Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

If you had the dealership change your oil, would you check your dipstick? Did the dealerships fill your car to the full mark? Or did they fill it to be in the middle of low and full? Thanks in advance

Donated: $5

full mark

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Full is correct. 1/2 way between full and add is not acceptable. Check on level ground after a 5+ minute shutdown. This is my opinion because I do my own. Ed
    Last edited by erhayes; 04-07-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added comment

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    If you had the dealership change your oil, would you check your dipstick? Did the dealerships fill your car to the full mark? Or did they fill it to be in the middle of low and full? Thanks in advance
    I do all oil changes by myself unless there's the free maintenance comes with the new car offered by manufacture. Based on reports of others this depends on too many factors. But over-fill after the oil change by dealers seems to be a common thing. So I'd check dipstick and verify the oil level after any oil change by a dealership.

Just did the first oil change on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA / Mazda2 from Toyota's 2-year free maintenance program which comes with every new Toyota vehicle. For sure the Toyota dealer I went over-filled the oil by at least ⅓ quart. I checked the oil level because the invoice states the tech requested 5 quart-bottles of Toyota Genuine 0W-20 full-synthetic oil, but the spec from owner's manual says oil change quantity is 4.5 quarts. I went back to Toyota dealer and talked to the tech who did the oil change、saved factory Mazda Japanese oil filter、and collected sample for me from factory oil. He said he followed the Toyota factory guideline, and it says 4.6 quarts. I asked him to give me back the rest of 0.4 quart Toyota oil, he said he'd already used it in other vehicle. But he said he can save the leftover oil and give it back to me next time I come in for free maintenance as long as I request it in advance. We'll see.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    Full is correct. 1/2 way between full and add is not acceptable. Check on level ground after a 5+ minute shutdown. This is my opinion because I do my own. Ed
    Do you have to add more than 5 qrts to get it to the max line?
    Every single time I've done it, 5 qrts puts me exactly in the middle of the low and Max lines so that's where I leave it.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

Common experience shows that 5qrts is not enough to get to the max mark.
    On my last change I put all the 5 bottles and it sits a little bit above the middle on the oil dipstick.
    Dealers usually use bulk oil so I assume they get it to the max or above.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

a 5 quart jug gets me to within ~ 1/8 inch below the max line which I accept as good. Ed

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

I do my own. Having the 2.0 L with only like 4.4-4.5 quart capacity, I worry that they’ll overfill with 5 quarts with so many 2.5L CX-5’s out there now

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_R View Post
    Do you have to add more than 5 qrts to get it to the max line?
    Every single time I've done it, 5 qrts puts me exactly in the middle of the low and Max lines so that's where I leave it.
    Yes, more than 5 Qts on the 2.5L NA to get to full dot. I think 5 qts. gets it close enough personally.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 80k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Changed my oil and my oil pan...this is where they put it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

^ facepalm

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow For those who had the dealer change your oil, where on the dipstick does it show?

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Changed my oil and my oil pan...this is where they put it.

I wonder why there’re so many oil over-filled stories by dealer’s oil change. Is it because they believe customers tend to be happier when they see more oil given by the dealer (the more, the better)?

BTW, have you noticed any oil capacity difference after you received new and revised oil pan?

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I wonder why there*re so many oil over-filled stories by dealer*s oil change. Is it because they believe customers tend to be happier when they see more oil given by the dealer (the more, the better)?

BTW, have you noticed any oil capacity difference after you received new and revised oil pan?
    They were genuinely surprised when I complained about it, deer in the headlights kind of look, so apparently they don't don't get this complaint. They asked me if it was a hot level or cold level, my reply was that it didn't matter because it was way overfilled. Yes capacity seems to be more as I've commented in other threads. Used to be a tad under 5 quarts would put me at the fill line, now it takes more.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

I notice when I use 5 quarts...yes 5 quarts of oil into 2.5l engine but with oil filter filled up the level is low-to-middle.

No oil into filter and its between middle to max.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    I notice when I use 5 quarts...yes 5 quarts of oil into 2.5l engine but with oil filter filled up the level is low-to-middle.

No oil into filter and its between middle to max.
    When mine was filled up, my 2015, I always brought them 5 quarts of oil. With a filter change, it was always a bit above the top hole on the dipstick. Like I said...these sticks and pans and whatever vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast