2016~2023 Heating system lights on the buttons

:
Mazda CX9 Signature 2016
I just picked up a 2019 CX 9. I did a lot of research before buying it and trading a 2016 CX 9. Don't ask why. Well one thing really seems like a design error. On the heater controls at night, when you turn it on, the display lights up as do all the surrounding buttons. Yet in daylight, when you turn the heat on, only the display lights up, not the surrounding buttons. I cannot see the button labels when driving. They are low and recessed on the dash. I wish the buttons would light up like the display day or night. Is anyone else as disturbed about this as I am? Has anyone found a way to turn the button lights on?

Last edited:
I think I get what you are talking about... for me personally, this was the first new vehicle for us in about 12 years, so there was obviously not a lot of baggage from "what I'm used to" from my other car. I just needed to "learn the new car".

After learning the button positions, I found I was most frustrated with the "AC" control; once I learned to look into the LED array to determine whether the AC was showing or not, the controls began to become a little more intuitive. Now when I push various buttons, I look at the control light LED array instead of the buttons to determine what I'm turning off or on. Although a little frustrating at first, it wasn't difficult to get used to.

While I "get" your frustration, I think you will likely become more familiar operating the controls, and less in the "dark" about the buttons. The heating/AC controls are conveniently positioned, although not individually lit.

Back