Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead Pedal / Sport Pedals

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

yes and you have to cut your carpet to attach the foot rest.. thats unacceptable for oem to me
    some of mazdas oem accessories require modifications to the car. To me its a shame they dont offer it out of the box in the higher trims.

Registered Member

2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring

Southern Arizona (40 Miles south of Tucson)
    Quote Originally Posted by alphadog00 View Post
    Many of the Aftermarket were trying to hard to add a logo, so I didn't care for that. Especially a speed logo in a non-speed car. But the OEM are just made better. The gas and dead pedal attach with screws, the metal is nice and thick, and the circle pattern on the pedals is uniform. Yes, they are expensive, but they fit correctly, will never slide or come off, and will never wear out. Personally i think they look nicer, and they grip your shoes when they are supposed too.

And at a glance i can spot the difference between OEM and aftermarket. Some aftermarket stuff is junk, and I don't want to replace it every 2 years.
    You must be awfully hard on your vehicles if you think you can wear them out in 2 years. Especially the after-market ones many of us have gotten.

They are cast aluminum with plenty of rubber non-slip material inserted in them. Also, there is no way they will come off unintentionally.

But, I am glad, as I am sure most of us are, that you prefer the OEM pedals. The more money that gets put into circulation, the better the economy.
    2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Snowflake White Pearl----2016 MX-5 GT Soft Top Ceramic White Metallic.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve

Thank you everyone, this was a huge help!

Registered Member

Installed in about 3 Minutes, $18 well spent
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...853247559.html

Ill update the thread if there are any issues, pics below.

Registered Member

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by cali-cx-5 View Post
    Has anyone had experience with aftermarket pedals?

I have seen some posts, the break seems easy as it is a cap, the accelerator seems to slide on and the dead pedal/ foot rest seems to be taped to the carpet.

I am curious:
    1. Does tape really hold to the carpet or is there an aftermarket additional tape that is recommended?
    2. Do accellerator covers usually slip on from the top and are there concerns about that getting in the way?

I am looking at this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...853247559.html

Just got a new 2019 CX-5 GTR and am excited to make some minor tweaks.

Any insights would be appreciated.

S
    Just got these in today! will install tonight!

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    I've been looking for something to slip under the Weathertech mat at the foot rest in order to protect the part of the carpet that the mat does not cover (it falls about 4" short of protecting the carpet from my foot).

One of these would be ideal. Beat buying new mats (not gonna happen).

What a lame design, Weathertech.

Registered Member

Mazda CX 5 GT-R

I just received a set of the pedal covers and footrest from Ali Express. Lead time was about 10 days from China. The quality seems fine, time will tell how well they hold up. Installation was a breeze. My brake pedal cover does not have the little tab sticking out of the left side like the one in the photo posted by cali-cx-5 above. I would have cut it off with a sharp utility knife after I installed it if it did. I didn't have any issues installing the brake pedal cover, I just made sure that the rubber flanges around the rear were fully encasing the metal pedal surface by feeling around the back with my fingertips.

Registered Member

@DwightFrye I took a razor blade to the tab once I had driven for a few days

Glad it worked for you, great price for the mod!

Registered Member

Mazda CX 5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by DwightFrye View Post
    I just received a set of the pedal covers and footrest from Ali Express. Lead time was about 10 days from China. The quality seems fine, time will tell how well they hold up. Installation was a breeze. My brake pedal cover does not have the little tab sticking out of the left side like the one in the photo posted by cali-cx-5 above. I would have cut it off with a sharp utility knife after I installed it if it did. I didn't have any issues installing the brake pedal cover, I just made sure that the rubber flanges around the rear were fully encasing the metal pedal surface by feeling around the back with my fingertips.
    Follow Up to my post above:
    I was cleaning the floor mats this morning and the dead pedal fell off. The two sided tape failed to stick to the carpet. I do not like the idea of screwing it down as from what I understand it is just a styrofoam block under the carpet and can't see how that would be very secure. My next step will be to try some heavy duty Velcro tape with the hook side only attached to the dead pedal and hoping that the carpet acts as the loop side.
    - I bought a couple packs of 4" x 2" Velcro and removed the remaining double stick tape from the back of the dead pedal. Then I cleaned back of the pedal with Naptha to remove any trace of the old adhesive. I completely covered the pedal surface with the hook part of the Velcro for maximum gripping surface and pressed it into place. It grips the carpet very tightly. Now as long as the adhesive that bonds the Velcro to the rear of the pedal doesn't fail it should be a secure installation. Much better than the double stick tape that was provided by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by DwightFrye; 07-05-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX 5 GT-R

Another follow up: A couple of days ago I noticed that the double stick tape that secured the stamped aluminum pedal with the rubber backing piece had failed. The rubber backing piece was still stuck to the carpet securely with the Velcro that I had installed. I cleaned up the remnants of the double stick tape and used some construction adhesive to glue the rubber backing to the aluminum piece. I hope it sticks for good this time. I suspect that the heat inside of the closed vehicle is causing the double stick tape to fail.

Registered Member

@ DwightFrye I had to do similar, bummer to have to do the extra work, but at the price point, im not mad.

I actually used the velcro command strips to hold it down on the carpet and 3M foam tape to hold the rubber to the meta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12