CX-5 Adaptive Headlights - Jumpy / Jittery

cali-cx-5

:
2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve
Has anyone else noticed their headlights are a bit jumpy or jittery.

I don't notice it when I am driving at speed, but in the garage when I can see them on the wall it isnt the smoothest movement. Is that something to be concerned about, or am I only noticing it because I can see the pinpoint of the light on the wall?

(Both sides appear to be doing this and I couldn't find a thread on it).

They auto level every single time you turn on the car. This is what you are seeing. If you don't see this, something is wrong.

Has anyone else noticed their headlights are a bit jumpy or jittery.

I don't notice it when I am driving at speed, but in the garage when I can see them on the wall it isnt the smoothest movement. Is that something to be concerned about, or am I only noticing it because I can see the pinpoint of the light on the wall?

(Both sides appear to be doing this and I couldn't find a thread on it).

Mine are the same. I'd call it normal, since both are equal, and now apparently, mine isn't the only one.

He's talking about when he's in Park in his driveway. They do jitter when they auto level. Surely you've noticed this? The turning doesn't activate in Park.

He's talking about when he's in Park in his driveway. They do jitter when they auto level. Surely you've noticed this? The turning doesn't activate in Park.

Mine [17] don't auto level, but they sweep laterally to the outside when they first turn on. And they do it in park, because I leave them on auto, so they do it a few seconds after ignition.

That may be another difference between the 16.5 and 17. Would make sense since they're different units. Perhaps the older ones move vertically every time at startup, but the newer ones "know" that they're level because they were level when turned off, so they don't change the height. [wild guess]

Mine seem rock solid, but I haven't ever examined the margins on a wall when stopped.

Sorry to contradict Shadonoz but all CX5s including 17 on models have auto levelling although the 17 on models are improved. The models up to 16.5 had a little arm attached to the suspension from a potentiometer but it was prone to problems in some environments. The 17 on models have moved to the interior where they are free from such problems. Now you have a pendulum to measure vehicle attitude and that adjusts the level.

Attachments

• Lights headlight levelling.pdf
    708.4 KB · Views: 369
Mine [17] don't auto level, but they sweep laterally to the outside when they first turn on. And they do it in park,

That's the leveling. OP isn't calling it jumpy because they move up and down.
Actually surprised no one has ever had this question before. LoL

Sorry to contradict Shadonoz but all CX5s including 17 on models have auto levelling although the 17 on models are improved. The models up to 16.5 had a little arm attached to the suspension from a potentiometer but it was prone to problems in some environments. The 17 on models have moved to the interior where they are free from such problems. Now you have a pendulum to measure vehicle attitude and that adjusts the level.

Of course, I understand that mine has auto leveling, but my point was that it doesn't move my headlights as described.

That's the leveling. OP isn't calling it jumpy because they move up and down.
Actually surprised no one has ever had this question before. LoL

You and I are talking about two different things. Mine definitely don't move up and down when the car is not moving. And the motion is a smooth sweep, not jumpy. If they're "jumpy or jittery", something may be wrong, as the OP was wondering. A video would be helpful here.

How do you relate side to side motion to leveling, 7? Or maybe yours don't do what mine do. Do your headlights look around corners like mine? What I'm seeing at startup seems to be that function initializing.

OP, were you referring to startup? Can you post a video?

Of course, I understand that mine has auto leveling, but my point was that it doesn't move my headlights as described.

You and I are talking about two different things. Mine definitely don't move up and down when the car is not moving. And the motion is a smooth sweep, not jumpy. If they're "jumpy or jittery", something may be wrong, as the OP was wondering. A video would be helpful here.

How do you relate side to side motion to leveling, 7? Or maybe yours don't do what mine do. Do your headlights look around corners like mine? What I'm seeing at startup seems to be that function initializing.

OP, were you referring to startup? Can you post a video?

Mine just go side-to-side (not up/down). I have only had them NOT auto level once and I got a dash light. This is when it was negative digits though. I then restarted the car, they auto-leveled, and I've had no further issues.

Mine do what yours do. That's the auto leveling feature. It's not initializing the bendy lights. It is because your car has the bendy lights that enables your headlights the ability to align themselves.

Mine do what yours do. That's the auto leveling feature. It's not initializing the bendy lights. It is because your car has the bendy lights that enables your headlights the ability to align themselves.

Anchorman's pdf indicates otherwise. Notice that there are 2 leveling systems: one with adaptive headlights, and one without. So if a car can have a leveling system without adaptive headlights, the leveling system is separate from the adaptive system.

Here's something from a pdf Anchorman uploaded last year [light front.pdf p.2]:

With parking light (LED type) and without adaptive LED headlights
The front combination light groups the front turn light bulb.
The front combination light is integrated with the following parts:
― Headlight HI/LO (LED)
― Running light (LED)(with running light system)
― Parking light (LED)(without running light system)
― Running light/parking light (LED)(with running light system)
― Headlight leveling actuator
― Swivel actuator (with adaptive front lighting system (AFS))

Notice the mention of a leveling actuator AND a swivel actuator.

What makes you think the swivel at startup has anything to do with the leveling, 7?

Um... an assumption?!? And well, you know what they say about that. [emoji37]
My bad apparently.
Answer still apllies though at least. It's normal, OP. [emoji106]

Mine has got the standard auto levelling and the optional Adaptive lighting. When started, it checks the up and down axis, not left and right. I couldn*t tell you what is checking what but they motor up and down. If I had to guess, I would say levelling.

our 2018 does that but anytime the headlights move on their own (in park or driving) it is very smooth.

Mine has got the standard auto levelling and the optional Adaptive lighting. When started, it checks the up and down axis, not left and right. I couldn*t tell you what is checking what but they motor up and down. If I had to guess, I would say levelling.

Do you have the full adaptive setup with the multiple leds that selectively turn on and off for oncoming traffic, etc, and has the dedicated leds on the sides for turning? That's entirely different from the limited US version.

If they go up and down, they're leveling by definition. Mine just go wall-eyed for a second, no vertical motion.

Did you notice the pdf mentioned the leveling doesn't react unless it senses a change for more than 50 seconds?

We need videos.

@shadonoz it isnt at startup, they seem jittery side to side when I am moving at slow speed (pulling back into the garage / parking structure), I only see it against the wall (not when im actually driving).

For example I take a right turn into the garage and the right light jitters back and forth as I am turning (Im not bouncing the wheel back and forth), but there is also a bump, so it could be leveling and turning at the same time and it just isnt a smooth operation bc down the road it wouldnt be noticed (it can only be seen on the wall)

It is at low speed.

Does this help?

@shadonoz it isnt at startup, they seem jittery side to side when I am moving at slow speed (pulling back into the garage / parking structure), I only see it against the wall (not when im actually driving).

For example I take a right turn into the garage and the right light jitters back and forth as I am turning (Im not bouncing the wheel back and forth), but there is also a bump, so it could be leveling and turning at the same time and it just isnt a smooth operation bc down the road it wouldnt be noticed (it can only be seen on the wall)

It is at low speed.

Does this help?

Please see my original post...

If you're sure it's not just the normal AFS movement, you should probably have it looked at.

Can you take a video of it and share it here?

Back