2019 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD auto headlight question

ArunGupta

I leased a 2019 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD about a month ago. I always keep the headlights on Auto. I am seeing that the headlights do not turn on even when it is cloudy and raining. They turn on only when it is totally dark, like at 9:00 PM. I have tried adjusting the Auto-light control under Lighting to Low and High settings, but no effect. When I had leased the car initially, the auto mode used to work fine and the headlights used to turn on even when it was dawn/dusk or the car was under an overpass. So, something has gone wrong in the last couple of weeks. Anyone else having same issue?

Also, I cannot understand the Auto-light control setting definition. In the manual, on page 9-14, it is defined as "Timing by which lights turn on". So, does this mean that if I keep it on Low setting, the headlights will turn on quicker or is it the other way round? I want the headlights to stay on as much as possible. State law requires that headlights must be on when wipers are on. Just DRLs are not acceptable because they want taillights to be also on.

Many thanks,
Arun

Check to see if the windshield is dirty around the area of the front facing camera. I've kept mine on Medium High (I think default setting) and it works just as you say during dawn/dusk/overpass.

The headlights turning on automatically whenever the wipers are activated is something I wished Mazda implemented.

Otherwise, if you really want to be sure that the headlights are on, just put them on the ON setting all the time. They will still shut off when you turn the car off so no risks of dead battery.

Thanks for the reply. The windshield is clean where the sensor is located. As per manual, the light sensor also works as rain sensor and auto wiper function works fine. The default setting as per manual is Medium, so something is definitely not right.

I like your idea of leaving them in ON position all the time. But I would still like to have the auto function checked by the dealer. Maybe I will have it checked with the first oil change.

Definitely have it checked by the dealer. I think they can attempt a recalibration if they need to.

I played with that setting and as I understand it, HIGH means the lights will turn on quicker, LOW lowers the sensitivity (lights take longer to activate). The lights really should be tied to the wipers, but I guess there are so few jurisdictions with that requirement, it wasn't worth the programming effort.

I leased a 2019 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD about a month ago. I always keep the headlights on Auto. I am seeing that the headlights do not turn on even when it is cloudy and raining. They turn on only when it is totally dark, like at 9:00 PM. I have tried adjusting the Auto-light control under Lighting to Low and High settings, but no effect. When I had leased the car initially, the auto mode used to work fine and the headlights used to turn on even when it was dawn/dusk or the car was under an overpass. So, something has gone wrong in the last couple of weeks. Anyone else having same issue?

Also, I cannot understand the Auto-light control setting definition. In the manual, on page 9-14, it is defined as "Timing by which lights turn on". So, does this mean that if I keep it on Low setting, the headlights will turn on quicker or is it the other way round? I want the headlights to stay on as much as possible. State law requires that headlights must be on when wipers are on. Just DRLs are not acceptable because they want taillights to be also on.

Many thanks,
Arun

AUTO doesn't mean set it and forget it. Not many cars with Auto lights have the lights come on just when it's cloudy. I see the same thing in dense fog. You need to turn them to ON manually.

Some car makers have the lights come on if the wipers are on for a minute or more; personally, I think this should be mandatory.

Srad600: Thanks for testing. The reason I keep it on auto is because in PA, headlights must be on when wipers are on. By headlights, they mean headlights and taillights. I don't expect car manufacturers to incorporate this into programming as it varies by state.

My previous lease was Volvo XC-90 where auto headlight mode worked perfectly. In Mazda, I am having this issue which started recently. I don't want to go to the dealer, because I had a very poor customer service experience when leasing which soured the entire new car happiness. I just don't trust them even with an oil change.

So far, the idea suggested by azuzu is working fine. I always leave the headlights ON. They turn OFF automatically and I am guaranteed that they will be fully ON no matter what the ambient light level is.

"AUTO doesn't mean set it and forget it."

That's old school thinking. Tech features in cars are getting better and better. Auto does mean set it and forget it.

Srad600: Thanks for testing. The reason I keep it on auto is because in PA, headlights must be on when wipers are on. By headlights, they mean headlights and taillights. I don't expect car manufacturers to incorporate this into programming as it varies by state.

