2017~2024 2019 Mazda GTR MPG and other topics report

Good news. I just drove 100 miles on relatively flat terrain. Dash said that I got 30.5 MPG. Average speed somewhere between 65-72 mph. Car has 300 miles on it, so engine very fresh. The throttle is really sensitive at tip-in, so I had to be very careful with that.

Really like this car, great purchase so far. It goes like stink or its gets great MPG - wow - a desert topping and a floor wax.

I'm 6' with long legs, so this weekend I'm raising the seats as I did in my Civic with 1 1/4" square tubing.

Turned off the wildly inaccurate auto rain sensing wiper control.

Damn. That's pretty good.

I just hit 800 miles on my GTR.

First tank of gas was 23.4 MPG.
Second tank of gas was 24.8 MPG.
Then I hit the break-in miles and started REALLY enjoying it...mileage went down.

I live on all rural roads...minimum 45MPH (and lots of "Speed Limit Ends") but all curves & hills. And minimal highway travel.

ps: Bonus points for the Dan Aykroyd/legacy SNL reference. Now I gotta work the Bass-O-Matic into conversation somehow ;)

Last edited:
Good news. I just drove 100 miles on relatively flat terrain. Dash said that I got 30.5 MPG. Average speed somewhere between 65-72 mph. Car has 300 miles on it, so engine very fresh. The throttle is really sensitive at tip-in, so I had to be very careful with that.

Really like this car, great purchase so far. It goes like stink or its gets great MPG - wow - a desert topping and a floor wax.

I'm 6' with long legs, so this weekend I'm raising the seats as I did in my Civic with 1 1/4" square tubing.

Turned off the wildly inaccurate auto rain sensing wiper control.

I average 27-28 on my daily commute, but only when I use Phillips 66 91 octane ethanol free. Even other brands of ethanol free gas 91 to 93 seem to put me in the 25-26 range. Maybe its just luck of the draw on how I drive and when, but it sure seems to be a trend. Over on BITOG, Ive read of cars really preferring certain fuel brands, and I wrote it off, but am reconsidering.

I average 27-28 on my daily commute, but only when I use Phillips 66 91 octane ethanol free. Even other brands of ethanol free gas 91 to 93 seem to put me in the 25-26 range. Maybe its just luck of the draw on how I drive and when, but it sure seems to be a trend. Over on BITOG, Ive read of cars really preferring certain fuel brands, and I wrote it off, but am reconsidering.

What did you read about the type of gas that Mazdas prefer?

Successfully installed 1 1/4" square tubing under my front seat rails today. Also moved seats back 3/4". For me with my long legs, I can now get the driver's seat perfectly adjusted with the right amount of front thigh support.

Also, my long trip MPG is most likely impossible if there's any amount of stop-and-go or curvy roads. I was just curious what consistent freeway driving MPG would be. My 2017 Civic EX-L has returned 40 mpg on the same 100 mile trip.

Nothing really, just some people randomly discussing it on BITOG.

Over the years, I've heard people having a preference. My brother only burned Esso/Exxon in his '67 Camaro. Personally, I've never felt confident that conditions were repeatable (roads, traffic, temp/humidity), and that I was removing subjectivity from the equation.

One thing I've encountered is that some of the You Tube guys recommend "Top Tier" gas for GDI engines. (I was researching dilution/carbon issues). There's still supposed to be a marginal benefit to their detergents in GDI engines. Apparently, there was a AAA study on Top Tier gas a while ago, where that GDI benefit was parenthetically mentioned, but I could never find the study on their website to see exactly what that benefit might be. I can't imagine that any appreciable amount of gas makes it to the back of the valves.

Over the years, I've heard people having a preference. My brother only burned Esso/Exxon in his '67 Camaro. Personally, I've never felt confident that conditions were repeatable (roads, traffic, temp/humidity), and that I was removing subjectivity from the equation.

One thing I've encountered is that some of the You Tube guys recommend "Top Tier" gas for GDI engines. (I was researching dilution/carbon issues). There's still supposed to be a marginal benefit to their detergents in GDI engines. Apparently, there was a AAA study on Top Tier gas a while ago, where that GDI benefit was parenthetically mentioned, but I could never find the study on their website to see exactly what that benefit might be. I can't imagine that any appreciable amount of gas makes it to the back of the valves.

I use TT, ethanol free.

Is it better?
Does it help?

Well, it sure doesn't harm.

I commute ~40mi each way, 95% freeway. About 1/2 @ 70-80mph and the rest @ 50-70mph, depending on traffic. Using the ACC, I'm seeing 27.0 - 27.5mpg on most every tankful. Now at 4500mi on my GTR

Also, my long trip MPG is most likely impossible if there's any amount of stop-and-go or curvy roads. I was just curious what consistent freeway driving MPG would be. My 2017 Civic EX-L has returned 40 mpg on the same 100 mile trip.

Back