2018 vs. 2019

NoCarFan

:
None
I am considering a lightly used 2018 (~4k miles) vs. new 2019 CX-9.

One of the changes Ive read about the 2019 models is a re-tuned suspension. However, I havent found any reviews which detail what this means, except for a CNET review who claimed that the 2019 had a softer, less-sporty suspension. The handling of the CX-9 is probably the primary point of attraction over competitors, so this is concerning. Anyone here have enough experience with the 2019 vs. 2016-2018 who could comment on the suspension changes?

Also, my family of 4 enjoys bicycling outdoors, and we have a Thule hitch-mounted, 4-bike rack. Obviously, Id have to get a hitch installed, but will the CX-9 have any issue with the weight? Anyone else with this setup have input on things to watch out for?

Apple CarPlay is also important, but Im still spooked about the performance of the Mazda Connect system. Initial reports on the 2019 models appeared to say that CarPlay performance was good, but some of the reports Im reading now (including on these forums) seem to indicate that its slow and glitchy. I recently rented a Chevy Equinox for several days, and I have to say that the Chevy system worked flawlessly (and fairly quickly) with CarPlay. Start up the car, plug in the phone (or vice versa), and CarPlay is up in a few seconds. It wasnt *instant*, but it was pretty quick. And absolutely zero performance issues when in operation. A $40k car with obvious electronic quirks (especially around CarPlay) isnt going to be a good experience.

Thanks in advance.

There's also the addition of ventilated seats.

I have AA/CP in my Mazda 6 and it works pretty well. Although I honestly just use Mazda Connect on a daily basis because I'm mainly just listening to XM radio. So I haven't felt it worth spending the $400 to upgrade the CX-9.

I am considering a lightly used 2018 (~4k miles) vs. new 2019 CX-9.

One of the changes I*ve read about the 2019 models is a re-tuned suspension. However, I haven*t found any reviews which detail what this means, except for a CNET review who claimed that the 2019 had a softer, less-sporty suspension. The handling of the CX-9 is probably the primary point of attraction over competitors, so this is concerning. Anyone here have enough experience with the 2019 vs. 2016-2018 who could comment on the suspension changes?

Also, my family of 4 enjoys bicycling outdoors, and we have a Thule hitch-mounted, 4-bike rack. Obviously, I*d have to get a hitch installed, but will the CX-9 have any issue with the weight? Anyone else with this setup have input on things to watch out for?

Apple CarPlay is also important, but I*m still spooked about the performance of the Mazda Connect system. Initial reports on the 2019 models appeared to say that CarPlay performance was good, but some of the reports I*m reading now (including on these forums) seem to indicate that it*s slow and glitchy. I recently rented a Chevy Equinox for several days, and I have to say that the Chevy system worked flawlessly (and fairly quickly) with CarPlay. Start up the car, plug in the phone (or vice versa), and CarPlay is up in a few seconds. It wasn*t *instant*, but it was pretty quick. And absolutely zero performance issues when in operation. A $40k car with obvious electronic quirks (especially around CarPlay) isn*t going to be a good experience.

Thanks in advance.

The 2019 and 2018 are basically identical except for the 360 camera, ventilated seats, folding mirrors and CarPlay. I highly recommend getting CarPlay installed as it is 100X better than the Mazda system (in regards to navigation).

We test drove the 2019 and the 2018 and honestly, there is no difference. The 2019 might be quieter but honestly, it sounds no different. The floor mats are thicker on the 2019 but if you use the rubber floor mats, these come out anyway.

I do wish I had a 360 camera. The front end of the CX-9 is huge and while the parking sensors are great, the camera would be helpful, even if it is a crappy quality. And yes, both the front and rear camera's are terrible.

For the hitch, don't let the Mazda dealer do it. Go to a hitch dealer and get one installed there (draw right or curt). It will be better and cheaper.

I use a 1UP rack to haul mountain bikes but most often use the 2-tray set-up.

IMG_6007.jpg

No problem with anything.

I have a '19 GT. I was mostly interested in the ventilated seats. I have found that they work well unlike the '19 RDX that I test drove.(hot climate here). I also wanted the factory integrated Android Auto but haven't used it yet. I knew that may be the case but thought it would help to 'future proof' the vehicle.

I've been surprised at how much I use and appreciate the 360 camera. Even though the quality is not great it comes in very handy. It's one of those things I'll now look for on my future vehicles.

