Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 rear brake TSB resolution

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Picked my car and dropped it after 10 minutes. The brakes felt squishy. Really lot of travel and no bite. I went to Hiley in Hurst. I like them and they fixed it on my third visit.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2016 rear brake TSB resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Picked my car and dropped it after 10 minutes. The brakes felt squishy. Really lot of travel and no bite. I went to Hiley in Hurst. I like them and they fixed it on my third visit.
    It seems only Master Mechanic can do the things right. I guess I insisted the Master Mechanic himself to do the caliper job for me was a right thing to do. No problems I can tell after the brake job.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Same exact thing happened to me, the brakes weren't bled correctly after they replaced the rear calipers.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Same exact thing happened to me, the brakes weren't bled correctly after they replaced the rear calipers.
    I am confused - I felt the pedal too soft yesterday and the dealer sent me back saying its ok. Today I am feeling the pedal medium soft-definitely better than yesterday. I am out of warranty in 11 days. I don't know what should I do. Is it normal for the brake feel to get better after bleeding in a day or two? Imo they should be bleeding from all for sides and not just the rear two which I think they have done - but I am not sure.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

The pedal should feel solid from the get-go. If you have to pump the pedal a few times to get a solid feel then there is still air in the lines. Did they bleed the brakes a second time? I'm assuming you're saying that it feels worse now than before the caliper change.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

The pedal should feel solid from the get-go. If you have to pump the pedal a few times to get a solid feel then there is still air in the lines. Did they bleed the brakes a second time? I'm assuming you're saying that it feels worse now than before the caliper change.
    It felt worse immediately after the change. Today it felt a little better I would say. I still have a strong feeling the bleeding was not done correctly.
    I will drive for a day and see - If I measure the moisture and it is a high number - that should give me a hint? shouldn't it?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Not sure what you're saying about moisture, but if it wasn't bled correctly it's not something that's going to get better. Nothing should feel different since you have the same pads and rotors on.

I am confused - I felt the pedal too soft yesterday and the dealer sent me back saying its ok. Today I am feeling the pedal medium soft-definitely better than yesterday. I am out of warranty in 11 days. I don't know what should I do. Is it normal for the brake feel to get better after bleeding in a day or two? Imo they should be bleeding from all for sides and not just the rear two which I think they have done - but I am not sure.
    I agree with madar, you shouldn’t feel any different right after the brake job. Soft and mushing feeling on your brake pedal means you have some air trapped in the brake system. It usually won’t improve by itself and you should take your CX-5 back and tell them to bleed the air out of the brake system.

Based on your experience, I don’t feel Hiley in Hurst did a good job on your rear caliper replacement, although we have to give them credit giving you new revised rear calipers.

Wow, you didn’t tell us this story before! I wonder why those Mazda “certified” mechanics can’t even do a simple brake bleeding job right with all the proper tools?

The same on those Toyota “certified” mechanics who can’t do a simple oil change job right on my Yaris iA?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Wow, you didn*t tell us this story before! I wonder why those Mazda *certified* mechanics can*t even do a simple brake bleeding job right with all the proper tools?

The same on those Toyota *certified* mechanics who can*t do a simple oil change job right on my Yaris iA?
    They did it when I had my oil pan changed for an oil leak last November. They also managed to put 6 quarts of engine oil in a 5 quart sump. I hate that word "certified".

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

I just looked at my bill they only bled rear calipers and not front. I guess this is what TSB says but it should not make the brakes feel mushy or soft.

Registered Member

I just looked at my bill they only bled rear calipers and not front. I guess this is what TSB says but it should not make the brakes feel mushy or soft.
    They didn't bleed them right, bring it back again.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Called Mazda Corporate - he tells me Hiley did not think the TSB was needed but they did it in good faith. And now that they did it in good faith - they are not going to look at issues arising from this. Will talk to a second dealership Freeman and see if they can fix it. Cluster F

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

You mean they should bleed all 4? or you mean that they did not bleed the rear two right?

Registered Member

The rear two.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast