has anybody installed a 7-pole trailer wiring harness?

:
CX-5, Jeep
I've searched the forums but not found an answer to this.

Has anybody installed a 7-pole trailer wiring harness with a trailer brake controller at the dash on a CX-5? I already have a Tekonsha brake controller, which mounts nicely in the little dash cubby at lower left.

My main interest is mounting the 7-pole socket in a good place on the hitch. I could go with factory hitch or a couple aftermarket choices; possibly some will accomodate this better than others on a CX-5.
In addition, I'd appreciate any recommendations on a good choice for the trailer wiring harness.

I will be trading my 2013 CX-5 Sport for a 2016. My 2013 has factory hitch. The 7-pole harness was installed later by the trailer dealer, but I don't like the way it was done--the installer hung the bracket from the bottom of the mounting flange for the flat socket, so it sticks down well below the hitch, vulnerable and unsightly. But, looking down there, it's a challenge because of where the muffler is. He wasn't going to take the time that would have been required to put it in a better spot. I'm thinking if I could mount the bracket on a hitch prior to installating the hitch, I could put it in a better place and then it would be straightforward to cut away the bumper fascia where needed, if necessary.

The factory hitch is up higher than aftermarket hitches, so better ground clearance. Aftermarket hitches put the receiver below the bumper fascia. However, that position would make it easier to mount the socket. If the receiver is already down there, it can still be the lowest point, instead of the relatively fragile socket. So maybe that is what I'll need to do. A 1-1/4" Class I would be sufficient, no need for a 2 inch which would be that much bigger and project lower, unless the 2 inch offers a better way to mount the socket. The factory hitch is quite beefy.

If this were a Highlander or the like, there would be kits out there. There doesn't seem to be any kit or mount that is designed for a CX-5, so I will need to adapt something. So, if somebody out there has been through this and figured out how to do it, I would like to benefit from your experience.

We occasionally tow a Taxa Tiger Moth mini-camper. It weighs 1300 lbs. loaded so I'm within manufacturer recommendations as long as there are trailer brakes. My 2013 Sport manual tows the Moth ok, but at highway speeds the 2016's 30 extra horsepower would be nice--the Moth has a big flat frontal area which I think is a bigger challenge than its weight.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kurt

Last edited:
Your state laws may differ but I dont think a trailer 1300 lbs requires brakes.
In any case, I went with an OEM class 2 hitch for a couple reasons,
1. the Mazda hitch is class 1, lower tongue weight limit and lower tow capacity
2. the Mazda hitch requires cutting a portion of the rear bumper fascia out to accommodate
3. the Mazda hitch bolts together vs being one welded piece
4. the aftermarket hitch was about half the price of the OEM

I dont think ground clearance is affected with a class 2 Aftermarket hitch as it does not hang any lower than the existing muffler
the 4 way flat aftermarket kit was relatively easy to install, had a better connection method than the OEM and was a bit cheaper than the OEM harness.
I am not affiliated with them in any way but check etrailer.com for CX5 equipment, they have a good selection

Thanks Mikey for your response. While law doesn't require brakes for 1300 lb trailer, Mazda does and I want to stay on the good side of manufacturer and liability. And, having driven with the brakes, I like them, they help.
Class I is all that's needed since nobody should be towing a trailer more than 1500 lbs with a CX-5 anyway, but of course there's no problem using a higher-rated hitch. As you point out, they are less expensive.
True the factory bumper requires cutting fascia, but the upside is then better ground clearance. But, that does make it harder to fit the connector.
I'm pretty sure my Mazda hitch was all one piece, others may be different.

But...after all that it might be moot. Today I was negotiating with the dealer on the trade, and as his final offer to sweeten the pot he offered to transfer my hitch from my old car to the new one for no charge. Regardless of any other hitch considerations, "cheap is good but free is better" :) so I think I'm gonna take him up on his offer and just deal with the connector later.

I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the connector better. Also still looking for recommendations on wiring harness. I've been all over etrailer--they are the best, but I'm still trying to sort it out. I'll probably go back to the guy who installed my last one and get some advice.

It is gonna be hard to part with my 2013 Sport manual. That thing is a blast to drive. After test driving a couple different automatics...interestingly they felt different from each other...no slushbox can compare with that feeling of direct connection you get with a clutch and shifter. But, it has to happen, I need the awd and the rear camera--I've backed into two trees and gotten stuck on snowy roads too many times. One of those times I combined the problems backing into a tree and then being stuck.(rolleyes) And I do appreciate the nicer accommodations of the 2016 Touring.

Last edited:
In other parts of the world, the CX5 is rated to tow 4400 lbs braked. But I can understand how they would want to cover their ass by listing trailer brakes as required equipment when towing over 1000 lbs in the US because I see how people drive here everyday. I tow 2000 lbs often and far (trailer and cargo) and 3000 lbs rarely (like a pallet of concrete from Lowes 10 miles or so) and have never felt uncomfortable, but I keep the speed and distances reasonable. But after reading your post I may look into adding some brakes and see how I like it. The trailer is only 475 lbs and so it has always seemed ridiculous to add brakes. Honestly, when I'm towing 1500 lbs or less, it's easy to forget it's back there.

Attachments

• IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    534 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I realize you are being proactive in regards to safety, but I just looked up the requirements for your state (Wisconsin) just to see.

WISCONSIN
Any trailer, semitrailer, or other towed vehicle with a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes adequate to stop the vehicle.

Texas is a little more liberal (at least in the area of trailer brakes):

TEXAS
A trailer or pole trailer is required to have brakes if its gross weight exceeds 4,500 lbs. A trailer with a gross weight between 4,500 lbs. and 15,000 lbs. is not required to have brakes if it is towed at a speed of not more than 30 mph.

But a lot of states require brakes if the total trailer weight exceeds 40% of the gross vehicle weight of the tow vehicle, which would be about 2000 lbs for the CX5.

Back