It's a bit comical but for me the folding mirrors are most useful to confirm that the walk-away auto-lock has worked. As I'm leaving the vehicle I glance back to confirm that the mirrors are folded. If they are then the vehicle is locked. It's not often but here are situations in which the vehicle will not lock itself as expected (usually dealing with passengers). The mirrors make it very handy to visually confirm that the vehicle is locked. I'm very pleased to have them for that reason alone. :)

I had the same choice a few months ago. I opted for a slightly used (5000 miles) 2018 over the new 2019. It was about an 8k difference in price and other than the vented seats and the folding mirrors I felt there was not enough of a difference. I had the dealer install the AA/Carplay as part of the purchase and that is the single most important difference in my opinion and it is easily added in. While the 2019 has a cool LCD center gauge it is not that configurable so that also weighed in on my decision. Can't go wrong with either.

How about a CPO/lightly used 2019? This was the route I was going to take, but someone beat me to the car first (silver AWD GT, 7k miles, CPO, was listed for $37k). One search from Autotrader and they are beginning to pop up more and more.

As for Android Auto/CarPlay (I use Android), the only complaint I have is that it is slow (at least compared to VW's system). There have been instances where the car expects you to have the phone plugged in and it gets stuck on the "Resume USB connection" screen for a few minutes, before realizing that the phone is unplugged. Also, after having been connected to two phones, the car will attempt to connect the Bluetooth to the unconnected phone over and over again, but this issue seems to be not isolated to the Mazda and my brother's VW Golf does the same thing.

My mother drives a 2018 CX-5. I drove it once and loved it so when the time came to get a new car I went straight to Mazda for the 2019 model. The suspension is markedly different. The 2018 is smoother. The 2019 is so much firmer on small bumps and imperfections that I started digging on the internet for suspension changes between the years. I personally dont like it - theres no need to feel every nook and cranny of the road - its just uncomfortable. Im coming from a VW GTI which has a much sportier suspension but I didnt feel every bump in the road when driving calmly. I will try to let out some air from the tires in hopes that itll soften the ride.

Yup, mine was delivered with 50+ psi in the tires; definitely a big difference when lowered to the recommended 35 psi. Give it a try.

Yup, mine was delivered with 50+ psi in the tires; definitely a big difference when lowered to the recommended 35 psi. Give it a try.

Same here. All of my tires were overinflated, with pressures ranging from 45 psi to over 50 psi.

Wow just got out of work and checked the tire pressures...50+ PSI! All four of them! I reduced them all to 35 PSI and that made all the difference in the world. Thanks so much to those of you who said to check pressure. It was truly bothering me. Although now it makes me wonder why do so many people have such overinflated tires from the dealership??
(Just realized I posted in CX-9 thread /facepalm.)

Wow just got out of work and checked the tire pressures...50+ PSI! All four of them! I reduced them all to 35 PSI and that made all the difference in the world. Thanks so much to those of you who said to check pressure. It was truly bothering me. Although now it makes me wonder why do so many people have such overinflated tires from the dealership??
(Just realized I posted in CX-9 thread /facepalm.)

The dealership is supposed to do a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) before they hand you the keys. Depending on the technician who does the PDI, some things may be missed. It seems that a pretty common one is tire pressure, and I suspect that in some cases the tech overlooks it because they are used to doing PDIs on cars that come in via ground transport. Cars that come in via port have their tires overinflated to prevent flatspotting. I'm sure that most of the time though, the issue is just a lazy PDI tech.

Besides overinflated tires, they didn't fill the wiper fluid or install the wheel locking lug nuts either. Haven't brought it in for service yet but I am not very confident in their attention to details.

I had a 2017 CX9 signature (same as 2018) and now a 2019 CX9 GT.

No contest. 2019 re-tuned suspension and transmission are 100% better.

I had a 2017 CX9 signature (same as 2018) and now a 2019 CX9 GT.

No contest. 2019 re-tuned suspension and transmission are 100% better.

The transmission was retuned? In what way?

Are you saying the suspension on your 2019 is stiffer than your 2017? Also do you know if the trans is the same as my 2016 with just a software update or is it mechanically different?

My transmission in my 2019 shifts rough sometimes. It's not as smooth as the 2016 cx-3 and 2011 Mazda 3 that I had. I think this new transmission has some type of torque lockup that changes the way it reacts to pedal changes. It's very similar to my Mercedes GLK. I wouldn't call the cx9 transmission super smooth or anything. It's definitely good but not great. I feel the suspension is a little too stiff for my liking, but that's okay.

Back