Wife complaining about her new CX-5

Hello folks.

Just upgraded our car from the 2016 CX-5 to the 2019 CX-5 GT (FWD). My wife has been complaining that the breaks are softer (require more force to stop) and that the car rolls back when on a slope (shouldn't hill assist kick in?). She says this is different from her 2016 CX-5. Took the car to the dealer they said the breaks are fine.

Wondering what's your guys' experience? Is this normal or should I insist they repair it?

Hello folks.

Just upgraded our car from the 2016 CX-5 to the 2019 CX-5 GT (FWD). My wife has been complaining that the breaks are softer (require more force to stop) and that the car rolls back when on a slope (shouldn't hill assist kick in?). She says this is different from her 2016 CX-5. Took the car to the dealer they said the breaks are fine.

Wondering what's your guys' experience? Is this normal or should I insist they repair it?

If I were you I would stay out of it and let your wife talk to the dealership employees.
We currently have both a 2016 and 2019 CX-5 and have never noticed any difference regarding brakes.

If I were you I would stay out of it and let your wife talk to the dealership employees.
We currently have both a 2016 and 2019 CX-5 and have never noticed any difference regarding brakes.

My 2019 brakes feel the same as my 2015 brakes. Don't put yourself in the middle of this.

I've found the hill launch assist to be pretty sketchy on mine, can't count on it. I use auto hold most of the time anyway.
My brake pedal also feels soft, but I've never compared it to a KE. They work fine, however.
You're going to have to deal with her feelings, so good luck with your wife!

How many miles on the 2019. I've found it does take a few thousand miles for the vehicle, including brakes to settle in. Ed

I have also noticed a slightly higher brake force required compared with my other two cars. I have attributed this to break-in (only 500 miles) or just a difference between cars. In either case, I figure I will get used to it. The hill assist only operates for 2 seconds from the time you remove your foot from the brake pedal. Additionally, it does not work on slight grades, if you don't come to a complete stop, or when facing downhill (in drive). The manual cautions reliance on hill assist.

This thread needs Dr. Phil. Whatever your wife says, just agree with her (so advises the single man).

Kidding aside, I live in a rural area and had my car for a week before needing to panic-stop due to slower traffic in front of me (as opposed to anticipating traffic lights & stop signs). I was not used to the soft brakes in such a situation, and I came up on the guy in front of me pretty quickly. The car applied the brakes on my behalf before I even realized what was happening. Now I know.

Last edited:
Our 2017 CX5 GT definitely requires more braking force than any other car we have owned. Just took a bit to get used to it, seems normal now when I get to drive it (wife's daily).

My mother in law's 2018 brakes do feel softer than my 2013. I didn't find it annoying or worrisome though. I got used to it pretty quickly.

Didn't notice anything strange with the hill assist on the 2018. My 2013 applies it too often even on flat ground. I routinely have to wait ~2 seconds to press the gas after shifting from reverse to drive. Any sooner and the brakes are still applied. The car will surge forward when the hill assist releases.

When I drove my parents' 2017 CX-5, I thought the brakes were softer than the ones on our 2016 CX-5.

She must of felt the brakes, when test driving no? She just needs to get used to it, it is a different car.

Back