Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    Radial T/A's?

That's the last BFG tires I had. They looked good on my '79 Bandit TransAm. I guess I didn't know they were still making tires, as no one ever mentions them in threads like this.
    BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT 225/55R19 is Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire which is fairly new but has been listed in my 2nd comparison table.

Although BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is now rated #1 out of 30 in Tire Ratings Charts on Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires from TireRack.com which overtook the previous Michelin Premier LTX®, but it has only 156K reported miles from customers, comparing to Premier LTX's 7M miles. We shall wait and see.

Based on specs on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, I personally don't like the "700 B A" UTQG, lower 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and heavier 30 lbs. tire weight.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT 225/55R19 is Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire which is fairly new but has been listed in my 2nd comparison table.

Although BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is now rated #1 out of 30 in Tire Ratings Charts on Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires from TireRack.com which overtook the previous Michelin Premier LTX®, but it has only 156K reported miles from customers, comparing to Premier LTX's 7M miles. We shall wait and see.

Based on specs on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, I personally don't like the "700 B A" UTQG, lower 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and heavier 30 lbs. tire weight.
    It also performs absolutely dismally in the rain, and I'd never buy them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=229

Just look at that wet pavement stopping distance!

Arrow Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    It also performs absolutely dismally in the rain, and I'd never buy them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=229

Just look at that wet pavement stopping distance!
    Didn't check the test results performed by TireRack but only mentioned good initial customer reviews with caution.

I agree with you the test results are not good in almost EVERY category on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, not just in wet test track!

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Didn't check the test results performed by TireRack but only mentioned good initial customer reviews with caution.

I agree with you the test results are not good in almost EVERY category on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, not just in wet test track!
    The wet track test was troublesome to me, though, as it was exceptionally pathetic, and wet roads are something I have where I live, as I am sure they do in Plano.

Arrow Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    The wet track test was troublesome to me, though, as it was exceptionally pathetic, and wet roads are something I have where I live, as I am sure they do in Plano.
    Yep, we just got 2.49" of rain yesterday and 1.05" today. Definitely won't consider BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT. General AltiMAX™ RT43 is performed much better in every category and cheaper!

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Checking tread depth is easy. Look for the wear bars to be flush with the tread.

'06 MX-5 6MT, Custom Sprung Ohlins, Tomei LSD
    '16.5 CX-5 T AWD w/more Soul
    IBA/COG Desmoquattro for pleasure

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

X
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

If you search for tires on tirerack.com by entering your make, model, and trim, you will see that the Pirellis are recommended. I have found that Pirelli as tire brand make some excellent tires. I am running with their P-Zeros on my 3 and they are the best tires I've ever had.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

Quote Originally Posted by DG_1234 View Post
    No matter which the tire model-brand I replace at about 30K miles (even if the tires still have lots of remaining wear life).
    What's your rationale behind this?

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
    Hello,

At what mileage did you replace your OEM tires on your CX-5? I*m currently at 15k miles, and am thinking about putting some Pirelli*s on. My tires still seem like they*re in OK condition, and was just wondering what type of mileage I could get out of these?

If you did replace them, what did you go with? What would you recommend?

Thanks all!
    Check the sticker on any Pirelli tire. It clearly says, at the bottom of the sticker:

TO MAINTAIN VEHICLE DYNAMICS AND LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY, REPLACEMENT
    TIRES MUST ALWAYS HAVE A LOAD INDEX AND SPEED RATING THAT EQUALS OR
    EXCEEDS THAT OF THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TIRES OF THE VEHICLE

I asked my COSTCO tire rep about this as I too was considering Pirelli's when my Toyo's wore out on my first CX-5. He suggested that this might be an issue at some tire dealers should a Pirelli fail on your vehicle, BUT, COSTCO offers their own in house warranty(not backed by Pirelli in this case) and they would totally warranty using an H rated tire on a V rated CX-5. If you are sold on the Pirelli you should check with your tire dealer on how/if they would warranty H rated Pirelli's on your CX-5.

In the end I went with the V rated Michelin Premier LTX in the OEM 225/55/19 size and absolutely loved them.
    Last edited by kdaug; 05-12-2019 at 06:38 PM.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Was the load rating similar between the Pirellis and the OEMs? Those are most likely the most critical numbers.
    A V-rated tire is capable of 149 MPH. Is the CX5 2.5 non-turbo capable of exceeding 130 MPH (H-rating)?
    I believe 130 MPH is a sustained speed rating that has a safety factor, allowing brief bursts of speed beyond 130.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    What's your rationale behind this?
    Money burning a hole in his pocket?
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 86k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    Was the load rating similar between the Pirellis and the OEMs? Those are most likely the most critical numbers.
    A V-rated tire is capable of 149 MPH. Is the CX5 2.5 non-turbo capable of exceeding 130 MPH (H-rating)?
    I believe 130 MPH is a sustained speed rating that has a safety factor, allowing brief bursts of speed beyond 130.
    I believe the top speed of a CX-5 is 120 MPH.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

As much as I hate the Altimax for mushy feeling their wet performance is good.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    As much as I hate the Altimax for mushy feeling their wet performance is good.
    You need to add a couple of PSI of air.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast