Vent Visors Question

sulaco

I had a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring and installed the OEM vent visors on the front an rear windows. They looked and worked great, but we noticed a substantial increase in wind noise on the road at speed. I have some AVS brand I think, on my Tacoma and they are the type that go in the window channel. They don't seem to make any more noise than without them.

I know part of this was the issue with noise in the 1st gen CX-5s, which I guess they remedied somewhat with the increase in sound deadening/insulation, and using laminated side glass.

However, before I buy new ones for our 2019, I wanted to see what people thought about them first. Is OEM still the way to go, or do you guys recommend another brand/style?

Thanks for the info!

I was also thinking Oem - which I dont like that they have to 'stick' to the outside panels although I agree they look nice on the car
vs Weathertech ones - which are classic design inside the window channel and can be removed easily if needed.
So those two options I would say.
May be check weathertech and compare.

also do note that the 2019 front side windows are dual layer sandwich so isolate sound better too. May be that also would help even if there is some noise added from the visors.

also do note that the 2019 front side windows are dual layer sandwich so isolate sound better too.

As is the 2018 glass. Perhaps the 2017 has the same as well but I am not sure of the latter.

I know that my 2018 is so quiet at highway speeds that even the tiniest of change is very noticeable.

2017 also has dual pane front windows, I have the OEM and for the most part there's not much additional wind noise unless there's heavy crosswind.

I have the OEM wind deflectors on my '19 and i can't even hear the wind with the windows closed.
also looks really nice as it's very flush to the window,
Just have to make sure it's installed correctly, the front parts have a little tab that inserts into the front window sail garnish (the triangular piece by the front window area).
Definitely getting this in all my future SUV's going forward.

I had the OEM visors on our 16.5 and they were fine but definitely noisy. But I think I prefer the look of the Weathertech in-channel style. I have those on my Tacoma and I like that they are only over the glass, not the door trip over the a and b pillars too. Just looks cleaner to my eye. I ordered a set yesterday so I will update with more info if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

So I got the WeatherTech in channel vent visors and attempted to install the driver's side and it broke. Specifically, two pieces of plastic snapped off of the inside the channel portions, one in front and one in back when I attempted to roll up the window. I did it exactly like they recommended in their install instructions and videos, and I have installed similar ones before without issue, so it seems this is a design issue more than anything.

They also came scratched up and I wasn't able to clean the scratches off and they would have been visible once installed, so I am kind of glad I sent them back.

Now I have two small pieces of plastic somewhere down inside my door panel/window channel. Hopefully they don't cause any issues.

I sent them back and ordered the OEM visors.

As an aside, I also have WeatherTech floor mats in my Tacoma and I don't like them at all. They don't have high enough sides to keep dirt from getting under them and into the carpet, they don't have deep grooves to trap dirt so it doesn't get all over my shoes, and they are super sticky on the bottom and leave some sort of residue on my carpet. They came in the truck when I bought it (used).

I also don't like all the insane advertising WeatherTech does, and they've been bought out recently too which I don't know if that matters or not.

I don't recommend WeatherTech.

So I got the WeatherTech in channel vent visors and attempted to install the driver's side and it broke. Specifically, two pieces of plastic snapped off of the inside the channel portions, one in front and one in back when I attempted to roll up the window. I did it exactly like they recommended in their install instructions and videos, and I have installed similar ones before without issue, so it seems this is a design issue more than anything.

They also came scratched up and I wasn't able to clean the scratches off and they would have been visible once installed, so I am kind of glad I sent them back.

Now I have two small pieces of plastic somewhere down inside my door panel/window channel. Hopefully they don't cause any issues.

I sent them back and ordered the OEM visors.

As an aside, I also have WeatherTech floor mats in my Tacoma and I don't like them at all. They don't have high enough sides to keep dirt from getting under them and into the carpet, they don't have deep grooves to trap dirt so it doesn't get all over my shoes, and they are super sticky on the bottom and leave some sort of residue on my carpet. They came in the truck when I bought it (used).

I also don't like all the insane advertising WeatherTech does, and they've been bought out recently too which I don't know if that matters or not.

I don't recommend WeatherTech.

you won't be disappointed with the OEM's
they look a lot better than the weathertech's in my opinion.

I installed Weathertech floor mats in my 2019 GT-R and wish I had selected a different product.

-They don't completely cover the driver's left foot rest, leaving carpet exposed
-There is no protection around the base of the accelerator, and crap accumulates on the carpet
-I don't have asphalt or a lot of gravel on my driveway, and in a few short weeks the driver's mat is stained a light tan from ground-in dirt and I cannot get it clean

I guess at some point I could replace the driver's mat. No one would notice a brand mis-match.

I thought I was buying the best. I guess they got great advertising.

Back