My previous lease was Volvo XC-90 where auto headlight mode worked perfectly. In Mazda, I am having this issue which started recently. I don't want to go to the dealer, because I had a very poor customer service experience when leasing which soured the entire new car happiness. I just don't trust them even with an oil change.

So far, the idea suggested by azuzu is working fine. I always leave the headlights ON. They turn OFF automatically and I am guaranteed that they will be fully ON no matter what the ambient light level is.

I have lived in PA for many years, and while you*re correct about the law, I suspect that few PA residents even know about it and I have never once in decades heard of anyone being cited for violating it. Contrast that with some other states (Florida comes to mind) in which I*ve seen posted signs warning of a similar law, which to me means that they are looking for violators.

PA also mandates lights on in work zones (again, taillights also, not just DRLs), but I have seen that one posted on signs. I*ve never heard of anyone being stopped for this violation alone (it may be a secondary violation) but I suspect that there are enough work zone speeders to keep law enforcement busy with bigger violations.

I am skeptical of the claim that lights-on always means better visibility. However, I*ve driven during rain and snow*even at dusk*when other drivers haven*t had lights on, and they don*t have to be far away before they become difficult to see. How someone could look at a dark gauge cluster and not think to turn on their lights (or drive without looking at the cluster at least occasionally) is difficult to understand. For me, if lights-on might help someone else to see me better and avoid an accident, I always err on the side of caution. I don*t generally run lights-on during good weather daytime, simply because doing so dims my radio/clock display, making it difficult to read; not sure if the same is true with the CX-9.

If your auto function isn*t working properly, I*d find a dealer somewhere and ask them to take a look. I guess if it*s a lease it won*t matter long term, but if I had purchased the car I*d want it to be made right on Mazda*s dime.

NocarFan: You are very correct about PA residents not knowing about the law. Not 4 days ago, I had sent the snippet from the PA driver's manual to a friend. He had told me that there was no such law in PA. He was wrong.

You are again correct about the police. They do not look for headlight violators. Once I witnessed a mini-van drive past a police car looking for speeders. It was daytime, but raining and one of van's headlight was busted. The cop did not pull that driver over.

As for work zones, PA is getting stricter as there have been many news articles about increasing number of worker deaths in construction zones. It is sad to hear about a person doing their job being killed by a speeding motorist.

You nailed it right there: "I always err on the side of caution". It is very traumatic to be involved in an accident, particularly when someone get badly injured. Nothing is worth the loss of a life.

"...doing so dims my radio/clock display, making it difficult to read; not sure if the same is true with the CX-9." Yes, it is true, but there is an easy override.

"AUTO doesn't mean set it and forget it."

That's old school thinking. Tech features in cars are getting better and better. Auto does mean set it and forget it.

It's not "thinking"--it's reality. People think their headlights are all knowing--they aren't. Look around you next time it's pouring rain, driving snow, or dense fog.

For the next week, drive around at or slightly after sunset, and observe how many people are so clueless, that they are driving around without their headlights on.

We all need to do our part to be safe on the roadways these days--and sometimes that means using your noggin, and looking to make sure your headlights are on instead of "assuming" AUTO will take care of it for you.

(argh)

/ENDRANT

Last edited:
"For the next week, drive around at or slightly after sunset, and observe how many people are so clueless, that they are driving around without their headlights on."

Sorry, I misread what you really meant. Yes, what you say is correct. Seen these clueless people so many times. That is why I always try to be alert when driving. This is how I figured out that the headlights were not on, even when I could not see them. But yes, there is no substitute for being careful and doing my bit in keeping everyone safe.

"For the next week, drive around at or slightly after sunset, and observe how many people are so clueless, that they are driving around without their headlights on."

Sorry, I misread what you really meant. Yes, what you say is correct. Seen these clueless people so many times. That is why I always try to be alert when driving. This is how I figured out that the headlights were not on, even when I could not see them. But yes, there is no substitute for being careful and doing my bit in keeping everyone safe.

Thanks. Try "Reply With Quote" as a time saver.

And welcome to Mazdas247

Back