Issues I didn't expect from the new 2019 Mazda3

Lundmand

:
Mazda 3 Cosmo 2.0 manual
Two weeks ago I took delivery of my new 2019 top-of-the-line Mazda 3 Cosmo 2.0 manual (EU model). There are SO MANY good things to say about this car. BUT!

Mazda - I really hope you're reading this:

- Left side mirror tends to vibrate during highway driving.
- Cylinder deactivation is often noticed as a slight "notch" in the engine power (deceleration). During periods when cylinder deactivation occurs repeatedly, this "notch" becomes annoying.
- If driving less than 60 mph on 2 cylinders (in cylinder deactivation mode), noticeable vibrations penetrate the cabin. If you have ever driven a car with a 2 cylinder engine before, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Vibrations disappear when all cylinders are activated.
- The Lane Keep Assist system cannot center the car between road markings at more than 35 mph. The current Mazda 6 and CX-5 can do this, despite having an older system.
- HOLD function turns off every time the engine is turned off.
- Cruise control and acceleration are too aggressive and cannot be adjusted.
- The parking sensor is activated prematurely during heavy traffic and cannot be temporarily deactivated. If you turn it off you have to remember to turn it on again.
- The fuel consumption unit cannot be changed. But the unit for tire pressure can.
- The animation of the car's wheels while driving in the "Energy flow monitoring" menu fails (the rims flutter - it almost resembles an epileptic seizure).

(rant) - The cylinder deactivation. PLEASE fix the cylinder deactivation. It's driving me nuts driving around in this beautiful piece of art, but feeling like it's an old Fiat 500 2-cyl up front!

Besides these 9 points, the car is FANTASTIC! I describe it to many that it's like driving Mercedes-Benz. As an engineer and programmer, I estimate that 6 out of 9 of these points can be corrected fairly easily by updating the car's software. I really hope this will happen soon.

Well, the big thing is that I can't find any evidence that the Euro 2.0 engine has cylinder deactivation. So, I am not sure what is going on here. Can the OP provide some clarification?

That car scoops thing is one thing but I still don't see anything official stating the 2.0 has cylinder deactivation. For example, if you look in Canada, where they have both the 2.0 and 2.5, the 2.5 is listed as having cylinder deactivation while the 2.0 is not.

Screen%20Shot%202019-04-21%20at%206.40.25%20PM.png

Call me skeptical but I don't think the 2.0 has cylinder deactivation. What you may be feeling is something else. I would take it to the dealer to find out what is going on.

Last edited:
The mirror is a warrantable fix. The parking sensor thing is usually a non-issue for me as I turn the parking sensors off after pulling out and I turn them back on when I'm parking. I don't think it would make sense to temporarily turn them off as you'd probably just have to turn them off again after a few minutes. You might just have to get used to turning them off and on as you need them.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying the Euro 2.0L has cylinder deactivation?

The Euro engine is a mild-hybrid with a li-Ion battery and cylinder de-activation for a total output of 120hp/157lbft. The Canada 2.0L is the exact same engine as was made for the prior gen in Canada. What we have in Canada is not related to the Euro 2.0l.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/europes-2019-mazda3-engine-specs-released-along-massive-gallery/

"Moving on to the Skyactiv-G 2.0 naturally aspirated gasoline engine, it produces 122 PS (120 hp) at 6,000 rpm and 213 Nm (157 lb-ft) of torque at 4,000 rpm. Thanks to Mazda*s new M Hybrid 24V mild hybrid system that features a 600 kJ lithium-ion battery and a DC-DC converter, as well as cylinder deactivation technology, the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine offers improved fuel economy and low particulate matter exhaust emissions. WLTP-rated average fuel consumption is as low as 6.0 l/100 km (47.1 mpg UK), with CO2 emissions of 136 g/km."

The Euro engine is a mild-hybrid with a li-Ion battery and cylinder de-activation for a total output of 120hp/157lbft. The Canada 2.0L is the exact same engine as was made for the prior gen in Canada. What we have in Canada is not related to the Euro 2.0l.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/europes-2019-mazda3-engine-specs-released-along-massive-gallery/

"Moving on to the Skyactiv-G 2.0 naturally aspirated gasoline engine, it produces 122 PS (120 hp) at 6,000 rpm and 213 Nm (157 lb-ft) of torque at 4,000 rpm. Thanks to Mazda*s new M Hybrid 24V mild hybrid system that features a 600 kJ lithium-ion battery and a DC-DC converter, as well as cylinder deactivation technology, the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine offers improved fuel economy and low particulate matter exhaust emissions. WLTP-rated average fuel consumption is as low as 6.0 l/100 km (47.1 mpg UK), with CO2 emissions of 136 g/km."

