PCB's Unbuild Thread

My socket arrived today and I gave it a try.

It's only a 1/2" drive socket so I had to use my breaker bar. It wasn't working so I put a 4' pipe on it and the breaker bar was bending and about ready to explode, so I decided to go buy a 3/4"- 1/2" downsizer adapter so I could use my 3/4" drive ratchet handle.

That worked for about ten seconds and I twisted the 1/2" square right off the adapter.
**** !!

I took the adapter back for a refund but they only have a replacement policy so I got a new one.

Then I asked the guy in the service department for help and he came out with a 1/2" breaker bar then got a pipe to extend it and then said "Nope" and asked me if I have a grinder.
He also said that as soon as the bearing is over torqued it's wrecked.
**** !!

So I went back home and ordered this.

So we'll see what happens when it arrives.

I'm going to go bang my head against the wall for a while now. lol

Just a thought, buy a replacement hub nut and cut the old nut off with a grinder and a chisel perhaps?

Second option would be to go to a shop and see if they can undo the nut, possibly using some heat with an oxy to expand the nut a little?

(dunno)

I have two new hub nuts coming and if the new 3/4"-1/2" adaptor doesn't work for me, I'll get the grinder out.

I was thinking about putting some flame to it but I'm clinging to hope that I can salvage the bearing so I don't want to over heat it.

Damn man your car is really giving you hell right now huh? Well hopefully the new adapter will hold up and you won't have to torch it, good luck man.

I don't blame the car.
I take full responsibilty for being a dumb ass.

I was pushing down with all my weight at almost 4 feet from the nut with an extender bar.

I've probably got over 600 ft/lbs of torque on it.
Duhhh.

Last edited:
Speaking of deliveries, my parts are almost here,

If that doesn't work, I've got this...

Son Of A b****!!

And, .. I have no idea why the hell I didn't buy a 3/4" drive socket instead of a 1/2" drive??

Wow... I feel really stupid right now.

I was thinking of buying a 3/4" drive socket now but I'm gonna go at it with the grinder.

wouldn't have happened if you used a raw potato as anti-seize.

Yea, I forgot that part. lol

I changed my mind.
I've got to wait till Aug 13th anyway for my axle nuts so I bought yet another socket.

I'm afraid of cutting into the axle and hub with my grinder so I'm going to give another socket a try.

Last edited:
Actually, speaking of potatoes...

Apparently, you can cut a raw potato in half and rub it on your windshield to get rid of the watermarks that don't wash off.

I've never tried it but if it doesn't work, it only costs you potato.

Son Of A b****!!

And, .. I have no idea why the hell I didn't buy a 3/4" drive socket instead of a 1/2" drive??

I Remember Now!!

It's because the 1/2" drive socket was $8.99 and the 3/4" drive was $27, so I thought I'd save some money and go with the 1/2" and save a bunch of money!!

That decision cost me ~$70.
Now I'm starting over with a new socket.

Wish me luck! lol

Last edited:
The 3/4" doesn't look that much bigger than the1/2" but it's got more than two times the cross-section and more than three times the volume.

I think my new socket will work!!

My socket and ratchet should be fine but I might break when everything goes to s***. lol

Back