2016 CX-5 rear brake TSB resolution

The pads first have a gap and then adjust themselves. With new pads the gap is wide until they are used and they slide in to the rotor and the rubber seal on the piston holds the pad near the rotor after that. I think it is normal for the pedal to have more travel for the first few stops and heat cycles, but it should go back to normal soon. Your mussy feel initially may or may not be a bleeding issue.
He didn't get the pads or rotor replaced, just the calipers.

Called Mazda Corporate - he tells me Hiley did not think the TSB was needed but they did it in good faith. And now that they did it in good faith - they are not going to look at issues arising from this. Will talk to a second dealership Freeman and see if they can fix it. Cluster F

I missed this yesterday. So, they replaced a major brake component and now there is a problem, but it is no longer their problem since they did something they felt wasn't necessary to begin with. Definitely go somewhere else, maybe have your own shop take a quick look if there's still doubt in your mind. Some people just don't understand the importance of good brakes and they shouldn't be working on them.

I missed this yesterday. So, they replaced a major brake component and now there is a problem, but it is no longer their problem since they did something they felt wasn't necessary to begin with. Definitely go somewhere else, maybe have your own shop take a quick look if there's still doubt in your mind. Some people just don't understand the importance of good brakes and they shouldn't be working on them.
I will try Hiley again - it just is so tiring. I was told that my car is out of warranty (not true) told that there are no recalls - well I never said there were any. Everytime this has been. I guess this is one reason people buy Lexus et all. If it was a trim piece or something I would let it go. This is safety issue.
Btw - now after dilly dallying I do feel the peddle is softer than normal and would want it looked at. I have a $250 quote to bleed brakes and refill it. I am hoping not to eat that just for the fact that they rushed it.

I will try Hiley again - it just is so tiring. I was told that my car is out of warranty (not true) told that there are no recalls - well I never said there were any. Everytime this has been. I guess this is one reason people buy Lexus et all. If it was a trim piece or something I would let it go. This is safety issue.
Btw - now after dilly dallying I do feel the peddle is softer than normal and would want it looked at. I have a $250 quote to bleed brakes and refill it. I am hoping not to eat that just for the fact that they rushed it.

I'm guessing that it's likely they sent it back to the guy that did the brakes the first time around and he probably said they're fine and they're going off of what he said. It's not a brand issue, this stuff happens everywhere.

I'm guessing that it's likely they sent it back to the guy that did the brakes the first time around and he probably said they're fine and they're going off of what he said. It's not a brand issue, this stuff happens everywhere.

I am taking it back in on Wednesday to see. I don't know if they find it squishy at that point - is it enough to bleed two or they will need to bleed all lines.

OK but the initial gap is there in as the piston and pads are opened up to put them back on the rotor...

I get what you're saying, but after the first couple of brake pedal pumps there should be no gap. O/P has this as an constant ongoing problem for quite a while.

Are people getting this fixed after 12 months or 12k miles? I have a 2016.5 and my VIN falls into the group. Dealership is saying Mazda only covers this 12/12 and to call Mazda.

Are people getting this fixed after 12 months or 12k miles? I have a 2016.5 and my VIN falls into the group. Dealership is saying Mazda only covers this 12/12 and to call Mazda.
This is not true. For 12/12 Mazda covers the Calipers and Pads / Disks if they get bad. The calipers should be covered at 3/36 and even beyond if you are persistent. Some users have had pads / discs replaced even after 12/12. So that dealer straight up lied to your face.

This is not true. For 12/12 Mazda covers the Calipers and Pads / Disks if they get bad. The calipers should be covered at 3/36 and even beyond if you are persistent. Some users have had pads / discs replaced even after 12/12. So that dealer straight up lied to your face.

I'm confused by your comment. They are covered 12/12 but should be 3/36? I've talked with this dealership at least a few times about this so checking to be clear moving forward.

Also, I'm being told that my issue is likely the "spot free rinse" at the automatic car wash that's causing this occasional squeak I'm hearing. I'm just being careful so I don't get stuck wiht a big tab out of warranty. That's pretty bad if that's the case.

Last edited:
I'm confused by your comment. They are covered 12/12 but should be 3/36? I've talked with this dealership at least a few times about this so checking to be clear moving forward.

Also, I'm being told that my issue is likely the "spot free rinse" at the automatic car wash that's causing this occasional squeak I'm hearing. I'm just being careful so I don't get stuck wiht a big tab out of warranty. That's pretty bad if that's the case.
TSB says
Replace the calipers - this is upto 3 / 36 and maybe beyond that.
Next the TSB says - for Pads / Discs Mazda will decide on a case to case basis and dealer can replace if the car is 12 months / 12 000 miles - but we have had members who had older cars 2 year / 20+ K miles for whom their dealer replaced it - really depends on your relationship with dealer.

