Ceramic Coating - What's the catch?

I did run across this test. In his test, the synthetic wax I used, Griot's liquid poly wax, only lasted 4 months which is not good. The ceramic coatings last a lot longer than that. It seems to be a lagit test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYwEbCvcxU (01 17 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIgApa8T6Q (05 03 2018)

Just to point out the obvious...

>A 16 oz. container of Griot's cost $20-$25.
>Ceramic coatings are $600 (really cheap) to $1,800 and up, including prep.
>>That's 30-90+ bottles of Griot's (unadjusted for your labor). Ceramics BETTER be better!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do film, coatings or standard wax. (Someone else here mentioned Produxa.)
In other words, $$$$$, $$$, or $.

It was so much simpler when I was 18. A hose, one bucket (no grit guards, no microfiber), some Tide, a can of Simonize, and chrome polish. Lots and lots of chrome polish.

Last edited:

>>That's 30-90+ bottles of Griot's (unadjusted for your labor). Ceramics BETTER be better!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do film, coatings or standard wax. (Someone else here mentioned Produxa.)

It was so much simpler when I was 18. A hose, one bucket (no grit guards, no microfiber), some Tide, a can of Simonize, and chrome polish. Lots and lots of chrome polish.

The films work for sure, they protect stone hits and scratches but is expensive. I don't know how often they need to be removed and reapplied. Back to waxes, that guy's test showed that cheap Nu Finish lasted 1 year 3 months and still going. I might give that stuff a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fznghWNhPzA

The films work for sure, they protect stone hits and scratches but is expensive. I don't know how often they need to be removed and reapplied. Back to waxes, that guy's test showed that cheap Nu Finish lasted 1 year 3 months and still going. I might give that stuff a try.

Nu Finish is about half the price. It seems to be a less intense version of nano coatings (polymers rather than waxes.) My problem is I always zoom to the One Star ratings on this stuff. Even the 5 Star ratings for Nu Finish make reference to residual product "not showing up so much on white vehicles."

Regarding the longevity of the professionally applied stuff, including minimum prep costs (it varies), the local detailer quoted:

-$1,150 for a 3 year nano coating
-$1,750 for a 7-10 year coating (I don't know why he gave me a range on this one. We did not discuss warranties on any of the coatings)
-$1,700 for a 10 year self-healing film

If I do anything, it will be the film.

I did run across this test. In his test, the synthetic wax I used, Griot's liquid poly wax, only lasted 4 months which is not good. The ceramic coatings last a lot longer than that. It seems to be a lagit test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYwEbCvcxU (01 17 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIgApa8T6Q (05 03 2018)

Great find. The data are pretty subjective and I don't really know what "real" word difference this would make.

With that said, these results are interesting. What is interesting is that my results with Ice-Wax are about what he sees (4-6 months). What is impressive is how well the NU Finish held up at 1 year and 4 months. Basically looks the same as the other "expensive" coatings. Really makes me think if you can put in the effort, a once a year work over with Nu Finish at $12 could be a great deal and just as effective as those more expensive coatings - at least in the short term (<2 years).

Here is the ~16 month update:

Great find. The data are pretty subjective and I don't really know what "real" word difference this would make.

With that said, these results are interesting. What is interesting is that my results with Ice-Wax are about what he sees (4-6 months). What is impressive is how well the NU Finish held up at 1 year and 4 months. Basically looks the same as the other "expensive" coatings. Really makes me think if you can put in the effort, a once a year work over with Nu Finish at $12 could be a great deal and just as effective as those more expensive coatings - at least in the short term (<2 years).

Here is the ~16 month update:

That is really interesting. Maybe I can cut down the NuFinish to once a year instead of two. It does appear to have the same benefits as a ceramic coating minus the shine.

That is really interesting. Maybe I can cut down the NuFinish to once a year instead of two. It does appear to have the same benefits as a ceramic coating minus the shine.

I was reading the Amazon page on it. I cannot recall if this was in the main description or possibly a response to a question, but the manufacturer's suggestion is to reapply after 6 months for the initial treatment. One would assume this is to ensure a complete base coat.

Sounds like you've done this.

Nu Finish is about half the price. It seems to be a less intense version of nano coatings (polymers rather than waxes.) My problem is I always zoom to the One Star ratings on this stuff. Even the 5 Star ratings for Nu Finish make reference to residual product "not showing up so much on white vehicles."

Regarding the longevity of the professionally applied stuff, including minimum prep costs (it varies), the local detailer quoted:

-$1,150 for a 3 year nano coating
-$1,750 for a 7-10 year coating (I don't know why he gave me a range on this one. We did not discuss warranties on any of the coatings)
-$1,700 for a 10 year self-healing film

If I do anything, it will be the film.

