Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 rear brake TSB resolution

Registered Member

2016 rear brake TSB resolution

Hi folks,

Has anyone received good resolution to TSB 04-001-18-3418? This is regarding the rear brakes on a 2016 CX-5. I was able confirm that my VIN is affected. Here is the abstract to this issue:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/M...Communications

Some vehicles with the electric parking brake (EPB) may exhibit rear brake dragging, resulting in brake noise and abnormal outer brake pad wear. The vehicle may also roll momentarily when starting from a stand-still with the EPB applied. This concern may be caused by the EPB not releasing completely. Modifications to the calipers have been made to eliminate this concern.

I'm going between the dealer and Mazda USA on this now. I'm trying to determine what the exact "Modifications to the calipers" are that fixes the rear brake issue...

In 45,000 miles I have gone through one set of rotors and two sets of pads.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mcoulter; 04-15-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Adding details

Registered Member

Sorry. I'm the OP here and just realized there is a sub forum for brakes. Can the mods move my post there please?

Thanks!

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by mcoulter View Post
    Sorry. I'm the OP here and just realized there is a sub forum for brakes. Can the mods move my post there please?

Thanks!
    The rear calipers have got new mechanisms. The whole shebang including damaged pads and discs get done under warranty.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2016 rear brake TSB resolution

Hi folks,

Has anyone received good resolution to TSB 04-001-18-3418? This is regarding the rear brakes on a 2016 CX-5. I was able confirm that my VIN is affected. *
    This TSB has been discussed many times here since Anchorman posted the the latest official document as Mazda had gone through several different fixes and failed. I was lucky that I persuaded the master tech at my Mazda dealer replaced rear brake calipers*rotors*and pads based on this TSB right before my 3-year / 36,000-mile new-car warranty expired although my EPB brake dragging issue at the time was very minimum. I knew my 2016 CX-5 needed newer irevised rear calipers or the problem will be there which would cause noise and early and uneven rear brake pads wear. Some even experienced total lock-up on the highway due to extremely hot rear brake system from continuously dragging. All 2016 CX-5's with EPB assembled before September 9, 2016 will have older version of rear calipers and will have this issue sooner or later.

See the attachment for details:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Registered Member

Thank you all very much!

FWIW, I did complain about the rear brake wear last April when the care was within warranty. I was essentially brushed off my the service department. I probably used the word "recall" since it was crazy that back pads (and therefor rotors) would wear so quickly... so the service guy was probably technically accurate when he said "no, no recall on this" but they didn't even offer to do the "diagnosis procedure" spelled out in the repair guidance file.

So here I am one year (and out of warranty) later doing my best to document my efforts last year. Fortunately I have my parts receipt for the pads & rotors and can confirm what the mileage was at that time.

Wish me luck...

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    This TSB has been discussed many times here since Anchorman posted the the latest official document as Mazda had gone through several different fixes and failed. I was lucky that I persuaded the master tech at my Mazda dealer replaced rear brake calipers*rotors*and pads based on this TSB right before my 3-year / 36,000-mile new-car warranty expired although my EPB brake dragging issue at the time was very minimum. I knew my 2016 CX-5 needed newer irevised rear calipers or the problem will be there which would cause noise and early and uneven rear brake pads wear. Some even experienced total lock-up on the highway due to extremely hot rear brake system from continuously dragging. All 2016 CX-5's with EPB assembled before September 9, 2016 will have older version of rear calipers and will have this issue sooner or later.

See the attachment for details:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging
    The build date on my CX is 8/2016 but I'm not having any issues with my rear brakes. My warranty will be up in December of this year. What would you advise?
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Registered Member

I'm going through this now and *to me* the key issue is the lot number stamped on the caliper. Is your number less than 697?

