Is there such a thing as a "default radio station?"

:
Mazda CX5 GTR 2019
I recently acquired a 2019 CX5 GTR. The infotainment stuff seems to work well, including Car Play. As others have noticed, it does take a little time for the vehicle to find Car Play. Instead, at least for a bit, it defaults over to a radio station. Worse, it defaults to an FM station that I don't listen to. Kinda annoying.

So, my question is: is there a way to set up the system so that either it doesn't play a radio station while it's finding CarPlay or, if not, set up a default radio station for it to play? I've tried having the radio tuned to the station I listen to most, and then starting the car, but it keeps going back to the FM station that isn't my selection.

Truly, a "First World Problem," but any help would be appreciated.

Mine also defaults to an unwanted radio station, and twice as loud as my bluetooth volume is usually set.

Not an answer to your question, but a solution to the problem: mute.

I have a 2019 GTR and the start-up station is always the last one I listened to.

I exclusively listen to XM, but my "last station listened to" differs each tie I drive and, again, always comes up the next time I get in the car...but I have yet to play music through my phone.

The only "First World" issue I have had so far is inconsistent behaviour of the Voice Commands for the radio. Sometimes the radio will go to an XM station by saying the station name ("Lithium"), and other times it requires the station number ("49"). It will work, then I stop the car and run an errand and it doesn't work when I start the car, then I stop the car to run another errand and it may work when I start it again or it may not. Once it works, it always works for that driving session. It's driving me nuts. I think it's playing with me....

Last edited:
Mine default to "Praise", thats right, a christian radio channel in my local area, not that I have anything against my fellow christian here but it does get you sometimes when you first started the car and hear just how much Jesus loves you.

Mine default to "Praise", thats right, a christian radio channel in my local area, not that I have anything against my fellow christian here but it does get you sometimes when you first started the car and hear just how much Jesus loves you.

Better that than "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Highway to Hell."

I always tune to a specific station using the favorites button and hit mute or turn it way down before turning off my car. Always goes right to that station when starting up again and does not play music from AA until I navigate to it.

Depends on your point of view. I would love those songs... but religious station i would sell the car or disable the radio.

Beat me to it. I'd much rather have:
Living easy, living free
Season ticket on a one-way ride
Asking nothing, leave me be
Taking everything in my stride
Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
Ain't nothing I would rather do
Going down, party time
My friends are gonna be there too

Over any religous radio station. ;)

Back