Question on "Utility"

Hello All,
I am new to the forum though I've been lurking around for a while. I am in the market for a new vehicle and am between the new Rav4 and a CX-5. I currently own a Mazda3(2007) and have had a lot of fun as well as many frustrating trips to auto part stores and mechanics. My 3 has been a good car as far as drive train goes but motor mounts and coolant seals have failed on numerous occasions. Most recently my transmission mount bolt broke causing the engine to nearly hit the ground. All in all its served me well and it still puts a smile on my face when I mas the throttle and the gear grabs just right. That said, I hunt, camp and fish a few times a year, about 3-4 times a year for each activity. My wife and I also enjoy road trips which we do a few times a year as well. I live in Southern California so 90% of my life is stuck on the 405 fwy at 5mph.

My question for you CX-5 owners is, can the CX-5 be used for "off the beaten path" adventures? I have taken my 3 on some very sketchy roads but always wish I could venture deeper in, I mostly am limited by ground clearance. I believe the CX-5 is at 7.5 inches which is not bad. I would mainly be looking to take kept and some unkempt dirt roads and the occasional sandy desert road. I know the Rav4 has more ground clearance but the adventure model just looks more "off road" without any real advantages over the other models. I am not looking for a rock crawler or a jeep alternative just simply enough car to get me to and from my camp, hunt or fishing site without any issues. I would be purchasing a Grand Touring Reserve model for the awd and turbo engine. I have driven both and the CX-5 without a doubt is the best to drive. Thanks in advance sorry for the long post.

Everything I've seen on youtube reviews leads me to believe the AWD system is more than capable of mud and snow. I would think the extra power and torque would be way better on trails than the Rav4. Honestly I feel the Rav4 is a bit of poser with its off road capable look. Since most of my time is on road I think I would rather be in the Mazda. Do the CX-5's have engine mount issues? that may be a deal breaker. Thanks.

Everything I've seen on youtube reviews leads me to believe the AWD system is more than capable of mud and snow. I would think the extra power and torque would be way better on trails than the Rav4. Honestly I feel the Rav4 is a bit of poser with its off road capable look. Since most of my time is on road I think I would rather be in the Mazda. Do the CX-5's have engine mount issues? that may be a deal breaker. Thanks.

I think there was mention of a different type of engine mount being used that was gel-filled or something. Those in colder climates reported the gel freezing and resulting in engine vibration. The only thing is that I don't remember which years had this issue, and I'm not sure if it's been resolved in the new models.

Changing my engine mounts practically every three oil changes in my Mazda3 was a pain in the ass!! Really hope I won't have to deal with that if I go with the CX-5. I'm in California so cold here is about 65F

Go check out the new Mazda 3 AWD. It seems its head and shoulders above current awd systems from Mazda. If you really want it I would wait for it to come in new cx30

Hello All,
I am new to the forum though I've been lurking around for a while. I am in the market for a new vehicle and am between the new Rav4 and a CX-5. I currently own a Mazda3(2007) and have had a lot of fun as well as many frustrating trips to auto part stores and mechanics. My 3 has been a good car as far as drive train goes but motor mounts and coolant seals have failed on numerous occasions. Most recently my transmission mount bolt broke causing the engine to nearly hit the ground. All in all its served me well and it still puts a smile on my face when I mas the throttle and the gear grabs just right. That said, I hunt, camp and fish a few times a year, about 3-4 times a year for each activity. My wife and I also enjoy road trips which we do a few times a year as well. I live in Southern California so 90% of my life is stuck on the 405 fwy at 5mph.

My question for you CX-5 owners is, can the CX-5 be used for "off the beaten path" adventures? I have taken my 3 on some very sketchy roads but always wish I could venture deeper in, I mostly am limited by ground clearance. I believe the CX-5 is at 7.5 inches which is not bad. I would mainly be looking to take kept and some unkempt dirt roads and the occasional sandy desert road. I know the Rav4 has more ground clearance but the adventure model just looks more "off road" without any real advantages over the other models. I am not looking for a rock crawler or a jeep alternative just simply enough car to get me to and from my camp, hunt or fishing site without any issues. I would be purchasing a Grand Touring Reserve model for the awd and turbo engine. I have driven both and the CX-5 without a doubt is the best to drive. Thanks in advance sorry for the long post.

I have a GT-R, and while capable off road, you're going to be limited by tires, and approach/departure angles.

I may have go bad info off a website somewhere but I read both CX-5 and Rav4 have similar angles 19.30 and 22.70 for the Mazda and 19 and 21 for the Rav4. Again that could be bad info, I would imagine the chin on the CX-5 would limit it quite a bit.

I may have go bad info off a website somewhere but I read both CX-5 and Rav4 have similar angles 19.30 and 22.70 for the Mazda and 19 and 21 for the Rav4. Again that could be bad info, I would imagine the chin on the CX-5 would limit it quite a bit.

Well, if that's the facts, that's the facts. Unless like you say it's wrong, data is data. My CX5 does fine on loose gravel, etc.

Yes, again its not rock crawling but it will entail miles of dirt roads that can have rocks, mud and other obstacles. My mazda3 had much lower profile tires and with careful driving and a bit of luck I never had a blow out or severe damage.

My opinion is, the CX-5 can do some light off roading but it is really designed to be an all weather luxury suv. The nose is shaped for ground air affects and would get scrapped up doing moderate off roading. You really need more of a truck to go off roading.

Yes, again its not rock crawling but it will entail miles of dirt roads that can have rocks, mud and other obstacles. My mazda3 had much lower profile tires and with careful driving and a bit of luck I never had a blow out or severe damage.
Well if the Mazda 3 can do it I'm pretty sure both the Rav and CX5 would be fine, just don't get carried away too much by the added confidence.

Back to your question, if I like off roading I'd go with Rav4 adventure, it does have a different AWD system with real torque vectoring, center lock and additional cooling, the AWD system on the CX5 is the same as the larger CX9 and there are reports of overheating, watch savagegees new Mazda 3 video, the cx9 overheated in snow... Plus the look of the Toyota fits the nature better to my eyes, the Mazda is just too elegant and pretty. Lol

Last edited:
Back