Tape for mounting dash cam?

mox44ah

:
2018 CX-5 GT
What kind of tape does everyone use to mount their dash cams? I have tried 3 or 4 different kinds and none of them last more than a few months. I've even tried the 3M industrial strength double sided tape that is supposed to support up to 5 lbs. Nothing seems to work and every warm day I walk outside and the camera is hanging by the power cable. Any ideas would be helpful. (Yes, I'm cleaning the glass thoroughly and letting the glue cure before mounting the camera)

This might seem like an odd suggestion, but have you tried using the 3M Command velcro strips? Attach a strip to the windshield, and a strip to the dashcam. They're designed to support picture frames and mirrors, and I've even used the heavier duty ones to support curtain rods with thermal curtains on them.

Odd that the 3M industrial double sided tape doesn't work though. Have you tried wiping the contact area down with a bit of isopropyl alcohol after cleaning, to ensure that there are no oils or residue on the glass before adding the tape? I'd wipe it down with a bit of alcohol, let it dry for a few minutes, then apply the tape.

In addition to the Isopropyl alcohol that sm1ke suggested, use a specific kind of 3M tape.

I use 3M, VHB tape. It will hold anything forever.

As you may have noticed, I live in southern Arizona. It gets very hot here if in direct sun. I use the above tape for both of my front cameras and rear cameras on my CX-5 and MX-5. The tape has never failed.

Again, make sure it is the 3M with a designation of "VHB". The actual acrylic double sided tape is Black in color with the usual red protective vinyl covering.

If you can't find it at your local hardware store, Lowes or Home Depot, order if from ebay. There are a lot of sellers on ebay. I keep several sizes in my garage at all times including 1/4", 1/2" and 1".

6Nh4oEV.jpg

JVC2M1L.jpg

Last edited:
The 3M Dual-Lock reclosable fastener tape works great - much more secure than Velcro if you'd like to be able to take the camera on & off for security reasons.

Back