CX-5 GT-R Sloppy Shift Into Second When Cold

I’m finding that the shift into second gear is rather sloppy before the engine reaches operating temperature.

Before the engine is warmed up, when it shifts into second, the RPMs jump for a second or 2 before dropping down about 200 RPMs and fully engaging second. For example, I have a video where it shifts into second, jumps to 2500 for a second, then drops to 2300.

This only occurs when the coolant temp is below the middle tick on the gauge. Once its above that temp, the shift is crisp and the RPMs do not jump, then fall back as the vehicle accelerates.

I’m not noticing this on my wifes 16 GT.

I know there were some changes to the transmission since the first gen, so Im wondering if this is normal.

It appears to be different from what is being reported in the jerky transmission thread.

Thoughts? Anyone else notice this wih a gen 2? Specifically a turbo model.

A friend of mine who is a certified technician for a different OEM said he would refer to this as a cold 1-2 shift flare.

He said it could be intentional to help warm the transmission fluid.

Im going to reach out to my drealer and see what they say.

Last edited:
Transmissions do funky stuff when cold. The only thing I can think it is, is the logic not locking the converter on the 1-2 shift even though it's above 10mph, so as to save strain on the transmission when cold.

Mine does that too. I'm not sure if it's trans or VVT though.. but since I have 2 poly mounts it's very noticable

Transmissions do funky stuff when cold. The only thing I can think it is, is the logic not locking the converter on the 1-2 shift even though it's above 10mph, so as to save strain on the transmission when cold.

Ive thought that as well. However, the more I think about it the more concerned I am that the slipping then engaging will cause damage long term.

My buddy was saying that as it slips it will generate more heat, which was his reasoning for thinking its intentional to get the trans temp up faster.

Kind of a bummer since it does this until its at or close to operating temp, no matter what the outside temp is. The warmest cold start so far was upper 60s.

not the most pleasant experience. Reminds me of being in my 98 f150 with 186k on the original transmission.

I*ve thought that as well. However, the more I think about it the more concerned I am that the slipping then engaging will cause damage long term.

My buddy was saying that as it slips it will generate more heat, which was his reasoning for thinking it*s intentional to get the trans temp up faster.

Kind of a bummer since it does this until it*s at or close to operating temp, no matter what the outside temp is. The warmest cold start so far was upper 60s.

not the most pleasant experience. Reminds me of being in my 98 f150 with 186k on the original transmission.

Maybe you could video this?

Our 2019 Signature doesnt do this. I will say though that our Jeep Grand Cherokee shifts hard for the first few miles when its cold outside. Then its pretty good after that.

Just watch it for a while and ask your dealer to look into it at your next service. Drop it off the night before and ask the tech to specifically test drive it first thing in the morning.

If its not excessive (the flare) and it goes away, its probably fine/normal. Only thing odd is I dont notice this with our Sig. then again, that could be because it acts far less wonky than my Jeep!

What strikes me as odd about that video is that the acceleration appears to be steady even when the revs rise and drop. Can you hear the engine rev [even tho it's not much] while it's "slipping"? Can you feel any change in acceleration?

And for feedback, no, my 17 doesn't do that that I've ever noticed. I notice that it shifts into 2nd almost immediately after the car starts rolling. I would never short shift like that with a stick.

Both of mine did, its more notable when cold and withoit being coupled, the engine revs to 1800rpm or so.

When my car is cold I never give it much gas so maybe that is why I havn't had it do that. I'm lucky that there is usually no traffic when I leave home and I don't have to take off to get into traffic.

Seems like its the converter locking from what I can tell. However the way it functions is much different when its not at operating temp.

It also does this when shifting into second at higher RPMs, so its not just below the 1800 rpm lockup.

Ill get an updated video with a higher rpm shift.

Ill also try to get to checking the fluid level this weekend. Hopefully removing the air box will be enough to access the dip stick.

Back