Tires

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello,

At what mileage did you replace your OEM tires on your CX-5? Im currently at 15k miles, and am thinking about putting some Pirellis on. My tires still seem like theyre in OK condition, and was just wondering what type of mileage I could get out of these?

If you did replace them, what did you go with? What would you recommend?

Thanks all!

It really depends on your driving habit and maintenance. My OEM Toyo A23 225/55R19's on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD currently have 33,499 miles and they have 4/32" tread depth all around. I keep tire pressure at 39~40 psi and rotate tires once every 5,000 miles as recommended by Mazda,. Based on "300 A A" UTQG rating on these Toyo's, 30,000-mile life time (to wear-bar, 2/32" tread depth) should be expected for a CX-5 with routing rotation and an average driver.

You have Toyo A36, but everything should be very similar to my Toyo A23.

Although Mazda has been using H rated 17" tires on certain CX-5 trims, some people have concerns that Pirelli's manufacture warranty may be voided if the owner didn't use the replacement Pirelli tires with the same speed rating as OE tires. This may cause some problem to choose Pirelli tires as they only offer H rated tires for the size of 225/55R19, but the OE Toyo's are V rated.

I personally would choose either General AltiMAX RT43 for major brand, or Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V for half of the price.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

It really depends on your driving habit and maintenance. My OEM Toyo A23 225/55R19's on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD currently have 33,499 miles and they have 4/32" tread depth all around. I keep tire pressure at 39~40 psi and rotate tires once every 5,000 miles as recommended by Mazda,. Based on "300 A A" UTQG rating on these Toyo's, 30,000-mile life time (to wear-bar, 2/32" tread depth) should be expected for a CX-5 with routing rotation and an average driver.

You have Toyo A36, but everything should be very similar to my Toyo A23.

Although Mazda has been using H rated 17" tires on certain CX-5 trims, some people have concerns that Pirelli's manufacture warranty may be voided if the owner didn't use the replacement Pirelli tires with the same speed rating as OE tires. This may cause some problem to choose Pirelli tires as they only offer H rated tires for the size of 225/55R19, but the OE Toyo's are V rated.

I personally would choose either General AltiMAX RT43 for major brand, or Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V for half of the price.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Thats interesting about the tires. I thought for sure the Pirellis would be a good choice. Ill definitely take a look at the tire comparison guide

Thats interesting about the tires. I thought for sure the Pirellis would be a good choice. Ill definitely take a look at the tire comparison guide
Like Sig cx-5 suggested, you should check tire tread depth first at 15,000 miles that your CX-5 currently have. You may still have another 15,000 miles to go from your OE Toyo tires.

If you really like Pirellis, check the manufacture warranty first to Pirelli and see if the speed rating thing is legit. I personally have never heard of this, but this'd been mentioned by some forum members. Besides, Mazda does use H rated 17" tires on CX-5, there's nothing wrong to use H rated 19" tires on it too.

This is copied directly from the Pirelli tire warranty description on their website. Seems pretty clear to me!

"CAUTION:
Please be aware that it is important to ensure that, before fitting the suggested tires, the fitting is
allowed by the technical specifications of the vehicle, the vehicle manufacturer and the relevant
homologations. Pirelli does not express any view as to the compatibility of the wheel/tire
combination with the technical specifications for the chassis and vehicle.

TO MAINTAIN VEHICLE DYNAMICS AND LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY, REPLACEMENT
TIRES MUST ALWAYS HAVE A LOAD INDEX AND SPEED RATING THAT EQUALS OR
EXCEEDS THAT OF THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TIRES OF THE VEHICLE."

A reputable tire seller or mounter will follow the above CAUTION, to avoid legal issues in case of a crash. Ed

A reputable tire seller or mounter will follow the above CAUTION, to avoid legal issues in case of a crash. Ed

Tire Rack shows some that are the correct size for my CX-5 when I enter my vehicles information. I will go talk to a tire shop.

Mine got replaced at 30K. Went with BF Goodrich Advantage TVA. The new tires have 21K on them and show very little wear.

When I traded in my 2016 with 55,000 miles last September, it still had the stock Toyos on it. I was really pushing it though and probably shouldn't have held out that long but I hate putting new tires on a car in the middle of summer.

18k miles on the stockers here, and they*re about halfway gone...

I may replace them at the start of winter, who knows, but whenever the time comes it will definitely be with the General RT43....

Hello,

At what mileage did you replace your OEM tires on your CX-5? I*m currently at 15k miles, and am thinking about putting some Pirelli*s on. My tires still seem like they*re in OK condition, and was just wondering what type of mileage I could get out of these?

If you did replace them, what did you go with? What would you recommend?

Thanks all!

I would keep the Toyo's until 25K to 30K miles, and at that time I would install BF Goodrich.

I would keep the Toyo's until 25K to 30K miles, and at that time I would install BF Goodrich.

Radial T/A's? :)

That's the last BFG tires I had. They looked good on my '79 Bandit TransAm. I guess I didn't know they were still making tires, as no one ever mentions them in threads like this.

That's the last BFG tires I had. They looked good on my '79 Bandit TransAm. I guess I didn't know they were still making tires, as no one ever mentions them in threads like this.

On my 2016 CX-5 I had Toyo's, Geolanders, and BF Goodrich. The BF Goodrich were my favorite for city driving handling characteristics as well as freeway cruising:)
No matter which the tire model-brand I replace at about 30K miles (even if the tires still have lots of remaining wear life).

No matter which the tire model-brand I replace at about 30K miles (even if the tires still have lots of remaining wear life).

Seems like a waste to do that. Unless you absolutely hate the tires or you're moving to a different size.

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT 225/55R19 is Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire which is fairly new but has been listed in my 2nd comparison table.

Although BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is now rated #1 out of 30 in Tire Ratings Charts on Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires from TireRack.com which overtook the previous Michelin Premier LTX, but it has only 156K reported miles from customers, comparing to Premier LTX's 7M miles. We shall wait and see.

Based on specs on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, I personally don't like the "700 B A" UTQG, lower 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and heavier 30 lbs. tire weight.

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT 225/55R19 is Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire which is fairly new but has been listed in my 2nd comparison table.

Although BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is now rated #1 out of 30 in Tire Ratings Charts on Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires from TireRack.com which overtook the previous Michelin Premier LTX, but it has only 156K reported miles from customers, comparing to Premier LTX's 7M miles. We shall wait and see.

Based on specs on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, I personally don't like the "700 B A" UTQG, lower 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and heavier 30 lbs. tire weight.

It also performs absolutely dismally in the rain, and I'd never buy them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=229

Just look at that wet pavement stopping distance!

It also performs absolutely dismally in the rain, and I'd never buy them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=229

Just look at that wet pavement stopping distance!
Didn't check the test results performed by TireRack but only mentioned good initial customer reviews with caution.

I agree with you the test results are not good in almost EVERY category on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, not just in wet test track!

Didn't check the test results performed by TireRack but only mentioned good initial customer reviews with caution.

I agree with you the test results are not good in almost EVERY category on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, not just in wet test track!

The wet track test was troublesome to me, though, as it was exceptionally pathetic, and wet roads are something I have where I live, as I am sure they do in Plano.

The wet track test was troublesome to me, though, as it was exceptionally pathetic, and wet roads are something I have where I live, as I am sure they do in Plano.
Yep, we just got 2.49" of rain yesterday and 1.05" today. Definitely won't consider BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT. General AltiMAX RT43 is performed much better in every category and cheaper!

Back