Yeah, I read that but am not sure I believe carscoops. The official Mazda site makes no mention of this. But honestly, lets assume it does have CD, which seems stupid for a car that makes 120 HP.

Yeah, I read that but am not sure I believe carscoops. The official Mazda site makes no mention of this. But honestly, lets assume it does have CD, which seems stupid for a car that makes 120 HP.

It is also mentioned in the Mazda UK press release.

https://www.insidemazda.co.uk/2019/...ecification-for-the-all-new-mazda3-hatchback/

Under the bonnet, for improved efficiency the Skyactiv-G petrol engine now features a cylinder deactivation system and Mazda*s M Hybrid 24V system. This mild-hybrid system improves fuel economy by recycling recovered kinetic energy. A belt-driven integrated starter generator (ISG) converts the energy in the 600kJ lithium-ion battery, while the DC-DC converter supplies it to the cars electrical equipment.

So when you test-drove the car you didn't notice any of this?

Two weeks ago I took delivery of my new 2019 top-of-the-line Mazda 3 Cosmo 2.0 manual (EU model). There are SO MANY good things to say about this car. BUT!

Mazda - I really hope you're reading this:

- Left side mirror tends to vibrate during highway driving.
- Cylinder deactivation is often noticed as a slight "notch" in the engine power (deceleration). During periods when cylinder deactivation occurs repeatedly, this "notch" becomes annoying.
- If driving less than 60 mph on 2 cylinders (in cylinder deactivation mode), noticeable vibrations penetrate the cabin. If you have ever driven a car with a 2 cylinder engine before, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Vibrations disappear when all cylinders are activated.
- The Lane Keep Assist system cannot center the car between road markings at more than 35 mph. The current Mazda 6 and CX-5 can do this, despite having an older system.
- HOLD function turns off every time the engine is turned off.
- Cruise control and acceleration are too aggressive and cannot be adjusted.
- The parking sensor is activated prematurely during heavy traffic and cannot be temporarily deactivated. If you turn it off you have to remember to turn it on again.
- The fuel consumption unit cannot be changed. But the unit for tire pressure can.
- The animation of the car's wheels while driving in the "Energy flow monitoring" menu fails (the rims flutter - it almost resembles an epileptic seizure).

(rant) - The cylinder deactivation. PLEASE fix the cylinder deactivation. It's driving me nuts driving around in this beautiful piece of art, but feeling like it's an old Fiat 500 2-cyl up front!

Besides these 9 points, the car is FANTASTIC! I describe it to many that it's like driving Mercedes-Benz. As an engineer and programmer, I estimate that 6 out of 9 of these points can be corrected fairly easily by updating the car's software. I really hope this will happen soon.

I have a Mercedes so I'll chime in on a few things.

Left mirror- that can be fixed

Cylinder deactivation- hopefully there will be an ECU update to smooth it out

LKAS - it's very dependent on the road marking and how the markings bend. A software update could make it better too.

Hold function works like it does on my Mercedes. It wont hold when you shut the engine off.

Cruise control is aggressive in all cars I've owned. German, Japanese and FCA

Parking sensor works the same on a Mercedes

Honda's VCM have had issues for years and would never touch one again. My driver mirror on my cx9 vibrates as well.

In the UK we have 5 models for the 2019 Mazda 3

SE
SE-L
Sport Lux
GT Sport
GT Sport Tech

All of them have cylindar deactivation. I have the sport lux and haven't noticed any of the issues you list. I am though going to take a drive and have a look at the engery flow animation, i've had it on before but not really taken too much notice.

I do sometimes get the word BRAKE flashing up on the hud when a car in on the other side of the road...

My main annoyance at the moment is that every bloody fuse appears to be constant, there not switched fuses... I can't understand for the life of me why things such as the central console dial needs a 12v feed ... when the car is turned off! And its the same with power sockets, and windows etc.

" HOLD function turns off every time the engine is turned off."

This is a feature on a several of the mazdas, you have to turn it on every ride. Mainly because holding the car on a foot brake is not the correct way to drive so shouldn't be encouraged. I wouldn't be surprised though if this can't be over riden via a secret menu option.

Last edited:
Back