2.5 turbo may be coming

Found another short article..

https://driving.ca/mazda/auto-news/...-over-a-new-mazdaspeed3-but-wont-call-it-that

Come on Mazda..

giphy.gif

According to this article, Mazda wants to know if people are interested.
I'm inquiring into how to reach them to let them know I most definitely am.

For now, I dug up this email address: MazdaCustomerAssistance@mazdausa.com.

If I come up with something better, I'll post. Likewise, if anybody has a more appropriate address or link to express our wishes, please share!

Edit: Car and Driver has a poll: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27127908/mazda-considers-mazdaspeed-3-hot-hatch/

Last edited:
Honestly, the 2.5T is not an exciting engine. I would rather they do what they did to the 2.0 engine in the Miata to the 2.5 NA engine. The 2.5T is nice but just not performance associated.

Honestly, the 2.5T is not an exciting engine. I would rather they do what they did to the 2.0 engine in the Miata to the 2.5 NA engine. The 2.5T is nice but just not performance associated.

If they do this and add the SkyActiv-X tech then we be looking at ~230hp/210lbft with a much more exiting power delivery than the 2.5T. I would be in on that.

The problem is not the engine, it is the transmission, and possibly the rest of the drivetrain. Mazda really needs a new 8sp auto. Something that can handle aggressive applications of that 310 lb ft of torque.

-kp

The problem is not the engine, it is the transmission, and possibly the rest of the drivetrain. Mazda really needs a new 8sp auto. Something that can handle aggressive applications of that 310 lb ft of torque.

-kp

I don't think the transmission is the problem, it is the engine as Dougal states. Horsepower peaks at like 5K RPM for Mazda's 2.5T engine. Contrast that to the Accord's 2.0T engine which stays strong and peaks at 6500 RPM. That 1500 RPM gap between 5000 and 6500 is what makes the Accord's engine more performance oriented. If Mazda can figure out how to stretch the power and make it peak at like 6000 RPM or more (even better), then it would be an improvement. It is no secret that Mazda intentionally designed the 2.5T engine for mid range RPM performance and not "all-out" performance. They can do better if they really want to.

I don't think the transmission is the problem, it is the engine as Dougal states. Horsepower peaks at like 5K RPM for Mazda's 2.5T engine. Contrast that to the Accord's 2.0T engine which stays strong and peaks at 6500 RPM. That 1500 RPM gap between 5000 and 6500 is what makes the Accord's engine more performance oriented. If Mazda can figure out how to stretch the power and make it peak at like 6000 RPM or more (even better), then it would be an improvement. It is no secret that Mazda intentionally designed the 2.5T engine for mid range RPM performance and not "all-out" performance. They can do better if they really want to.

I know people don't like the Honda turbos because of the fuel dilution issue (and I have reservations myself) but from a pure performance standpoint, they are really good. The Honda 2.0T just moves. Very close second to the Audi/VW 2.0T. The Mazda 2.5T is nice but is really designed for the CX-9.

With that said, the 2.0 in the new Miata is absolutely fantastic. If you can't tell the difference between the 2018 and the 2019 Miata's just by engine feel, I have no hope for you. The new 2.0 NA just goes and goes and pulls hard above 4-5K. It really is nice and should be the basis of a 2.0T to go in the Mazda 3.

If they do this and add the SkyActiv-X tech then we be looking at ~230hp/210lbft with a much more exiting power delivery than the 2.5T. I would be in on that.
I'd much rather have the low- to mid-range torque than have to rev the crap out of it to get the horses. Unless you're planning on tracking it, which I am not, there's no place to take advantage of that upper end performance. 0-80 and throwing it into and out of corners is where I get my thrills. I'm just looking for more day-to-day driving fun, which I'm pretty sure the 2.5t in this car, even in its current tune, will deliver quite sufficiently. And if you do need more top end, I'd bet a coffee there will be tunes available in short order to make it so.

I'd much rather have the low- to mid-range torque than have to rev the crap out of it to get the horses. Unless you're planning on tracking it, which I am not, there's no place to take advantage of that upper end performance. 0-80 and throwing it into and out of corners is where I get my thrills. I'm just looking for more day-to-day driving fun, which I'm pretty sure the 2.5t in this car, even in its current tune, will deliver quite sufficiently. And if you do need more top end, I'd bet a coffee there will be tunes available in short order to make it so.

Orange Virus Tuning is currently tuning the 2.5T out of their Philippines location, and DRTuned in Canada will be offering tunes soon as well. Both are using the same software, but if I were to choose one, it would probably be OVT based on their previous experience.

Other manufacturers don't have sky-high compression ratios to deal with. Cranking up the boost for a Skyactive engine may not be as easy as it sounds.

Back