I would do the film as well. A mechanical barrier applied this early on (before any additional rock chips or scratches occur) would be my priority vs. a nano coating that basically just makes the car easier to clean.

I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that a ceramic coating provides extra protection from scratches, chips, etc. Maybe from the "ceramic" in the term? Anyway, generally speaking, a coating provides about the same level of protection as a wax does, the coating is just more durable. Washing with Dawn wouldn't prove anything as it might be strong enough to remove waxes and coatings, so a test as performed in the videos previously posted is much more realistic. Those videos give you an idea of real world durability as compared to other waxes and coatings exposed to the same environment/wash cycle.

Again, if I had the money for it, I'd do a full PPF (with paint correction done beforehand) to get the best protection from the elements. Then, depending on how much more I wanted to spend, I'd buy a bottle of Meg's Quik Wax and use it as a drying aid after every 2nd or 3rd wash, or apply a wax every 4-6 months, or apply a coating myself every 2-3 years. I'd only be applying these things for the added hydrophobics to make the car easier to wash and keep clean.

I also use NuFinish and find it works very well and beads water nicely for one year. I do however keep my vehicle in a grage at night if that makes much difference. NuFinish is a great product and ~ $7.50 at Walmarts. Ed

I would do the film as well. A mechanical barrier applied this early on (before any additional rock chips or scratches occur) would be my priority vs. a nano coating that basically just makes the car easier to clean.

I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that a ceramic coating provides extra protection from scratches, chips, etc. Maybe from the "ceramic" in the term? Anyway, generally speaking, a coating provides about the same level of protection as a wax does, the coating is just more durable. Washing with Dawn wouldn't prove anything as it might be strong enough to remove waxes and coatings, so a test as performed in the videos previously posted is much more realistic. Those videos give you an idea of real world durability as compared to other waxes and coatings exposed to the same environment/wash cycle.

Again, if I had the money for it, I'd do a full PPF (with paint correction done beforehand) to get the best protection from the elements. Then, depending on how much more I wanted to spend, I'd buy a bottle of Meg's Quik Wax and use it as a drying aid after every 2nd or 3rd wash, or apply a wax every 4-6 months, or apply a coating myself every 2-3 years. I'd only be applying these things for the added hydrophobics to make the car easier to wash and keep clean.

Yeah, ceramic coating does nothing to prevent scratches or rock chips. To help with that, you need the PPF.

Last edited:
I gave up applying waxes many years ago. It takes me about 20 minutes (every week) using 3D waterless spray that cleans and protects. 4 gallon containers are a bit over $100 but last quite a while when a vehicle uses only 4 oz of the stuff. Of course, if the car is filthy from driving on wet roads, a wash is necessary but from April until November, there is virtually no rain in this area, so tedious car washes are rarely necessary.

I gave up applying waxes many years ago. It takes me about 20 minutes (every week) using 3D waterless spray that cleans and protects. 4 gallon containers are a bit over $100 but last quite a while when a vehicle uses only 4 oz of the stuff. Of course, if the car is filthy from driving on wet roads, a wash is necessary but from April until November, there is virtually no rain in this area, so tedious car washes are rarely necessary.

San Diego. Car owner's heaven.

I definitely would do film first.
it's really worth the investment and peace of mind, knowing your car is protected from road debris and certain chips.
had it on my previous car for 5 years and fared very well.

I gotta think that the ceramic coating industry has no real reason to correct misconceptions about the value of their product. I just searched on "Modesta ceramic coatings" and this was the very first result: "Ceramic Pro is an innovative nano-ceramic hydrophobic coating that protects your paint from road salt, bird droppings, wind damage, scratches, minor bumps and dings." Installer sites talk about hardness and thickness, then I guess human hyperbole does the rest. You have to really look for what's not said in order to clarify the true benefit.

I agree that if money were no object, I would have a full body wrap.
But if money were no object, I would own one of the cars you see on detailer websites that have a full body wrap!

Interesting enough we parked to another soul crystal red Cx-5 . We had ours ceramic coated after it*s first service so mild paint correction was done and a couple of stone chips were also done.

Side by side my wife*s cx-5 paint surface looked far better with less marking and swirls in the paint. I also find the car easy to wash which is noticeable compared to bmw which hasn*t been treated. I*m the sort of person that whilst not a pro do thinks like clay bar / mild cut to remove swirls and three stage seal / polish/ wax.

Going forward I*ll get the CX-5 treated again every few years and will also get the other cars and motorcycle ceramic coated by a pro. A year in I*m a convert

Back