Taking North American CX-5 to Europe

:
2017 CX-5 GT/Tech
I am in the process of packing up my family and migrating to Europe in the next year or so (specifically Hungary)

I have a 2017 GT, and I do believe the same 2.5L motor is available there but not sure if the emissions standards from NA are the Same as EU.
Has anyone moved an NA CX-5 to another country?

And if anyone wondering why, the CX-5 there is ridiculously expensive (GT equipped CX-5 is around 13,000,000 HUF roughly 60,000 Canadian $)

Thoughts/Advice?

The emissions would be checked in the country where you register the car, If you wont drive it with the usa plates.
It should be ok with the 2017 GT unless you have removed the cat which I doubt you have. You may have to pay import duty and vat on the imported price of the car, although if you are moving permanently I think there were some options for some of taxes to not apply.
Check with a company which would ship the car, they usually have experience and also some have affiliatea gents on the other side to assist.
You need the title on your name most of the time - i.e. car paid off. Plus a bunch of othe papers. Do note that shipping and taxes may increase your total cost.
Sometimes its easier to buy used car in Europe although I agree the newer mazdas are seriously overpriced there.

EU would have stricter standards than NA. In all areas whether its emissions or Food and Drug Admin EU is way way ahead / stricter than US agencies. So chances are you will have to modify your car else it wont pass EU restrictions. Plus EU opens up some new car brands as well - seems like Volvos are comparable to Mazdas in price.

EU would have stricter standards than NA. In all areas whether its emissions or Food and Drug Admin EU is way way ahead / stricter than US agencies. So chances are you will have to modify your car else it wont pass EU restrictions. Plus EU opens up some new car brands as well - seems like Volvos are comparable to Mazdas in price.

So the stricter EU emissions regs are the reason Mazda and most others can't get a diesel engine approved for North America? And the reason VW thought they had to cheat to pass the test and still get the performance and mileage we expect?

Thanks guys for the feedback. I am going to speak with a professional importer in the summer and pop by a Mazda dealership while I'm there on vacation.
It's crazy that I can get a volvo S90 for around the same price as a new CX-5 over there (dunno)

boandlkramer here has experience shipping his US CX-5 to Germany form Colorado. May be you can PM him finding out more information.

Back