For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

All oil changes since new have been dealer.Most times it's at the full mark or slightly below.I think the lowest was the factory fill at halfway between the marks.Also remember that oil expands when hot so in 5 qts there could be 1/4 qt or more higher level than cold.

More like an 1/8 of a quart has been my observation, doesn't quite expand as much as ATF

This's totally against my experience. While engine oil may expand when hot, but the volume increase is very minimum comparing to some other fluid such as ATF. That's why we've seen the manufactures which always require the ATF temperature measurement while checking the ATF level as the volume would change significantly with temperature changes. But we've never seen any car manufactures which asks to check oil temperature while taking the oil level measurement. The oil level will always be a bit LOWER when engine is hot. The oil level is lower is because plenty of oil hasn't got drained back to the oil pan, and it has nothing to do with oil temperature. Making sure most oil drained back to oil pan is the key to measure the oil level, not the oil temperature. That's why I prefer to check oil level the first thing in the morning before the engine start and this's the preferred way since my first vehicle. Also with this way it's very easy to read the oil level on dipstick without the need to wipe the dipstick clean.

From the 2016 owners manual
"Inspecting Engine Oil Level
1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level
surface.
2. Warm up the engine to normal
operating temperature.

3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes
for the oil to return to the oil pan. "

You always get this wrong.

From the 2016 owners manual
"Inspecting Engine Oil Level
1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan."

You always get this wrong.
When checking the oil level measurement, Mazda is the only one I've seen says "warm up the engine to normal operating temperature". But we still don't see it specify a temperature like checking the ATF level at 122F for Mazda's SkyActiv-Drive or 125F for VW's TipTronic Automatic. Like you said, engine oil doesn't quite expand as much as ATF when its temperature is getting warmer. And oil temperature is not that important but how much oil got drained back to the oil pan is more important to measure the oil level. IMO step #3 is more important to measure the oil level, and mentioned by every car manufacture when it outlines the oil checking procedure. Based on the wording from step #3, Mazda says "wait at least 5 minutes" but doesn't say you have to wait NOT more than 10 minutes or to wait NOT until the engine is getting too cold. In theory we can wait overnight and check the oil level the first thing in the morning like I always recommended, which definitely doesn't against Mazda's oil checking procedure.

There's an easy to verify. Just check the oil level 5 minutes after the engine is fully warmed up, then compare the oil level you measured the first thing in the morning before you start the engine when most oil has drained back to the oil pan, and tell me if the oil level when warm is really or ⅛ quarts higher?

This is really getting out of hand. The dipstick states a min and max level. Oil temp and volume, exact capacities down to the 1/4 quart or whatever, it's just not important if the oil measures between the min and max marks. You're creating your own insecurities by filling to the max level and expecting to drain and refill the exact same amount to get to the max line every time. Get the oil level somewhere halfway between the min and max marks and be done with it. Your engine won't be any more worse for wear if you fill to 1-2cm below the max line, I promise.

This is really getting out of hand. The dipstick states a min and max level. Oil temp and volume, exact capacities down to the 1/4 quart or whatever, it's just not important if the oil measures between the min and max marks. You're creating your own insecurities by filling to the max level and expecting to drain and refill the exact same amount to get to the max line every time. Get the oil level somewhere halfway between the min and max marks and be done with it. Your engine won't be any more worse for wear if you fill to 1-2cm below the max line, I promise.
This. As long as you are not going below the minimum line or losing oil excessively, nothing to sweat about.

I just like teasing yrwei52. He always gets riled up on this subject...but, yeah, if you're at least above half then you're golden.

First oil change I paid for in at least 35 years. I couldnt figure out where to place the floor jack. I have since bought ramps. Dealer over filled just past the max line, about a third of the distance between min and max. Got that? Disappointed they used a Value Line filter. I used a genuine Mazda filter made in Thailand. I just changed it myself yesterday. Measured 4.5 liters per the book. Added the rest of the 5 quart jug to bring it up to the max line. I get not getting anal over filling to the max line but I wanted a reference line. I didnt expect to use the whole jug. Zepro 0W-20 advanced moly.

First oil change I paid for in at least 35 years. I couldn*t figure out where to place the floor jack. I have since bought ramps. Dealer over filled just past the max line, about a third of the distance between min and max. Got that? Disappointed they used a Value Line filter. I used a genuine Mazda filter made in Thailand. I just changed it myself yesterday. Measured 4.5 liters per the book. Added the rest of the 5 quart jug to bring it up to the max line. I get not getting anal over filling to the max line but I wanted a reference line. I didn*t expect to use the whole jug. Zepro 0W-20 advanced moly.
For the 2.5L NA, usually takes more than 5 quarts hence where some like Yrwei get anal about grabbing a 6th quart and topping it up to max, whereas most of us are fine with the 5 quarts and call it good enough.

Edit: Talking about Gen 1's anyway.

Last edited:
Typically the middle between the max and min line is the optimal level to spec.

Min is actually a little below, but acceptable.

Max is actually a little above, but acceptable.

As mentioned anywhere in between is OK. The only time going right up to max may help is if you're consuming oil at a decent rate so that you stay in ideal range longer. At that point you have bigger problems though.

Just added what was left of the 5 quart jug, about 250cc, and didn't quite get to the max mark. Rather be closer to max than min. Close enough. Apparently the dipstick allows for a little overfill.

Back