2016-2019 mud flaps installation

peterpigeon

:
Mazda, Cx-9 gs
Fronts are straightforward. For the rears you have to cut away a portion of the stock plastic to access the holes for the nut clips behind (you'd see it). What I found out is that removing more clips and bolts made it easier such that the stock plastic can be moved out of the way more, as opposed to what the instructions said.

The CX-9. You have to cut out a section of the OEM fender liner. You'd see it when you try installing it, and you'd know where and how much to cut.

The CX-9. You have to cut out a section of the OEM fender liner. You'd see it when you try installing it, and you'd know where and how much to cut.

I agree with azuzu. Once I began the install process it became clear where I needed to do the trimming. It is not difficult, just take your time and don't cut until you understand where things will attach.

Just installed mine today, front and rear. Front is easy. The rear needs cutting on the fender liner (2 rectangle shapes on each side) as azuzu said. I didn't cut anything on the splash guards though the manual says to cut something. I hope it will be fine. One more thing, just be careful with the u-nut clip coz I just over tightened one and broke.

I just ordered the Mazda splash guards. Looking at the instructions now. I see where the rears need the fender liner to be cut, but the instructions for the fronts also say that something has to be cut. Is that the case? From what I've read above, some have installed the fronts and not had to cut anything. Thanks.

You have to cut a tab IIRC for the fronts. You'd see it once you try installing it.

You have to cut a tab IIRC for the fronts. You'd see it once you try installing it.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot this weekend. Oh, and does it require removing the tires? Probably easier if tires are off but not sure it's necessary(?).

I completed the OEM mud flap install today. Fronts were super easy. Just follow instructions exactly. Rears were a little more tricky. Really had to contemplate on where to cut the holes in the fender liner. So, I took a picture for future posterity. This is with the holes cut and the nut clips installed. The easiest way was to align the mud flap on the fender liner and mark the holes with a fat sharpie. Then cut the rectangles around the holes. Worked perfectly. Let me know if you need any further details.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks much for the pics, very helpful. Just completed this yesterday, they look great, As you mention, the fronts were a piece of cake; the backs were a real PITA. No idea why Mazda just didn't put rivets there where the holes are beneath the liner.

Back