Oil question

Mazda did exactly the same thing by replacing the oil level dipstick with a revised one featuring additional high-water *X* mark above the *Full* mark, during the time trying to resolve the oil rising issue on its SkyActiv-D CX-5 diesels. Owners have to change the oil when oil level reaches to the *X* mark, although this oil dilution issue is caused by DPF regeneration.

I almost feel like Mazda put higher *Full* mark than normal on dipstick to our 2.5L like the high-water mark hence specified 4.8-quart refill and factory oil fill can only reach to ~ below the *Full* mark.

Well, darn, that's a dishonest thing to do. The thing about this issue is that the only ones who notice that they have an issue are those who check their own oil regularly and who change their own oil.

As an aside, someone else was asking folks to post the level of their oil. My car is new and is just over the Full mark.

I was concerned because when I added the quart, dipstick level was not much higher than the low dot. I looked up my service notes and realized I misremembered, this was closer to 6k miles on the interval that I added the quart. Not 5, or 5.5k.

Alternatively, thinking of just keeping with the 0w20 and going back to a 5k mile interval.

Edit: Here was the dipstick at 6k miles since last change (5 qts. of Castrol Edge 0w20 on 9/29).

Maybe it's always done this since I only started doing my own services last year, and only really noticed that I only drained a bit over 4 quarts last oil change (because I probably wasn't paying enough attention on the previous change to think about measuring what was drained). But this seems a bit concerning to me, hence why I am trying to figure out the best route for oil for me.

ea5f79063a86e2b53d45c464b780774f.jpg

That is nearing the "oh crap" low. There might only be 2 quarts in your crank case. Check the oil level every 1K or so. How many miles on your car?

Last edited:
Haven't decided yet if I'm going to give the Mazda Moly or Idemitsu oil a try since they are way more expensive.

Suppose I keep buying a 5 quart jug at Walmart, what's the difference between the regular oil and the ones that say extended mileage or high mileage, or similar? I saw some that were same brand as I've been using (Castrol Edge) but seem to be marketed toward 75k+ mile cars.

I noticed the different Castrol descriptions as well. I bought the gold colored jug because that was all Walmart had at the time, and it says 'Extended Performance protection up to 15,000 miles'. Also says 'Fluid Titanium Technology'. The BS of the oil business (cheers2)

Mazda did exactly the same thing by replacing the oil level dipstick with a revised one featuring additional high-water *X* mark above the *Full* mark, during the time trying to resolve the oil rising issue on its SkyActiv-D CX-5 diesels. Owners have to change the oil when oil level reaches to the *X* mark, although this oil dilution issue is caused by DPF regeneration.

I almost feel like Mazda put higher *Full* mark than normal on dipstick to our 2.5L like the high-water mark hence specified 4.8-quart refill and factory oil fill can only reach to ~ below the *Full* mark.

I think they didn't update the manual. To change the oil and have it half way to low is crazy. It should be on the full mark after an oil change. My car was on the full mark when it was brand new.

That is nearing the "oh crap" low. There might only be 2 quarts in your crank case. Check the oil level every 1K or so. How many miles on your car?

This is one reason I like an oil gauge versus an idiot light. You can tell when the oil is getting low versus hitting a critical point. If dash space is at a premium, I'll take an oil pressure gauge over a tachometer any day of the week...especially with an automatic (where a tach has diminished value.)

I don't know what the threshold is for the oil light to come on, or if there is even a standard for it. I don't know why few cars include them.

Regarding the level on that dipstick, the manual says that any place between the marks is fine. Sure, it's the low end of acceptable, but most likely I would think it's close to 4 (meaning a quart low).

This is one reason I like an oil gauge versus an idiot light. You can tell when the oil is getting low versus hitting a critical point. If dash space is at a premium, I'll take an oil pressure gauge over a tachometer any day of the week...especially with an automatic (where a tach has diminished value.)

I don't know what the threshold is for the oil light to come on, or if there is even a standard for it. I don't know why few cars include them.

Regarding the level on that dipstick, the manual says that any place between the marks is fine. Sure, it's the low end of acceptable, but most likely I would think it's close to 4 (meaning a quart low).

Yes you are right, probably has 4 or 4.5 quarts, because I remember that 5 quarts put me right in the center, and I added almost .5 quarts to get mine just under the full mark. So assuming the oil marks are linear, being almost to the low mark would be .5 quarts lower than 5 quarts. So 4.5 quarts in it.

I think they didn't update the manual. To change the oil and have it half way to low is crazy. It should be on the full mark after an oil change. My car was on the full mark when it was brand new.

The manual describes the top mark as "max" not "full" so having the oil right in-between min and Max seems ideal to me. I always put in exactly 5 qrts and it's always exactly in-between the min and Max

what's the difference between the regular oil and the ones that say extended mileage or high mileage, or similar?

Extended mileage oils are marketed for people that go a long time between oil changes. In theory, they will hold up to all those miles better than a regular oil and may have different additives to achieve that.

High mileage oils are for cars with a lot of miles and that have an oil problem, like burning excessive amounts of oil. You only want to use these if you have a problem already because they make seals swell and then the seals get worn in at this swelled size so if you switched back to regular oil, the seals wouldn't be swollen anymore and they could be too small.
https://youtu.be/e6HmEqFdeIY

I'm just shy of 50K miles on my '15 and powertrain warranty expires at the end of July. While I haven't measured it down to the oz level if it is using oil it is minuscule between 4-5K mile changes. I will go up to 7000-7500 miles once warranty is up. My current mileage puts me around 4-5K mile mark to stay within the warranty time interval. A steady diet of Mazda moly since new. IIRC I dropped out factory fill around 2500 miles. I may go with the Idemitsu moly alternative since IIRC it is speculated they make the oil for Mazda and is quite a bit cheaper.

I may go with the Idemitsu moly alternative since IIRC it is speculated they make the oil for Mazda and is quite a bit cheaper.

The high moly Indemitsu oil is usually about the same price as the Mazda oil whenever I check. The Mazda oil is about $43 for 5 qrts online when I've bought it and that's exactly how much the Indemitsu is on Amazon right now but looking at the price history, it has been quite cheaper in the past: https://camelcamelcamel.com/ZEPRO-3...list-Advanced-Fluid_Ounces/product/B072QXMJBS

Unless one is going with multiple oil change kits where one can take advantage of Med Center's free shipping over $100 this one here works out to be $10.30/quart shipped for Mazda Moly. They don't add sales tax either.

https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-gf-5-0w20-w-moly-qt-0000g50w20mq

30% off shipping code: MAZDAS247

The high moly Indemitsu oil is usually about the same price as the Mazda oil whenever I check. The Mazda oil is about $43 for 5 qrts online when I've bought it and that's exactly how much the Indemitsu is on Amazon right now but looking at the price history, it has been quite cheaper in the past: https://camelcamelcamel.com/ZEPRO-3...list-Advanced-Fluid_Ounces/product/B072QXMJBS

I could be wrong but I think that^ has much less moly than the Mazda Idemitsu oil as per oil analysis I seen one time. Somewhere.

For reference on oil consumption (2016.5 CX5 15,000 miles), I'm getting about 5000 miles per quart. Maybe a little more.

Luck of the draw as all of my new cars used some oil. Even my Acura TL (4,500 per quart). Disclaimer - I'm also the guy that gets jury duty notice every 2 years.

Back