What new Mazda reveal at 2019 NY autoshow?

That was posted in 2018 when 2018 was the current MY, so that's not a brand new EPA rating. But something is definitely amiss with those MPG numbers.

Last edited:
Personally I wish Mazda would focus their efforts on further refining what IS working (the 2.5t, for example. The cx-5 gets better and better with each model, no?). The way they're listening to customer response and improving the cx-5 again and again so exciting. Is there even any demand for a diesel csuv in the U.S.?

Personally I wish Mazda would focus their efforts on further refining what IS working (the 2.5t, for example. The cx-5 gets better and better with each model, no?). The way they're listening to customer response and improving the cx-5 again and again so exciting. Is there even any demand for a diesel csuv in the U.S.?

Agreed. This is wasted effort from a company with limited resources. Hope the extra 3k diesel CX-5s they sell a year makes up for the investment.

So, it looks like it is the CX-5 diesel. This was on another forum:

35ndbhk72ns21.png

I read this Motortrend magazine article while in a store recently. The answer might lie in this article consisting of an interview with Mazdas N.A. CEO:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/maz...lks-diesels-evs-and-the-future-of-the-rotary/

Also, Mazdas U.S. vehicle line up lacks pick up trucks, vans, and other large vehicles that commercial buyers want. Maybe the announcement will be to include one of these types of vehicles to sell here?

Two other interesting tidbits from that article was they plan to have every vehicle in the US offer AWD, other than the Miata. Also, since CO2 requirements are not as tough here as Europe, it might be a few years before we see the Skyactiv X engine. He said 2020 or later. I find that a bit alarming if it runs past 2020.

For those that have done the Mazda Insider surveys, did you noticed how they were heavily focused on diesel and its "premium" appeal.

Ive heard from someone that this diesel model is focused on premium and performance.

Mazda has officially stated in at least one article that they have no plans to abandon the ICE.

Unfortunately its looking more and more like electric vehicles will be the future, it's just a matter of time.

I think it is a huge mistake on Mazda's part to delay the incorporation of hybrid and electric vehicles into their development plan. They are already getting penalized in europe because of this. As you have stated, electric vehicles will be the future, it's just a matter of time.

I think it is a huge mistake on Mazda's part to delay the incorporation of hybrid and electric vehicles into their development plan. They are already getting penalized in europe because of this. As you have stated, electric vehicles will be the future, it's just a matter of time.

No kidding. RAV4 Hybrid is faster than CX5 and gets nearly 40mpg combined...slap an 8A behind the same engine and it would probably still manage 36 combined in a CX5.

So the diesel model is coming on July. 170 horsepower, 290 torque.

The bigger news for me in that reveal was that the same engine was coming to an AWD Mazda6 soon. Which means, the Mazda6 will get AWD, which means 2.5T engine + AWD on a Mazda6 is a possibility? That has got me excited.

So the diesel model is coming on July. 170 horsepower, 290 torque.

The bigger news for me in that reveal was that the same engine was coming to an AWD Mazda6 soon. Which means, the Mazda6 will get AWD, which means 2.5T engine + AWD on a Mazda6 is a possibility? That has got me excited.
I thought they said the 6 sedan cannot be equipped with awd unlike the wagon? Bunch of liers, realmad.

Curious. People here seem to resent the introduction of the promised diesel. I wonder why.
I think there is a lot of resentment as I know of at least a few who were ready to buy a CX-5 diesel when it was announced all the way back in 2017 and then it just never came. Many I'm sure moved on and bought other things. Now the turbo also exists in the CX-5, which didn't in 2017, so many still not seeing the value of the diesel anymore for this market. Not to mentioned those supposed EPA numbers further diminishes any value add from an MPG perspective if true. Who knows what all they had to do to the diesel to bring it to this market.

Youve hit the nail on the head. Theyve been delayed with red tape. Ive got one but Id have the 2.5T with choice but they dont offer it. Diesel is a dirty word here.

Back