Gas cap warning light

:
Mazda CX-5
I'm about to replace the gas cap for my wife's 2014 CX-5 as the notification light comes on from time to time. I've been able to tighten the cap down in the past, and it has caused the light to turn off. I am curious, however, if there is anything else that would cause the light to go off, ie. vacuum leaks. I did a carbon cleaning a couple months ago, and I'm now wondering if I damaged any of the hoses in the removal of intake manifold.

Any help appreciated.

Clean the cap and surface it seals against with an alcohol or other solvent. I'd also check the hose connections that go to the filler pipe. Ed

Clean the cap and surface it seals against with an alcohol or other solvent. I'd also check the hose connections that go to the filler pipe. Ed

Did that last night. My wife mentioned that the light is still on. The new cap should be arriving tomorrow, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Do you know what has been involved in this carbon clean procedure?

Yeah, I actually did it myself. Intake manifold pulled off, scrub the valves, etc. Re-install. Thinking further on it, I don't think a vacuum leak anywhere near the manifold would lead to the same code as the gas cap.

After you clean up the gas cap surfaces it take xx restarts and running to have the light go off. My experience with my 2014 CX5 Touring. Ed

Intake manifold pulled off, scrub the valves, etc. Re-install. Thinking further on it, I don't think a vacuum leak anywhere near the manifold would lead to the same code as the gas cap.
New gasket, right?
These codes are pesky sometimes, being interlaced...

New gasket, right?
These codes are pesky sometimes, being interlaced...

Yes. It was also done about 5k miles ago. Replaced the gaskets, PCV valve and hose attached to it, spark plugs, etc. I'll double check all the hoses. I get the new gas cap in today, and will probably manually reset the code in order to see what happens.

Weird, but I don't always get email notifications on these responses. It's hit or miss.

Yes. It was also done about 5k miles ago. Replaced the gaskets, PCV valve and hose attached to it, spark plugs, etc. I'll double check all the hoses. I get the new gas cap in today, and will probably manually reset the code in order to see what happens.

Weird, but I don't always get email notifications on these responses. It's hit or miss.

It depends on which code it is.. there are 2 or 3 different Evap system codes related to the fuel/fuel tank/vacuum system. Different codes indicates and precludes different causes. You need to pull the code, and reference the workshop manual.. with google, it won't give you the vehicle specific information you need. I just had this same issue, which may have been the gas cap, but it also could have been a fluke because of what I was doing with the throttle and downshift when it popped. Also the manual in plain English talks about those specific evap codes so there isn't any guessing around. PM me an email and I can send you a copy

It depends on which code it is.. there are 2 or 3 different Evap system codes related to the fuel/fuel tank/vacuum system. Different codes indicates and precludes different causes. You need to pull the code, and reference the workshop manual.. with google, it won't give you the vehicle specific information you need. I just had this same issue, which may have been the gas cap, but it also could have been a fluke because of what I was doing with the throttle and downshift when it popped. Also the manual in plain English talks about those specific evap codes so there isn't any guessing around. PM me an email and I can send you a copy

Nice, got an email notification this time around. Replaced cap with new OEM one, and manually reset the code. It hasn't come back on in a couple weeks, so I think I'm good.

Back