Help for stiff suspension

Driver123

I have a 2019 Touring and the stiff suspension is hard to get used to. Are there any mods that can be done to soften things up? The 2019s have 17 inch wheels and Yokohama tires. Ive read threads about other tires giving a softer ride, but will that be a very noticeable change? Anyone have experience with this?

Yes, tire pressure is 34 and we did test drive them. After putting a few hundred miles on it we find the ride more jittery than we thought it would be. I*ve read others have good luck switching to General Altimax tires but I wonder if this would make enough difference to be worthwhile. The suspension is fine for big bumps but it transmits all road imperfections and little bumps.

The suspension is fine for big bumps but it transmits all road imperfections and little bumps.

lol-that's one of the things I like about it! I want to feel the road.

You could try lowering your pressures to 32 or even 30. My dealer delivered it with 30 [wtf?] and it was really soft. Feels best to me at 36.

You could try adjusting to different pressures as suggested above.For me that didn't work,so I went with the general Altimax RT43H for a major improvement in ride quality.The yoko's were too harsh for me in the long run (which only lasted 3000 miles),then they were gone.Good riddance.
From a comfort standpoint, a major improvement and only a slight reduction in handling sharpness.For me it was worth trying other tires before starting to hate a car I loved otherwise. Jmaz

You Could also buy my koni Sport shocks from me, there adjustable from soft to full firm.

Soft tires will wear very fast.
My car is like a gocart, almost no suspension and I enjoy it a lot.
You did not know, that this car and other Mazdas are drivers cars?

The suspension is fine for big bumps but it transmits all road imperfections and little bumps.

Yes....that's kind of the point with the CX-5. A driver's car where you can feel the road. If you wanted the driving a floating boat experience, Mazda was the wrong way to go.

I got a great trade in deal at a local tire shop and chose continental truecontact tour tires, which are #1 rated on tire rack in the touring section, just above Michelin defenders for comfort and noise, traction and handling. They made a difference and now the ride is much more comfortable. I still feel the road but the harshness is gone and our heads dont bobble around over every bump like before. Well worth it. Paid $200 out the door after my trade in of the Yokohamas with 500 miles on them.

I got a great trade in deal at a local tire shop and chose continental truecontact tour tires, which are #1 rated on tire rack in the touring section, just above Michelin defenders for comfort and noise, traction and handling. They made a difference and now the ride is much more comfortable. I still feel the road but the harshness is gone and our heads don*t bobble around over every bump like before. Well worth it. Paid $200 out the door after my trade in of the Yokohama*s with 500 miles on them.

Well glad to hear that made you happier with the feel of the car.

Congratulations on enhancing your comfort,I know it was really bugging you.I think you got a super deal from the tire shop.Now I wish I would have pursued what you did.Happy driving! Jmaz

Mazdas are never gonna be Buicks, thank Goodness. I think mine is too soft in the rear, too much travel over a bump, too much motion after a bump.

Mazdas are never gonna be Buicks, thank Goodness. I think mine is too soft in the rear, too much travel over a bump, too much motion after a bump.

Sounds like bad shocks.

Found this thread figured Id chime in. After driving my mothers 2018 CX-5 and being really impressed with it I decided to lease a 2019. I did test drive it but I guess I was more focused on the extra technology than the ride which is of course my fault. But now I definitely notice that the 2019s are much firmer and bumpier than the 2018s. I really prefer the 2018 ride comfort but it is what it is. Anybody else notice the big change in suspension from last years model?

Found this thread figured Id chime in. After driving my mothers 2018 CX-5 and being really impressed with it I decided to lease a 2019. I did test drive it but I guess I was more focused on the extra technology than the ride which is of course my fault. But now I definitely notice that the 2019s are much firmer and bumpier than the 2018s. I really prefer the 2018 ride comfort but it is what it is. Anybody else notice the big change in suspension from last years model?
Which model do you have of your 2019 CX-5? Or do you have 17" tires or 19" tires? The suspension is the same between 2018 and 2019 CX-5's, even with 2.5T turbo. You should check your tire pressure first, making sure you measure it cold, and should be 35 psi or less than 3 psi above.

Which model do you have of your 2019 CX-5? Or do you have 17" tires or 19" tires? The suspension is the same between 2018 and 2019 CX-5's, even with 2.5T turbo. You should check your tire pressure first, making sure you measure it cold, and should be 35 psi or less than 3 psi above.

I'm not sure if the CX-5 shares this "quirk", but on the CX-9, there were two different tires that could come mounted to the OEM 20" wheels from the factory. You either got Falkens or Bridgestones. I thought at first that it was due to region/market, but I think it was also due to MY. Looks like OP had Yokohama tires before swapping them out. Iceman1680, what brand and model tires do you have on your car? Are they the same tires as the ones on your mom's car?

Additionally I'd compare the PSI of the tires on your mom's car and match them to your own.

Grand touring with performance package. Tires are 19 Toyo. I will check the tire pressure and see where its at and will also check my moms tires. Thanks for the tips guys.

Back