2016 GT vs 2018/2019 GT

BaLs

hello everyone, potential CX-9 owner here. Coming from 2016 Subaru Outback.
I have been test driving few 3 rows SUV for past weeks and finally settled on CX-9,
but coming from Subaru Outback with eyesigth technology (such a great car) I really want to make sure
I made the right switch. So here are few questions that I hope you guys can help me to answer.

I'm looking at 2016 Grand Touring model (to keep the monthly payment low) and 2018 or 2019 model.

1. In terms of sfety features( Adaptive cruise control, Lane Keep Assist, rear cross traffic) is there a big difference between 2016 and 2018/2019 model?
2. I know in 2018/2019 model for GT there are heating strearing wheel and ventilated seats. What are other new features in 2018/2019 that 2016 doesnt have?
3. In terms of ride quality and quiteness how much better is 2018/2019 compare to 2016?
4. One of the reasons I'm looking at 2016 model is the ability to apply MazdaTweaks AIO updates. How you would recommend this?
My research show only 2016 and 2017 models works for MazdaTweaks, is this true?
5. In terms of heads up display (Active Driving Display with Traffic Sign Recognition) how much difference between 2016 and 2018 model?
Does 2016 model have Traffic Sign Recognition?
6. 2016 being first model year of second genration, is there any known issue for this model year?

hello everyone, potential CX-9 owner here. Coming from 2016 Subaru Outback.
I have been test driving few 3 rows SUV for past weeks and finally settled on CX-9,
but coming from Subaru Outback with eyesigth technology (such a great car) I really want to make sure
I made the right switch. So here are few questions that I hope you guys can help me to answer.

I'm looking at 2016 Grand Touring model (to keep the monthly payment low) and 2018 or 2019 model.

1. In terms of sfety features( Adaptive cruise control, Lane Keep Assist, rear cross traffic) is there a big difference between 2016 and 2018/2019 model?
2. I know in 2018/2019 model for GT there are heating strearing wheel and ventilated seats. What are other new features in 2018/2019 that 2016 doesnt have?
3. In terms of ride quality and quiteness how much better is 2018/2019 compare to 2016?
4. One of the reasons I'm looking at 2016 model is the ability to apply MazdaTweaks AIO updates. How you would recommend this?
My research show only 2016 and 2017 models works for MazdaTweaks, is this true?
5. In terms of heads up display (Active Driving Display with Traffic Sign Recognition) how much difference between 2016 and 2018 model?
Does 2016 model have Traffic Sign Recognition?
6. 2016 being first model year of second genration, is there any known issue for this model year?

Just FYI, comparing the 2016 Owner's Manual to the 2018 Owner's Manual answers most (but not all) of your questions.

1. 2016 manual makes no mention of pedestrian detection, while 2018 manual does. 2018+ models also have MRCC with Stop & Go function.

2. In 2018, they made the 3rd row more accessible by allowing the 2nd row to slide forward a few more inches. 2018's 2nd row outboard seats also have seat warmers. 360 camera is available on 2019 models, same with Android Auto/Apple Car Play.

3. I think in the 2019 they "retuned" suspension and added thicker floor mats to further reduce NVH slightly. Not sure if you'd be able to tell the difference between 2016 and 2018 based on NVH alone.

4. I believe that's correct, in 2018+ firmware has to be updated via a serial port, not the USB port.

5. No TSR available, according to the 2016 manual.

6. The biggest issues were due to buggy infotainment systems. Some cases were resolved with firmware updates, while others could only be resolved by removing and replacing infotainment components (like the screen).

I personally went with a 2018 when I was shopping because I liked the easier 3rd row entry, 2nd row heated seats and MRCC w/ Stop & Go function. The 2019 wasn't out yet, but I think I would have gone with the 2018 anyway because the most notable features (360 cam, AA/ACP) weren't worth the higher price to me.

Just FYI, comparing the 2016 Owner's Manual to the 2018 Owner's Manual answers most (but not all) of your questions.

1. 2016 manual makes no mention of pedestrian detection, while 2018 manual does. 2018+ models also have MRCC with Stop & Go function.

