Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

  1. #16
    Registered Member

    2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    107
    All oil changes since new have been dealer.Most times it's at the full mark or slightly below.I think the lowest was the factory fill at halfway between the marks.Also remember that oil expands when hot so in 5 qts there could be 1/4 qt or more higher level than cold.

  2. #17
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmaz View Post
    All oil changes since new have been dealer.Most times it's at the full mark or slightly below.I think the lowest was the factory fill at halfway between the marks.Also remember that oil expands when hot so in 5 qts there could be 1/4 qt or more higher level than cold.
    This is why I have always been good with a 5 quart jug.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 80k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

  3. #18
    Registered Member

    2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    107
    Agreed, when I change mine it'll be a 5 qt jug and call it good.No sense obsessing over oil level if it's in range.On previous 4 cylinders I've owned that held 4 qts total,a quart down was alot so I'd top off at 1/2 qt down.With a 5 qt capacity on an engine that doesn't use little if any oil, no sweat.

  4. #19
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,386

    Arrow For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmaz View Post
    All oil changes since new have been dealer.Most times it's at the full mark or slightly below.I think the lowest was the factory fill at halfway between the marks.Also remember that oil expands when hot so in 5 qts there could be 1/4 qt or more higher level than cold.
    This's totally against my experience. While engine oil may expand when hot, but the volume increase is very minimum comparing to some other fluid such as ATF. That's why we've seen the manufactures which always require the ATF temperature measurement while checking the ATF level as the volume would change significantly with temperature changes. But we've never seen any car manufactures which asks to check oil temperature while taking the oil level measurement. The oil level will always be a bit LOWER when engine is hot. The oil level is lower is because plenty of oil hasn't got drained back to the oil pan, and it has nothing to do with oil temperature. Making sure most oil drained back to oil pan is the key to measure the oil level, not the oil temperature. That's why I prefer to check oil level the first thing in the morning before the engine start and this's the preferred way since my first vehicle. Also with this way it's very easy to read the oil level on dipstick without the need to wipe the dipstick clean.

  5. #20
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    cape coral fl.
    Posts
    42
    Just changed last week 5 gts; just below top full mark & with a new dealer filter. jz.

  6. #21
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmaz View Post
    All oil changes since new have been dealer.Most times it's at the full mark or slightly below.I think the lowest was the factory fill at halfway between the marks.Also remember that oil expands when hot so in 5 qts there could be 1/4 qt or more higher level than cold.
    More like an 1/8 of a quart has been my observation, doesn't quite expand as much as ATF

  7. #22
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    This's totally against my experience. While engine oil may expand when hot, but the volume increase is very minimum comparing to some other fluid such as ATF. That's why we've seen the manufactures which always require the ATF temperature measurement while checking the ATF level as the volume would change significantly with temperature changes. But we've never seen any car manufactures which asks to check oil temperature while taking the oil level measurement. The oil level will always be a bit LOWER when engine is hot. The oil level is lower is because plenty of oil hasn't got drained back to the oil pan, and it has nothing to do with oil temperature. Making sure most oil drained back to oil pan is the key to measure the oil level, not the oil temperature. That's why I prefer to check oil level the first thing in the morning before the engine start and this's the preferred way since my first vehicle. Also with this way it's very easy to read the oil level on dipstick without the need to wipe the dipstick clean.
    From the 2016 owners manual
    "Inspecting Engine Oil Level
    1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level
    surface.
    2. Warm up the engine to normal
    operating temperature.

    3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes
    for the oil to return to the oil pan. "

    You always get this wrong.

  8. #23
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,386

    Arrow For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

    Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    From the 2016 owners manual
    "Inspecting Engine Oil Level
    1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface.
    2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
    3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan."

    You always get this wrong.
    When checking the oil level measurement, Mazda is the only one I've seen says "warm up the engine to normal operating temperature". But we still don't see it specify a temperature like checking the ATF level at 122F for Mazda's SkyActiv-Drive or 125F for VW's TipTronic Automatic. Like you said, engine oil doesn't quite expand as much as ATF when its temperature is getting warmer. And oil temperature is not that important but how much oil got drained back to the oil pan is more important to measure the oil level. IMO step #3 is more important to measure the oil level, and mentioned by every car manufacture when it outlines the oil checking procedure. Based on the wording from step #3, Mazda says "wait at least 5 minutes" but doesn't say you have to wait NOT more than 10 minutes or to wait NOT until the engine is getting too cold. In theory we can wait overnight and check the oil level the first thing in the morning like I always recommended, which definitely doesn't against Mazda's oil checking procedure.

    There's an easy to verify. Just check the oil level 5 minutes after the engine is fully warmed up, then compare the oil level you measured the first thing in the morning before you start the engine when most oil has drained back to the oil pan, and tell me if the oil level when warm is really or ⅛ quarts higher?

  9. #24
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,138
    This is really getting out of hand. The dipstick states a min and max level. Oil temp and volume, exact capacities down to the 1/4 quart or whatever, it's just not important if the oil measures between the min and max marks. You're creating your own insecurities by filling to the max level and expecting to drain and refill the exact same amount to get to the max line every time. Get the oil level somewhere halfway between the min and max marks and be done with it. Your engine won't be any more worse for wear if you fill to 1-2cm below the max line, I promise.

  10. #25
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    This is really getting out of hand. The dipstick states a min and max level. Oil temp and volume, exact capacities down to the 1/4 quart or whatever, it's just not important if the oil measures between the min and max marks. You're creating your own insecurities by filling to the max level and expecting to drain and refill the exact same amount to get to the max line every time. Get the oil level somewhere halfway between the min and max marks and be done with it. Your engine won't be any more worse for wear if you fill to 1-2cm below the max line, I promise.
    This. As long as you are not going below the minimum line or losing oil excessively, nothing to sweat about.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  11. #26
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,346
    I just like teasing yrwei52. He always gets riled up on this subject...but, yeah, if you're at least above half then you're golden.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Dealer says you never change oil on the PTU?
    By Toller in forum CX-9 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2016, 10:31 PM
  2. Dealer oil change goes bad...
    By JoeSakic19 in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
  3. Oil Change Not By Dealer
    By marciano in forum Mazda CX-7
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 09:39 AM
  4. $46 dealer oil change WTF ????
    By MarkSpecV/M3S in forum Mazda3 Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 12:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •