has anybody installed a 7-pole trailer wiring harness?

:
CX-5, Jeep
I've searched the forums but not found an answer to this.

Has anybody installed a 7-pole trailer wiring harness with a trailer brake controller at the dash on a CX-5?

My main interest is mounting the 7-pole socket in a good place on the hitch. I could go with factory hitch or a couple aftermarket choices; possibly some will accomodate this better than others on a CX-5.
In addition, I'd appreciate any recommendations on a good choice for the trailer wiring harness.

I will be trading my 2013 CX-5 Sport for a 2016. My 2013 has factory hitch. The 7-pole harness was installed later by the trailer dealer, but I don't like the way it was done--the installer hung the bracket from the bottom of the mounting flange for the flat socket, so it sticks down well below the hitch, vulnerable and unsightly. But, looking down there, it's a challenge because of where the muffler is. He wasn't going to take the time that would have been required to put it in a better spot. I'm thinking if I could mount the bracket on a hitch prior to installating the hitch, I could put it in a better place and then it would be straightforward to cut away the bumper fascia where needed, if necessary.

The factory hitch is up higher than aftermarket hitches, so better ground clearance. Aftermarket hitches put the receiver below the bumper fascia. However, that position would make it easier to mount the socket. If the receiver is already down there, it can still be the lowest point, instead of the relatively fragile socket. So maybe that is what I'll need to do. A 1-1/4" Class I would be sufficient, no need for a 2 inch which would be that much bigger and project lower, unless the 2 inch offers a better way to mount the socket. The factory hitch is quite beefy.

If this were a Highlander or the like, there would be kits out there. There doesn't seem to be any kit or mount that is designed for a CX-5, so I will need to adapt something. So, if somebody out there has been through this and figured out how to do it, I would like to benefit from your experience.

We occasionally tow a Taxa Tiger Moth mini-camper. It weighs 1300 lbs. loaded so I'm within manufacturer recommendations as long as there are trailer brakes. My 2013 Sport manual tows the Moth ok, but at highway speeds the 2016's 30 extra horsepower would be nice--the Moth has a big flat frontal area which I think is a bigger challenge than its weight.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kurt

Back