2. In 2018, they made the 3rd row more accessible by allowing the 2nd row to slide forward a few more inches. 2018's 2nd row outboard seats also have seat warmers. 360 camera is available on 2019 models, same with Android Auto/Apple Car Play.

3. I think in the 2019 they "retuned" suspension and added thicker floor mats to further reduce NVH slightly. Not sure if you'd be able to tell the difference between 2016 and 2018 based on NVH alone.

4. I believe that's correct, in 2018+ firmware has to be updated via a serial port, not the USB port.

5. No TSR available, according to the 2016 manual.

6. The biggest issues were due to buggy infotainment systems. Some cases were resolved with firmware updates, while others could only be resolved by removing and replacing infotainment components (like the screen).

I personally went with a 2018 when I was shopping because I liked the easier 3rd row entry, 2nd row heated seats and MRCC w/ Stop & Go function. The 2019 wasn't out yet, but I think I would have gone with the 2018 anyway because the most notable features (360 cam, AA/ACP) weren't worth the higher price to me.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Follow up question.

1. In terms MRCC and Lane Keep Assist only is there any improvement from 2016 model, I know you mentioned stop and go but other than any improvement on existing features?
I commute to work 3 hours day, adaptive cruise control and Lane Keep Assist very crucial for me.
2. This is interesting, I test drive the 2019 model I found the 3rd row is spacious when the second row slides forward with plenty of spaces for someone 5'7" but I haven't test drive 2016 model yet.
4. Is that means the system still can be updated via serial port because I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkLGoF1O8L4

Thank you so much for your reply.

Follow up question.

1. In terms MRCC and Lane Keep Assist only is there any improvement from 2016 model, I know you mentioned stop and go but other than any improvement on existing features?
I commute to work 3 hours day, adaptive cruise control and Lane Keep Assist very crucial for me.
2. This is interesting, I test drive the 2019 model I found the 3rd row is spacious when the second row slides forward with plenty of spaces for someone 5'7" but I haven't test drive 2016 model yet.
4. Is that means the system still can be updated via serial port because I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkLGoF1O8L4

1. Pedestrian detection was introduced on 2018+ models. Aside from that, MRCC and Lane Keep Assist are the same, I believe.

** Actually, now that you mention your 3 hour commute, one thing I forgot about is the driver's seat vertical thigh adjustment in the 2018+. The 2016 didn't have thigh adjustment, so before you buy it, make sure the seat is comfortable enough for a daily 3 hour commute.

2. It really only makes a difference in entry/exit from the 3rd row. I'm about the same height as you, weighing 210lbs and I can get in and out quite easily. It would be a little harder for me in the 16-17 models.

4. Yes I think it can still be updated, it's just a little harder to do. That said, I'm not familiar on the process.

1. Pedestrian detection was introduced on 2018+ models. Aside from that, MRCC and Lane Keep Assist are the same, I believe.

** Actually, now that you mention your 3 hour commute, one thing I forgot about is the driver's seat vertical thigh adjustment in the 2018+. The 2016 didn't have thigh adjustment, so before you buy it, make sure the seat is comfortable enough for a daily 3 hour commute.

2. It really only makes a difference in entry/exit from the 3rd row. I'm about the same height as you, weighing 210lbs and I can get in and out quite easily. It would be a little harder for me in the 16-17 models.

4. Yes I think it can still be updated, it's just a little harder to do. That said, I'm not familiar on the process.

Thank you so much for your reply. The thigh adjustment is something I was't aware so its great you mentioned it. I did test drive the 2019 model but not 2016 so I need to test 2016 model before decide for sure.

What is the oil change interval for cx-9? Where I can find manuals for cx-9 online?

Just do a Google search for 20XX Mazda CX-9 Owner's Manual. The recommended oil change interval can vary depending on where you are. For me, it's every 8000 km.

Check out this video review of the 2019 Mazda CX-9 by Straightpipes. One of the reviewers loves the drive of the CX-9 BUT cannot recommend it for himself due to the driving position. He does recommend it for everyone else. And, yes, the addition of the thigh support in 2018 makes a non-choice for 206/2017 model years.