This information is on page 6 of the TSB:

NOTE: Part numbers of caliper have not been changed by this modification. Distinguish the modified one from old one using the 3-digit lot number (Production Date) stamped on the caliper. Calipers with the lot number (production date) of 697 (2016/09/07) and higher are modified.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

I'm going through this now and *to me* the key issue is the lot number stamped on the caliper. Is your number less than 697?

NOTE: Part numbers of caliper have not been changed by this modification. Distinguish the modified one from old one using the 3-digit lot number (Production Date) stamped on the caliper. Calipers with the lot number (production date) of 697 (2016/09/07) and higher are modified.
    I went through the same crap you are now, dealer not knowing their own TSB issues. I had to show them a print out of the TSB in question and still got that fuzzy look. My calipers didn't even have a lot number stamping on them.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Thanks for pointing this out to me, page 5 actually.

Anyone know if it's possible to see the 3-digit lot number without pulling the wheel off? I'm not familiar enough with those calipers to know if it's visible or not.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Cx5

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out to me, page 5 actually.

Anyone know if it's possible to see the 3-digit lot number without pulling the wheel off? I'm not familiar enough with those calipers to know if it's visible or not.
    I think its centered on the top of the caliper towards the outside. Iím in a similar situation trying to confirm the lot date before my warranty expires in a few thousand miles. Itís really hard to read. All I can make out is a 6 and a 9.

Registered Member

Cx5

Can anyone confirm where the 3 digit date code is on the caller?

Registered Member

Hi, it is stamped here in the recessed area. Please see the sliders for perspective. As you can see mine are so rusted that the number can't be read:

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    The build date on my CX is 8/2016 but I'm not having any issues with my rear brakes. My warranty will be up in December of this year. What would you advise?
    For those who canít tell thereís dragging issue from EPB, you should still bring up the TSB and ask service advisor to check the uneven thickness between inner and outer rear disc pads during the last Mazda dealer visit before warranty expires. Chances are the tech will say nothing wrong as in my case. You can try to argue and ask a master mechanic to re-check, which was my case too. If every effort fails, at least you have a record about this issue, and if later you indeed aware the dragging issue and requires a service, you can at least try to contact Mazda North American Operations and mention you have brought this issue up to your Mazda dealer before under warranty, but the dealer failed to do anything to it.

I wouldnít bother to check the physical lot number stamped on the rear brake caliper, but simply check the vehicle manufacture date printed on the door jamb label. The TSB says every CX-5 manufactured before September 9, 2016 will have older version calipers.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Mine are being fixed now. 32K miles never felt an issue but heard noises and ignored it. Mazda evaluated that pads and rotors are fine and did not warrant replacement. They only replaced the Caliper. I asked my advisor for pics for my reference he said his foreman did not save those.
    If shit hits the fan I can point out that I had insisted this be looked at. What my experience was instead of being upfront about the issue - they have delayed and denied it and said my warranty is out which is not . My warranty is over in 12 days.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Mine are being fixed now. 32K miles never felt an issue but heard noises and ignored it. Mazda evaluated that pads and rotors are fine and did not warrant replacement. They only replaced the Caliper. I asked my advisor for pics for my reference he said his foreman did not save those.
    If shit hits the fan I can point out that I had insisted this be looked at. What my experience was instead of being upfront about the issue - they have delayed and denied it and said my warranty is out which is not . My warranty is over in 12 days.
    Good for you!

Your rear pads and rotors are cheap and easy to replace when the time comes. But revised rear calipers are expensive and harder to replace. I did the same thing brought my CX-5 in 7 days before warranty expires. Had my Mazda dealer to check EPB dragging issue at the time and got rejected by the tech. But the tech screwed up several things out of 10 items for warranty service. That made me mad and insisted to talk to a Master Tech. He agreed those wrong doings and also agreed to check the rear brakes in person. Later he agreed there was some symptoms of dragging and he himself replaced everything. The Master Tech told me the revised rear calipers look exactly the same as the old ones, only the batch number can tell the difference.

Mind to tell us which Mazda dealer did you go?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast