What new Mazda reveal at 2019 NY autoshow?

I wish they would make a truck. If they made trucks with the same driving dynamics as their cars I'd be first in line to trade my TRD-Offroad 4WD Tacoma in and I'd never look back.

I wish they would make a truck. If they made trucks with the same driving dynamics as their cars I'd be first in line to trade my TRD-Offroad 4WD Tacoma in and I'd never look back.
They do make a truck, but it's not in the American market.

What's it called?...BT-50 or something like that?

I thought they said the 6 sedan cannot be equipped with awd unlike the wagon? Bunch of liers, realmad.
I dunno, that's what the guy on stage said. He specifically said that diesel engine option will be coming to an AWD Mazda6.

Maybe they accidentally leaked that the next gen Mazda6 is coming next year. The Mazda6 is actually next in line for the new Mazda3 platform.
Correct, the Mazda6 if I'm not mistaken, has been refreshed along the years, but is not all new. It is still riding on the same platform or similar platform to the previous models. The 2018 Mazda6 is still a Gen3 Mazda6 model. So they could possibly already have a Gen4 Mazda6 ready to release in a year or two, which will have AWD and be compatible with every engine in their lineup.

I dunno, that's what the guy on stage said. He specifically said that diesel engine option will be coming to an AWD Mazda6.

Correct, the Mazda6 if I'm not mistaken, has been refreshed along the years, but is not all new. It is still riding on the same platform or similar platform to the previous models. The 2018 Mazda6 is still a Gen3 Mazda6 model. So they could possibly already have a Gen4 Mazda6 ready to release in a year or two, which will have AWD and be compatible with every engine in their lineup.

After the Mazda3 the CX-30 should be coming late this year followed by the Mazda6 in 2020. The next gen CX-5 would come in 2021 with the new Alabama plant coming online. That would give at least 2 years for the CX-5 diesel before the next gen CX-5.

Sounds like Mazda is emphasizing performance and driving dynamics rather than fuel economy. In what ways will it be better than the 2.5T which is less expensive?

It's only (very) modestly more fuel efficient than the 2.5 NA, at least on paper.

Curious. People here seem to resent the introduction of the promised diesel. I wonder why.

Because its hilariously unmarketable for these reasons:

1. Too late. The VW scandal means theres a lot more consumer skepticism about diesel in the US, which never really loved diesels in non-trucks to begin with.

2. Lame fuel economy. This thing needed wow-factor fuel economy. It failed.

3. Lame torque. If fuel economy isnt the draw, this must have mad torque right? Nope, specs appear worse than the turbo.

4. High price. A $4000 premium over the turbo for no discernible benefit? Is this a joke? Is Mazda delusional enough to think diesel is a premium status symbol?

Who is ready to roll some coal? These already beat 2.5t numbers with just a tune alone.

Well there you are. Just keep an open mind and see what you think.

I'm trying to keep an open mind. Presumably Mazda knows something we don't. They seem to think that we'll view this as premium and a better experience than the 2.5T, by a big margin. I've never driven the 2.5T. I look forward to driving it and the diesel.

Something doesn't add up. I hope to be wowed. I hope that this thing really gets 40mpg on the freeway. I'm averaging about 24 or 25 mpg in my 2.5 NA 2018, I'd expected the diesel to average at least 30MPG. Hopefully it does, in spite of what the EPA numbers say.

But the drive and the experience will have to be much nicer than the turbo for it to make any sense. Obviously fuel economy can't explain the price premium.

I do see that the diesel includes 2 yr / 30K free maintenance. Presumably that is to mitigate misgivings about DEF and whatnot. To me that's worth about $200 or so.

I'm trying to keep an open mind. Presumably Mazda knows something we don't. They seem to think that we'll view this as premium and a better experience than the 2.5T, by a big margin. I've never driven the 2.5T. I look forward to driving it and the diesel.

Something doesn't add up. I hope to be wowed. I hope that this thing really gets 40mpg on the freeway. I'm averaging about 24 or 25 mpg in my 2.5 NA 2018, I'd expected the diesel to average at least 30MPG. Hopefully it does, in spite of what the EPA numbers say.

But the drive and the experience will have to be much nicer than the turbo for it to make any sense. Obviously fuel economy can't explain the price premium.

I do see that the diesel includes 2 yr / 30K free maintenance. Presumably that is to mitigate misgivings about DEF and whatnot. To me that's worth about $200 or so.

Hallelujah. Somebody with a measured opinion. I can tell you that at a steady 70mph, it will easily return 40 mpg on your US gallon - maybe more. Let me reiterate, that given the side by side choice of a 2.2 diesel or 2.5T petrol, I would take the latter but that is mainly because of the attitude towards diesel in Europe - they are banning higher emissions in some cities although this Skyactive is exempt by a good margin and is cleaner than the petrol.

However, there are a lot of plusses for a company car user with high miles and heavy load user. It will cruise at highway speeds at low revs without a glimmer of changing down for inclines. It will give good fuel economy and it will pull like a train with a heavy load and that is something that needs to be experienced, you*ll see it when the reviews start to come out. It will also avoid this carbon fouling that the G engine can suffer with as long it is maintained well.

Where it will prove troublesome is for somebody that does short, light duty trips because it will never get to a temperature that burns all the rubbish out of the exhaust filter (DPF - diesel particulate filter). Under these conditions, the car will generate the conditions by conducting a *regeneration phase* and it does it by injection fuel in the *post injection* period on the exhaust stroke. Its a bit like an afterburner on a F16 and literally, you can smell the heat from the metal exhaust being pushed up to phenomenal temperature. And just like an F16 has only minutes to fly with the burners lit, the fuel consumption drops through the floor during a regen, pulling the average down with it. Owners just starting the engine to move the car out of the garage, especially on cooler days will regularly see the message *high engine speed due to injector cleaning*. This is because condensation can form inside the injectors during cold running so it will flush out the injectors, again with a cost. In other words, it makes lots od sense to a high mileage heavy load driver who will really derive pleasure from its relaxed driving style but although it will take steps to look after itself on light duty short trip driving, it won*t be something many that have never had a diesel will settle with. It needs your dealers to understand this and see what potential buyers are going to use it for before taking the money because there is a good chance they will get nothing but grief from the owner.

Cool, so throw the warranty out on an engine that has constantly plagued mazda for reliability? Show us this 80hp tune?

Stop now Unob. The older engines had problems but the new one has been modified and doesn*t. Its every bit as reliable as yours which incidentally has very little experience of high mileage under the high pressure of a turbo. You don*t know if you*ve got any skeletons in the cupboard just yet so i wouldn*t gloat for a while if i were you.

Stop now Unob. The older engines had problems but the new one has been modified and doesn*t. Its every bit as reliable as yours which incidentally has very little experience of high mileage under the high pressure of a turbo. You don*t know if you*ve got any skeletons in the cupboard just yet so i wouldn*t gloat for a while if i were you.

The 2.5T has 3+ years of use with no issues.
The diesel has been revised...how many times, now, is it? but this one is "the fixed version for sure"?

Get back at me when 3+ years of zero-issues have been experienced with the diesel like it has the 2.5T.

The surveys Mazda did in the 6 months were very much about the opinion of diesel and how it was associated with "premium" brands. They specifically asked if diesel was desired for overall driving performance or absolute MPG. That was a loaded question and even I would have put overall driving performance even though I am interested in absolute MPG.

I bet the 2-year warranty is for dealers. My dealers was really worried about diesel and how their customers would deal with "diesel" issues. His feeling was that a sophisticated Audi customer will handle these issues better than a "less sophisticated" Mazda customer. And yes, he was implying what it looks like he was implying.

Yep, the BIG REVEAL was not appealing to me. Just my preference in things. Although diesel at the pumps is a bit better to access in my area than it was back when I bought my CX-5 in 2013. Now most of the brand new Quiktrip and Racetrac stores have a diesel pump or two.

1. Petrol
2. Full Electric
3. Performance Hybrid
10. Diesel

Offering an extremely weak maintenance offering when the first and last time I used my dealer for a simple oil change took well over 2 hours to accomplish.....yeah right.

Yep, the BIG REVEAL was not appealing to me. Just my preference in things. Although diesel at the pumps is a bit better to access in my area than it was back when I bought my CX-5 in 2013. Now most of the brand new Quiktrip and Racetrac stores have a diesel pump or two.

1. Petrol
2. Full Electric
3. Performance Hybrid
10. Diesel

Offering an extremely weak maintenance offering when the first and last time I used my dealer for a simple oil change took well over 2 hours to accomplish.....yeah right.

Changing the oil on a diesel takes exactly the same time as a petrol. The only difference is the position of the oil filter but there is a big access panel.

Changing the oil on a diesel takes exactly the same time as a petrol. The only difference is the position of the oil filter but there is a big access panel.

Tell that to the dealer.

It takes me less than 30 minutes to change the oil on either of my cars.
The point I was making is that any maintenance offering from Mazda or my dealership is not worth it to me because the dealer takes 10 times the amount of time to do anything and I am not willing to sit and wait that long. I have better things to do than sit and look at a wall for 2+ hours. The maintenance offering is a non-incentive as far as I am concerned.

Back