[VIDEO=youtube;WiTmSRUZXoE]2019 Mazda CX-9 Review - Three Rows of Joy[/VIDEO]

Check out this video review of the 2019 Mazda CX-9 by Straightpipes. One of the reviewers loves the drive of the CX-9 BUT cannot recommend it for himself due to the driving position. He does recommend it for everyone else. And, yes, the addition of the thigh support in 2018 makes a non-choice for 206/2017 model years.
[/VIDEO]

I am tall like one of the reviewers in the video. I do agree that the inward slant of the door and center console makes it impossible to drive without resting your legs on the trim, but I suspect that this is something that I could get used to.

On the other hand, the CX-9 appears to suffer from the same problem that has plagued other Japanese cars that I*ve driven over the years*they*re not made for tall people. Even in the 2018/2019 CX-9, the driver*s seat adjusts, but not nearly enough and in the wrong way. For example, the entire seat can be raised and lowered, which is good. The front of the seat bottom can be raised and lowered, which is also good, except that it can be lowered a whole lot more than it can be raised, which is NOT good if you*re tall. In fact, it appears that the front will tilt down so much that you could possibly slide off of it forward, and I can*t imagine how that is a good driving position for anyone.

I really wish that I could drive this car for more than a 10 minute test drive, but I can*t find any rental agency that rents them. The long-term comfort as the driver is my #1 concern with the car.

I'm only 5'8" and average build so I'm lucky the seats are great for me. I just tested them on a 3 day 1500 mile trip and I was never squirming. I can see how it could get tight for anyone over 6 feet though. It is very much a cockpit feel which I prefer. Mine is a late model 2018 so it has the newer seat controls. I have no problem finding ,multiple good seating positions. The steering wheel could be power with more range if I had my way.

I really wish that I could drive this car for more than a 10 minute test drive, but I can*t find any rental agency that rents them. The long-term comfort as the driver is my #1 concern with the car.

I have heard of people taking cars on "extended test drives". These test drives allow the potential customer to take the car home for a day or two. When I was younger, this wasn't a possibility, but it sounds like these extended test drives are becoming more and more common. It might be worth inquiring about an extended test drive at the dealer you're considering. If you explain your concerns, maybe they can offer you an extended test drive.

[VIDEO=youtube;WiTmSRUZXoE]2019 Mazda CX-9 Review - Three Rows of Joy[/VIDEO]

I did watched this video plus about 2 dozen of other reviews on CX-9 including some of 2016 models.
Yes I did find the seat and legroom space for drive smaller than my outback the seats and sound system definetly much better than Outback.
Outback lumber support is bad.

I am tall like one of the reviewers in the video. I do agree that the inward slant of the door and center console makes it impossible to drive without resting your legs on the trim, but I suspect that this is something that I could get used to.

On the other hand, the CX-9 appears to suffer from the same problem that has plagued other Japanese cars that I*ve driven over the years*they*re not made for tall people. Even in the 2018/2019 CX-9, the driver*s seat adjusts, but not nearly enough and in the wrong way. For example, the entire seat can be raised and lowered, which is good. The front of the seat bottom can be raised and lowered, which is also good, except that it can be lowered a whole lot more than it can be raised, which is NOT good if you*re tall. In fact, it appears that the front will tilt down so much that you could possibly slide off of it forward, and I can*t imagine how that is a good driving position for anyone.

I have heard of people taking cars on "extended test drives". These test drives allow the potential customer to take the car home for a day or two. When I was younger, this wasn't a possibility, but it sounds like these extended test drives are becoming more and more common. It might be worth inquiring about an extended test drive at the dealer you're considering. If you explain your concerns, maybe they can offer you an extended test drive.

Yes I agree sometimes the amount of time you spend on test drive could not give a real feel of the seat comfort level. Looking for CX9 rental car is a good idea. I'm not sure of my local dealer offer extended test drive. I know few years back my Subaru dealer did mentioned something about bring the car back home for a day.

Back