My brakes squeek loudly when backing up - Is this normal for a CX5

:
2016.5 CX5 Touring
2016.5 CX5 Touring. I constantly get brake squeak when backing up. I do not seem to have it when slowing down.

CPO car, haven't even had it for a year. They squeaked a little when we bought it, seems to have gotten worse but I do not see the pads wore down too badly.

Is this an issue that needs to be dealt with or would this be a warranty covered issue?

Have the brakes inspected. The cause is usually one of a few things:

The pads are worn and the squeal is from the metal strip in the pad.

The pads backing plate and holder need to be lubed and are allowing the pads to vibrate.

The pads and rotors got glazed and need to be deglazed or replaced.

Brakes are a maintainance item, I would be surprised if they are covered by an warranty.

I had a 2014, the CX5 is notorious for eating through rear pads and rotors....which is weird normally, but with Brake Force Distribution they get worked much harder...

We have the 1 year warranty with the CPO coverage. This still wouldn't be a covered item? I guess I can call my local dealer and ask. I rotated the tires and the pads looked ok. I can take off a rear wheel and check again. I do feel like its coming from the rear. My wife hates the noise. She says it is embarrassing in parking lots as everyone stops and looks at the car.

I'm curious, how many miles are on the car?

I had one rear brake squealing from like 4-9K miles or something like that. My dealer said brakes are covered up to 12K miles. They inspected and "cleaned up" both rear brakes. I didn't ask too specifically what they did because the noise was resolved, the problem is superficial, and brakes are a wear item that I intend to replace myself when the time comes. So I'm not sure if they resurfaced the rotors or what. I general replace the rotors with the pads when I do brakes because they're not that expensive compared to the labor I save by doing it myself and its much more convenient than making multiple trips with the car on jack stands. And modern rotors tend to not be much larger than minimum thickness to begin with.

I was a brake engineer for 17 years and providing the pads are not worn out, dont worry about it. You can mess about with grease and cleaning them up but theyll only do it again after a while.

Could be as simple as calipers need greasing.
But the rear calipers are those kind that the Pistons get rotated back .

And the inside pad wears much faster on our vehicled

If you didn't say the pads were not worn down my guess would have been that the low pad metal thing was making the sound. It has to be the pads contacting the rotors making the sound or it would do it all the time. But pads are quiet. You said it always made the noise?

My 16 did it from nearly new but only in reverse and only when it was cold. Friction material absorbs moisture and moisture raises the friction. If it only does it going backwards, don*t worry about it.

Warped discs are actually quite rare (where the edge of the disc would look like a slightly twisting road) but DTV (disc thickness variation) is not. This would look like a thick thin road from the side but in both cases you might need a dial test gauge to measure it. Friction material depositing or transfer is common and does cause DTV. That does feel like judder through the steering wheel. Neither warped discs or DTV cause squeal. Fixes like roughing up the pad or disc surface or greasing pins and abutments are only temporary. I say again, if the pads are not worn out and it only does it for the tiny proportion of time you go backwards, don*t worry about it. Or go ahead, spend as much time and money as you like and it will be back in a few months.

Last edited:
My 16 did it from nearly new but only in reverse and only when it was cold. Friction material absorbs moisture and moisture raises the friction. If it only does it going backwards, don*t worry about it.

I say again, if the pads are not worn out and it only does it for the tiny proportion of time you go backwards, don*t worry about it. Or go ahead, spend as much time and money as you like and it will be back in a few months.

My 17 has done it since new, but only backing out of the garage first thing in the morning. Agreed this is nothing to be concerned about. Unless you back up for for miles at a time during your daily travels. Then it might get annoying, but would probably stop after the first 100 yards or so.

Back