VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanity Check for P0171

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    i got an empty slot for one last gauge. maybe it should be a fuel pressure gauge.

I'm thinking if you've got a new fuel filter and a high performance fuel pump you shouldn't need to worry about fuel pressure.

If I could have one gauge I'd probably pick an engine coolant temp gauge.
    Our stock dummy gauge never goes beyond the halfway mark so I'm not in the habit of looking at it.
    If I overheat I might not check it till I see steam from under the hood.
    (did that on my GLC... warped my head)

Sad part is I have an OBDII scanner that could set off an alarm if I go beyond a set temperature but I haven't bothered to glue my cellphone to my dash.

The next gauge I might get is an oil pressure gauge.
    The stock sensor doesn't trip the oil light until the pressure is between 2-4 PSI.
    That might be enough pressure if you're idling but not of your racing, especially if you're sucking bubbles from your sump at high speed and high RPMS.
    Last edited by pcb; 04-05-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

lolmsp

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    I'm thinking if you've got a new fuel filter and a high performance fuel pump you shouldn't need to worry about fuel pressure.

If I could have one gauge I'd probably pick an engine coolant temp gauge.
    Our stock dummy gauge never goes beyond the halfway mark so I'm not in the habit of looking at it.
    If I overheat I might not check it till I see steam from under the hood.
    (did that on my GLC... warped my head)

Sad part is I have an OBDII scanner that could set off an alarm if I go beyond a set temperature but I haven't bothered to glue my cellphone to my dash.

The next gauge I might get is an oil pressure gauge.
    The stock sensor doesn't trip the oil light until the pressure is between 2-4 PSI.
    That might be enough pressure if you're idling but not of your racing, especially if you're sucking bubbles from your sump at high speed and high RPMS.
    fuel system is still the original. my mechanic friend said leave it alone if it isn't showing problems. gauges i got so far are boost/vac, wideband, oil temp, oil pressure, and a slot for one more.
    03 MSP, 03 P5

2002 mazda protege 5

fuel system is still the original. my mechanic friend said leave it alone if it isn't showing problems..
    I guess that makes sense. But if you wait for problems, you're probably going to have to replace your fuel pump too.

I'm on my original fuel pump swapped into my new high pressure fuel filter.

Fuel pumps can be expensive.

Last edited by pcb; 04-05-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

This is what my filter media looked like after 15 years. (I cut open my old filter).
    I think it used to be white ?

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

The people in Chile take the best care of their cars.
    Every two years.

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Yo PCB, don't digress yet!

After driving around today, believe it or not, P0171 came back on (after I drove it hard for a somewhat extended period of time--was in a cruise). Only thing is, my STFT stayed where it should the whole time and never jumped above 10% or so. It appeared that my LTFT was bouncing from 2.3 to 25%, so clearly some issue is still afoot. When I was done driving hard and gently drove the thing home, no codes came on, and I had nominal levels.

Looks like my fueling system is indeed part of the problem!
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX 4-1 Headers ■ MP3 ECU ■ VTCS-less Intake Manifold ■ Mishimoto Aluminum Racing Radiator + Fan Shroud
    ■ AWR Trailing Arms

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    I got some readings regarding my fuel trim, and it's not looking good. I only collected data while driving around, and not stationary.

STFT was bouncing all around, but only rose above 8% at very low engine speeds (around 1.5krpms and lower, I believe). LTFT stayed at 25% (overwhelmingly lean trend). STFT had "normal" readings above 1.5-2kRPM readings, which ultimately points at a vacuum leak of some kind, and not necessarily a fueling issue.

At least, it's been narrowed down, but damn I msy habe to rip open my IM again...

(Note: will analyze this at stamdstill later)
    I was wondering what kind of readings would be expected if it was a fueling issue ??

2002 Mazda Protege5

A fueling issue from P0171 is a little less cut-and-dry. If your STFT is overall lean, and your STFT doesn't drop with the throttle being held at 1.5kRPM and 2kRPM (while LTFT remains high), then it could be one of several fueling components. You're then looking at your FPR, injectors, and fuel sending unit.

Even then, it could even be a misfire that didn't trip the misfire code yet, or spark plugs on their way out.

Vacuum leaks are somewhat simpler to diagnose given the noise they make and their impact on STFT and LTFT.

2002 mazda protege 5

OK thanks.

Now all I have to do is remember that.

Maybe I'll cut and paste it to my thread. lol

Registered Member

lolmsp

sweet. Riot you can come diagnose mine now lol. jk

2002 mazda protege 5

Let Me Fix It Boss !

https://youtu.be/WAiHyioDzTg

Lol

Last edited by pcb; 04-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.

2002 Mazda Protege5

sweet. Riot you can come diagnose mine now lol. jk
    Would if I could to help :^)

What's up with it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12