reason to install an electric engine heater. If an electric receptacle is available, an electric engine heater will have the engine warm ready for your drive, it'll save gas when you first drive off (cold engine operation wastes gasoline), it'll reduce engine emissions from a cold engine, and engine wear will be reduced during those cold minutes. In really frigid regions put electric heat under the battery and transmission as well.

Back