P0401

:
mazda5 GT 2009
P0401 and P2177

My 2009 5 GT with 117K+ miles just indicated Cel P0401 EGR flow insufficient. Is this likely a simple replacement job? I usually buy the part online and go to my mechanic to have it installed. Whatbrands are good to use or is it important to use OEM for this one? Thanks

Last edited:
I ended having to replace the EGR valve as recommended by mechanic. Code was cleared. Car runs fine except after about 150 miles I now have a new CEL P2177. Could this be related or is this a new issue?

I ended having to replace the EGR valve as recommended by mechanic. Code was cleared. Car runs fine except after about 150 miles I now have a new CEL P2177. Could this be related or is this a new issue?

System Too Lean Off Idle Bank 1 is what your code is now. You could easily have had multiple issues but unrelated.
Try this first, buy a can of MAF cleaner, and clean your MAF before you do any more.
If you have a scanner, check the freeze frame and see when this code is being thrown out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXW4PM_UjSs vid is for Mazda 3, but should be close enough. Don't use brake cleaner, get the mode expensive MAF cleaner.

So I tried cleaning the MAF sensor but ended having to replace it. Thi was actually the 2nd time Ive replaced it. My previous MAF sensor was actually a Denso that was put in about 2 years ago at the same time my M5s throttle body was cleaned. This was done to clear another CEL. This time I spent the money and went with OEM . So far no more CEL after driving 200+ miles.

Back