My new work car. 1989 MX-6 80,000 miles

:
2013 Mazda CX-5, 2.0 Manual Transmission, 1989 Mazda MX-6
Seems to run perfect. It will need a lot of maintenance work, all fluids changed, timing belt kit, outer axle boots torn. But the biggest problem I found is mice that made it their home. The elderly woman that owned it drove about 1,000 miles in the last 10 years.
So I first found a nest in the air cleaner. Not much of an issue, but I removed the HVAC fan because of noise, and found a nest clogging it. So I will be pulling out the dash and doing a thorough cleaning.
I will be doing all the work myself so it won't be expensive, just time consuming.

Attachments

• IMG_4663.JPG
    IMG_4663.JPG
    847.1 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_4664.JPG
    IMG_4664.JPG
    799.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Wow that is an awesome find. The exterior looks to be in pretty good shape at least!

Wow. I love seeing threads like this. It's hard to find older cars in such good condition.

I am still putting things back together, but finally pulled the dash and cleaned the duct work. The main clog (from the mouse nest debris) was at the A/C evaporator coil. Now all clean. The fan blows strong now and heat and A/C (r12) still work.

Attachments

• IMG_4742 2.jpg
    IMG_4742 2.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_4744 2.jpg
    IMG_4744 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 281
Another update of my mx-6
Turns out the cv joint boots are not torn so don't have to worry about it. So I am just about done with this car. Its now a reliable daily driver.
Here is what I did
1. Alternator. Mazda does not sell it anymore. So went to rock auto and got a denso. Which is basically the original Mitsubishi alternator rebuilt in Japan by Denso. So I confident in that part.
2. Replaced water pump, timing belt, thermostat, all coolant hoses, spark plugs, and wires (both NGK).
3. Changed transmission fluid. Still have to get to the power steering fluid change.
4. Did a rear brake drum to disc conversion. Found a Ford Probe LX with a V6 at the U pull it. Pulled them during the half price weekend.
5. Front brake pads and disc turned.
6. Clutch master and slave replaced. Brake and clutch lines have clean fluid. They looked like coffee when I got it.

Cosmetically.
I cleaned up the wheels and painted the center caps. ( the paint was gone and just had the yellow plastic )
Added a red pinstripe tape to the black molding all around the car. There is a grove in it where it fits perfect.

And trying to get my Polk component Mobile Monitors on the rear deck, Crutchfield website said the fit. But the torsen spring for the trunk lid is in the way. So figuring out a way to remove the springs and put in lift support dampers.

Attachments

• IMG_4889.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4886.JPG
    657.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Mx6 red stripe.JPG
    Mx6 red stripe.JPG
    806.9 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I wouldn't say Mazda stepped up their game. They have always made great cars. I like driving my 30 year old mx-6 more than driving the cx-5. So much so I sold the cx-5.
As far as reliability I drove my 1990 626 to almost 400,000 miles before I gave it to a friend. And it was still running great.

Back