Stronger hatch support?

shortgrain

:
Mazda, Protege5,2003
Hi, I'm curious if anyone has ever put stronger lift supports on their hatch? I have a yakima king joe pro that used to be on a different car with a trunk but had to move it to this car and its too heavy to stay open. I've been looking at this website https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/ and tried to ask some questions about custom struts but kinda hitting a roadblock with the choices of brackets and type of attachments and so on.. Ill try to keep all the details out unless someone is interested. Thanks!

I have a hatch rack too but it doesn't allow for hatch opening with it installed so I don't know your pain. At least my original 16 yr old struts still hold the hatch up. Haven't really heard of anyone pursuing this. Only strut mods I know of are people putting redline ones on the hood - one set for steel and diff set for cf hoods. No longer use my car to haul bikes either but always interested in options and what others come up with so post up whatcha find/do..............and welcome aboard, not so much traffic nowadays here but there are still a handful of us forum "elders?" around, lol

Rockauto has what you need for cheap.
They are direct fit and come with brackets.

When I first bought my car the damn hatch fell on my head three or four times.
I had a problem finding generic lift supports because of the brackets too.
I ended up at the stealership and spent $100, maybe even for each one (I forget).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses all! I might just replace them with the stock ones and see if that helps. The stock lifts are rated for I think 84lbs. Not sure if that is each or both together? Then the rack is 18.2 lbs. Not sure what the weight of the hatch itself is. I was looking at matching lengths with different weight limits but need to figure out a custom bracket for it to use any other lifts that would fit. Ill update when I get it done if anyone is interested. Not an ideal way to carry bikes but it works for now.

...The stock lifts are rated for I think 84lbs. Not sure if that is each or both together? Then the rack is 18.2 lbs.

I didn't realize you had a rack on the tailgate.

I guess any sort of stock replacement won't work.

Maybe you could get coilovers for them. lol

These guys can custom build springs for you.

I actually have the class 2 receiver hitch for P5 that bolts in somehow......no haul bikes on car so not installing it, car too low for that too. Could be an alterantive bike hauler method with with a hitch rack....lemme know if interested and I'll shoot a few pics. Know right where it is in attic too since tripping over it swapping out filter the other day.

Last edited:
You could use one of these in the meantime.
The plastic feet shouldn't damage your piston rod.

Been busy sorry for not replying. Thanks for the suggestions. I would love a hitch receiver but no budget right now for a new bike rack. Thanks for the offer! I like the clamp idea! Just going with a ghetto brace it with a metal pole Option until I can figure out a custom bracket and support situation.

Back