Rust spots on rear window chrome trim 2018 cx 5 GT

:
2018 cx5 GT
Just finished waxing the 2018 cx 5 and noticed on the rear chrome trim (hockey stick looking trim) I have quiet a few rust spots. I know its just fall out thats in bedded into the chrome , I park right near a very active train track at work. Just wondering the best way to clean it or get it out? Would a clay bar work? I tried using my nails to pick it off and no go there. And also anyway I can protect it, wax it maybe?
Thanks !

Just finished waxing the 2018 cx 5 and noticed on the rear chrome trim (hockey stick looking trim) I have quiet a few rust spots. I know its just fall out thats in bedded into the chrome , I park right near a very active train track at work. Just wondering the best way to clean it or get it out? Would a clay bar work? I tried using my nails to pick it off and no go there. And also anyway I can protect it, wax it maybe?
Thanks !

Clay bar.... also, Iron-X works well prior to claying. Put a good coat of wax on afterwards.

Ya I just read about that iron-x stuff I*m going to order some. Wax is fine on that fake chrome stuff then I*m presuming ?
Thanks !

Since you've already waxed the car, I'd go with the clay bar. It'll come off very easily.

That's a little concerning. Pictures please.

Nothing to be concerned about, as OP stated it's just industrial fallout from the train tracks nearby. It'll come right off with the clay bar. Protecting the area with a wax or sealant will ensure that future fallout will not get embedded in the clearcoat and will instead become easier to remove.

Nothing to be concerned about, as OP stated it's just industrial fallout from the train tracks nearby. It'll come right off with the clay bar. Protecting the area with a wax or sealant will ensure that future fallout will not get embedded in the clearcoat and will instead become easier to remove.

Yup that*s all it is not a big deal. Will get it removed and put some wax on it. Should be good after that :)

Ya I just read about that iron-x stuff I*m going to order some. Wax is fine on that fake chrome stuff then I*m presuming ?
Thanks !

I love iron-x and it makes using a clay bar or nanomitt much easier. Pretty cool to watch it work. I have used it as a clay lubricant as well so that you are combining two steps in one and other times rinsed it off and then nanomitt next with actual clay lubricant. Takes decontamination to the next level in the detailing process. I am finding it to be one the most effective steps. The attached image is actually very mild looking in comparison to the very first time I used it. Smells horrible and can stink up the garage. I keep the container in a thick plastic bag and it still smells if you get close to it, but well worth it IMO.

ZvG6roUde9tMwhD7En8IXB_EtvJ_Jpg8oJOuWJAeO6t2ln31iZT5CsUKAaS_i6dby2o2lwYR4-ImpC0Z_iQtEp8llRLfrLONQv_Nz-6C56hMFBhx5NFObL-NI3b5Tq3WpvKMUcT4Vm97muVrU8BmjpdsookjWZbJ6IFgap0AuRxCcRO6acNV70aKNOUfbtQ_GT4yN2bWkdDHU6nhSEA9n7EpDSSPuGthUNtXf_E6d3IqwUL5AJ_Fhf7IFNvtwi8nqWAvnLOFDodUc1uJHBKGVD2n9QutDSjzu8TWwu0iOm_mn3ILNBvDZj2QiUDm0_3gTMRrbVAWNzVdbx7KtnEKP7IDxTKJ15oNpqAA22XRXfuGGh0XxIR1t2ZSnGdD3YMpxvgObH8HamjMPvp6DMzD2bhGaesPEg_XBj5MXmsJlOKSiWVLkmR44nzbrTWi91Gu1M6Rof9Miun1CsfFFS9Yd3OBg92d7WuLf6HDWNzNIfS3SZp_GPTcMqb0Pbqs8Oo1DwYe94xDx-Vla5J4Luh-fkuHuKl6X9hyWLA7CK0UGhz48U-kch9cGVLAwHTsPDuh9bk1IXEmSn2F10akISHdBFFkqW3TXaPDI5fKZXwoKVfahzRJGVg8nlOnQF_nuuAkomWynnevGJ3mdnJrLxjxqa2qG9RGWf4=w1146-h859-no

Last edited:
Something else that may help is a good synthetic spray wax in between real waxes. I have been using Meguiar's D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray for a while now. I use it each time I wash our vehicles and then wax them just once or twice a year, at most. It helps a ton with environmental fallout and I find I don't have to remove the fallout nearly as often. It's safe for trim, black plastic, headlights, chrome, all painted surfaces, etc. It has UV protectors too which help a lot with all of that trim that just sits in the Sun all day every day. I love it.

Thinking I should try some of that Iron-X. Do you think a DIY car wash bay would mind?

Thinking I should try some of that Iron-X. Do you think a DIY car wash bay would mind?

Lol, you'd probably get some complaints from the people around you. The smell is quite strong. I would spray it on the car in the open air, maybe in the parking lot just outside the entrance to the car wash. Let the Iron-X do it's thing, then drive into the wash bay and give it a full wash. If possible, bring your own bucket and wash the car with a pH neutral soap. Ensure that you get some wax or sealant protection on the car afterwards.

Lol, you'd probably get some complaints from the people around you. The smell is quite strong. I would spray it on the car in the open air, maybe in the parking lot just outside the entrance to the car wash. Let the Iron-X do it's thing, then drive into the wash bay and give it a full wash. If possible, bring your own bucket and wash the car with a pH neutral soap. Ensure that you get some wax or sealant protection on the car afterwards.
Yeah I just don't have anywhere to do this kind of work which is why I wondered.

Sounds like good advice, thank you.

Back