I drove 32K miles with no significant issues and no burning smell from dragging brakes. So Mazda did not authorize new pads / rotors for me only the Calipers - mind I do see my rear rotors and front rotors look different - I do see the circle marks but it may not be significant - it might mean my brakes last 45K miles instead of 60K and that is something I have to eat.

So - if you get your calipers replaced they should do it as long as 3 year / 36K miles are not done on the car, the pads and disks are a different issue and is case by case. It depends on how good your dealer is. If dealer only replaces your Calipers - atleast you are safe for future if any issue arises. Pads and rotors are consumables and once you get rid of bad ones your car should run fine - but if your calipers start dragging your brakes after warranty - that can mean Pads + Rotors + Calipers + Fluid - more expensive to get all done.

But TSBs should be honored till 3 / 36 your dealer is lying and you can call Mazda corporate.

* But TSBs should be honored till 3 / 36 your dealer is lying and you can call Mazda corporate.
Exactly.

My Mazda dealer did replace rear calipers, rotors and pads during my last warranty service a week before 36 months at about 28K miles. I did have to discuss the TSB with a Master Mechanic after it got rejected by a tech. My rear brake had no obvious dragging issue but the pads did wear unevenly a bit between inner and outer pads.

My theory is if Mazda had to redesign the caliper due to tolerance issue during manufacturing, It indicates the old calipers eventually will have problems. We had seen some even got rear brake locked up while driving on the highway. This's something I definitely want to avoid, by getting revised rear calipers.

Hey yrwei52. What are your thoughts on "I'm being told that my issue is likely the "spot free rinse" at the automatic car wash that's causing this occasional squeak I'm hearing. I'm just being careful so I don't get stuck with a big tab out of warranty. That's pretty bad if that's the case."

My car recently hit 31k. Picked it up 10/31/2016 and lease ends in 01/2020. As you know I'm thinking of buying it.

Yeah I believe the moisture will on pads will cause some squeak but is should be gone once the brake is dried up.

The best way to diagnose this EPB dragging problem is like that Master Mechanic did, checking and comparing the thickness of the inner and outer rear brake pads. If they are uneven, that's the indication of dragging.

That certainly makes sense. They wanted to see the car but then said the coverage was 12/12 and to contact Mazda. Thought it was odd they were referring me off but wanted to make an appointment. Maybe if they look (especially with a master mechanic) they may do something at this dealer then.

Hey yrwei52. What are your thoughts on "I'm being told that my issue is likely the "spot free rinse" at the automatic car wash that's causing this occasional squeak I'm hearing. I'm just being careful so I don't get stuck with a big tab out of warranty. That's pretty bad if that's the case."

My car recently hit 31k. Picked it up 10/31/2016 and lease ends in 01/2020. As you know I'm thinking of buying it.
Yeah I believe the moisture on pads will cause some squeak but is should be gone once the brake is dried up.

The best way to diagnose this EPB dragging problem is like that Master Mechanic did, checking and comparing the thickness of the inner and outer rear brake pads. If they are uneven, that's the indication of dragging.

That certainly makes sense. They wanted to see the car but then said the coverage was 12/12 and to contact Mazda. Thought it was odd they were referring me off but wanted to make an appointment. Maybe if they look (especially with a master mechanic) they may do something at this dealer then.

They're confusing the standard brake warranty with the TSB guidelines. Brakes are only warranted for 12/12 as they are a normal wear and tear item. They need to read the bulletin which throws this condition under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. It would be nice if service people actually read the stuff Mazda puts out. The TSB floating on this site has actual pictures of the conditions under which replacements fall.

I'd love to hear that explanation! How does the water differ from the spot free rinse vs. 'normal' water, in respect to causing the brakes to squeak that is? The water used for the spot free rinse at my local car wash is simply water that has been run through a water softener first. Soft water isn't going to make brakes squeak anymore than non-softened water.

Is there just one TSB on the brakes?
No, there're several for this EPB dragging issue because Mazda didn't figure out what was the root cause in the beginning. Mazda started to replace EPB control module with software fix (just like cylinder deactivation issue with software fix on first try), then eventually have to revise the rear calipers.

TSB 04-005/16: Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Last edited:
No, there're several for this EPB dragging issue because Mazda didn't figure out what was the root cause in the beginning. Mazda started to replacement EPB control module with software fix (just like cylinder deactivation issue with software fix on first try), then eventually have to revise the rear calipers.

TSB 04-005/16: Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

I wasn't aware of this, not to get off topic but do you think the CDA issue will go the same way?

Back