Does your Android Auto Port Actually Charge Your Phone?

:
2019 CX-5 Touring
I just upgraded to a 2019 Cx-5 from my 2014. The Android Auto USB port doesn't charge my Honor 8 phone, it just keeps it at the same battery percentage +/- 1 percent over an hour of being plugged in. The other port right next to the Android Auto port charges my phone about as fast as a wall charger and so do the two in the backseat.

Does your port actually charge your phone?

Galaxy S10 seems to charge at a reasonable rate. I used to have an iPhone XR, and that also seemed to charge just fine. Maybe just a tad bit slower than a wall charger.

I suggest trying a different cable just to cover all bases. The Anker cables on Amazon work great

Galaxy S10 seems to charge at a reasonable rate. I used to have an iPhone XR, and that also seemed to charge just fine. Maybe just a tad bit slower than a wall charger.

I suggest trying a different cable just to cover all bases. The Anker cables on Amazon work great

Huh, thanks for the info. I have tried a couple Anker cables and several other brands, though none of them were new.
I'm suspecting it's a problem with my phone. I'll have to find someone with a phone that also uses USB-C cables so I can see if it changes with their phone and cable.

Over the course of an hour-long drive, the android auto port will charge my phone (OnePlus 5) from 20% to 90%. Using an Anker cable.

I had this issue in a previous car with Android auto and there was a runaway app in the background consuming copious amounts of power. Frustrating to no end. The phone also got pretty dang hot when plugged in, trying to charge and running android auto at the time.

Haven't had the issue since, thankfully. I can't remember if I factory reset my phone or found the app and got rid of it.

My S8 charges a good amount between home and work, about an hr + or -. Enough that I'm not worried about my charge state for the day if I get into the car with ~20% remaining.

Motorola phones with usb-c here, and charges quite welll. If you have AA running and battery isn*t goig down, then phone is charging. As mentioned above, some app is likely draining.

I just upgraded to a 2019 Cx-5 from my 2014. The Android Auto USB port doesn't charge my Honor 8 phone, it just keeps it at the same battery percentage +/- 1 percent over an hour of being plugged in. The other port right next to the Android Auto port charges my phone about as fast as a wall charger and so do the two in the backseat.

Does your port actually charge your phone?

My experience with upgrading to CarPlay/AA myself on a 2018 GT is that the connection might be affected when using a third-party/cheap cable. This can be resolved by either using cable provided by OEM or higher third-party ones (like ones from Anker)

On the other note, have you ever perform a reset after you upgraded to CarPlay/AA? In my case I have issue with connection to AA right after the update and reset resolved it for me. Might be worth giving it a try.

Last edited:
Download and run the free app called Ampere. It will tell you real time the net rate at which your phone is charging (or discharging) and you can compare it plugged in to different ports, cables, or not at all. You can kill an app or reboot to see if it makes a difference.

I'm encountering similar issue. I've just upgraded my 2016 cx5 gt to Mazda AA/CP module and have noticed that battery on phone ( Samsung galaxy s9 +) is not being charged at greater speed that previous usb hub ( it might even be slower ).
I've heard that new module should produce 2.1 AMP , but when runing AA it only produces 200- 500 mA . I've tried many different cables and cant seem to figure it out. Are there possible fake modules ? I've purchased it off eBay from reputable seller ( 100+ units sold )

Yes the are some chinese sellers on ebay which started to appear late last year. Their price is lower around 125 usd.
How much did you pay?
Cheapest genuine on ebay that I know is from a Mazda dealer in Alabama for about 148usd.
Anything lower, I would not trust.

Regarding a genuine module,
yes it charges up to 2A.
I've noticed some usb-c cables need to be rotated, the plug actually. Even though it shouldnt matter ..but it does make a difference.

To rule out the cable, I always test with the oem cable that came with the phone charger.

I got and installed the hub 2 months ago. Purchased from a local dealer
Works perfect, charge is fast as well. Even too fast for my need :)

Last edited:
Back