Totaled Our CX-5

sulaco

My wife was in a bad accident a couple of weeks ago and totaled our 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD. A guy pulled out in front of her in a 45 zone and she t-boned him. She said she had time to think about hitting the brakes and then blacked out. When she came to she said the cabin was full of airbag smoke/powder so she rolled the windows down.

Later the SC Highway Patrolman asked her if he could drive it over to the shoulder of a side road, so I assume it worked okay for that. The guy that drove it on to the flatbed said it drove and steered fine.

In this picture is looks like there may be some front suspension damage but I didn't see any looking closer. It appears almost all of the (visible anyway) damage was to the front clip. The radiator was fine even though the radiator support bracket on the driver's side was mangled, as was the sub-frame/engine support beam on that side. There were no fluid leaks either.

The passenger fender pushed into the gap between it and the passenger door so the impact was enough to tweak the entire sub-frame assembly I guess.

The guys at the shop told me that the driver's airbag was replaced by replacing the entire steering column.

Also, the plastics covering the seat belt on the lower b-pillar pulled lose from impact and I guess the belt pulling against them.

So all told, I guess the combined damages totaled it out. The wrote me a check for almost $21k though, for just the car.

Someone is going to get an incredibly well maintained car at auction. Sure hope they can do something with it. We certainly had no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.

It's amazing how safe the CX-5 kept my wife given how violent the impact was. She spun the other car around 180 degrees when she hit him.

She said she won't drive anything else now and we replaced it with an identical (plus Preferred Package) 2019 CX-5 a week later (it's her daily driver)

Stay safe out there!

efmh5v.jpg

Attachments

• 20190401_125547469_iOS.jpg
    20190401_125547469_iOS.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 326
Glad she's OK!!
Bet she likes the new one even better!
Guess the old one didn't have SBS?

No it didn't have SBS but I doubt that would have helped much. Witness next to her said the guy just appeared. It was pretty much instantaneous. The new one has SBS and Advanced whatever, so maybe it will help if it happens again. I don't want to find out though.

She does like the new one but she prefers the seats of the old one, the MazdaConnect location of the old one and she says the old one feels more responsive and a little less "plush". But that's nitpicking really.

I am glad she's okay too!

Glad the CX-5 protected your wife.

Almost identical thing happened to me a few years back in my Acura Integra. Women pulled directly out in front of me, I was doing somewhere around 35-40mph. I t-boned her and pushed her into a drainage ditch. She was driving one of those big Ram pickup trucks. She told the cop she didn't even see me.

There's nothing like two airbags firing inside a closed cabin. Sounds like somebody fired dual 12 gauge shotguns next to my head.
Anyway the other driver and I walked away with minor scraps. About 12k damage to my Acura. They fixed it and I drove it for a couple years afterward. It drove fine.

Thanks. I am glad she is okay too. It was a scary wreck. And I can confirm after inspecting the CX-5, it really did well and what it was designed to do, keep the occupant(s) safe.

"The wrote me a check for almost $21k though, for just the car. "

How many miles? That is a pretty darn good value.

++ Also good to know everyone is safe.

Wow glad your wife is okay. It looks like the car crumpled like it was supposed to. I'm a little surprised they totaled it, there must be some pretty bad damage to the k frame and/or the front rails. I worked in auto body for eight years and we pulled stuff that looked much worse than that.

I too am glad to hear that your wife is ok and that the safety systems on the CX worked.

"She said she had time to think about hitting the brakes and then blacked out. When she came to she said the cabin was full of airbag smoke/powder so she rolled the windows down."

Did she tell the cops that she 'blacked out'? If so, what was their response? Your wife should make an appointment with her doctor and get to the bottom of this.

"The wrote me a check for almost $21k though, for just the car. "

How many miles? That is a pretty darn good value.

++ Also good to know everyone is safe.

Yea, that*s basically the trade-in value of my Loaded GT same year. I*d let mine slide for close to that, just don*t want to get in a wreck to do it, lol, although maybe that Reserve or Siggie is worth it...Haha, I kid...

Once again, glad everyone is safe...

It had 21,000 miles on it. She only drives a short distance to work and back each day and then we take it on trips every so often. I felt good about the payout. The insurance adjuster said it's the cleanest used vehicle he's ever seen. I am very particular about our vehicles. I don't let anyone else work on them, do all my own maintenance and repairs, and I basically detail them every time I wash them which is about every two weeks. Plus they are parked in a garage at home and at work so they don't really see any elements unless we are driving them.

Yes, glad to know it worked as designed and crumpled properly. Nothing entered the passenger compartment.

As to damage, I dunno, there may have been more than I could see. The guys at the shop we had it towed to said they felt like it could have been fixed, but then that was just glancing at the outside. They didn't pop the hood or get in it, etc.

These new vehicles, once the airbags deploy, unless they are luxury cars, from what I hear they are almost always totaled out. But I don't do body work and don't work in insurance, so it's just hearsay really.

I can't really say much about the medical aspect of this since it's still ongoing, but she's being well taken care of and didn't suffer any major issues, just soft tissue mostly and a possible concussion.

Glad your other half is uninjured and sorry to hear that the car was considered totaled. Good to see that the car protected her in the manner it should!

I'm always amazed at cars that are totaled and then get resurrected with salvage titles (I call them "Zombie Cars"). I wrecked my 2001 Miata in a head-on collision with a van (don't ask, but I walked away with only an small airbag burn) back in NJ, and it was totaled by my insurance company. About 8 months later, I got a card from a MA Mazda dealer with coupons for follow up service with that car's VIN #, and eventually figured out it had been rebuilt and sold under a salvage title up in MA. The dealer there must have just picked up via the Mazda system info for the car which apparently still had my name/address connected to it.

Yeah I am pretty sure ours will be auctioned with a salvage title and rebuilt and back out on the road. It's too nice not to. I am glad though. Especially if it can be fixed back to driving condition. Funny thing, the insurance company had it towed from the shop I had it at to "their own shop", which actually turned out to be a monster auction yard. I am not positive, but I think the auction company actually inspected it and claimed it totaled. Makes me wonder...

Yeah I am pretty sure ours will be auctioned with a salvage title and rebuilt and back out on the road. It's too nice not to. I am glad though. Especially if it can be fixed back to driving condition. Funny thing, the insurance company had it towed from the shop I had it at to "their own shop", which actually turned out to be a monster auction yard. I am not positive, but I think the auction company actually inspected it and claimed it totaled. Makes me wonder...

Upstate or Lowcountry?

Fascinating the possibilities there, huh? :p But in the long run, a replacement vehicle, new or otherwise, that hasn't been involved in a relatively major accident is usually the best solution. Vehicles can be fixed, but sometimes there is residual or missed damage, or delayed issues that make owning one a miserable experience. Glad you didn't have any need to fight with your insurance company.

Back