AWD vs FWD

:
Miata and CX-5
Have you test driven a CX-5 AWD vs FWD ?
I have a 2016 FWD and a 19 AWD. The drive is very different but I am not sure if that is due to 2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive or other factors between the 3 model years.

Probably much more due to the major changes in generation 2, since AWD is mostly FWD most of the time anyway in a CX-5.

Probably much more due to the major changes in generation 2, since AWD is mostly FWD most of the time anyway in a CX-5.

The factor I don't enjoy is that the 2019 "feels" like it has a governor (giving the sensation of reducing speed and, or, , keeping-the-wheels-from-moving-freely). I am not sure if this is an AWD thing or just the changes from 2016 to 2019 CX-5 models.

I think its a generation thing. My mother in laws 2018 drives and handles much differently than my 2013. Both are FWD. Mine is a smooth and comfortable drive with good steering, and my coworkers often complement how smooth the drive is on lunch breaks. The 2018 handles like its on rails compared to mine. Steering is more sensitive, the ride is dead quiet, and the suspension is much sportier. Not too firm, but more upscale feeling.

I think it*s a generation thing. My mother in laws 2018 drives and handles much differently than my 2013. Both are FWD. Mine is a smooth and comfortable drive with good steering, and my coworkers often complement how smooth the drive is on lunch breaks. The 2018 handles like it*s on rails compared to mine. Steering is more sensitive, the ride is dead quiet, and the suspension is much sportier. Not too firm, but more upscale feeling.

Do you notice that when accelerating your 2013 feels "free" while your MIL's 2018 feels a little "constricted", like something is holding back slightly the free flow of the wheels ?

Do you notice that when accelerating your 2013 feels "free" while your MIL's 2018 feels a little "constricted", like something is holding back slightly the free flow of the wheels ?

Somewhat, yes. My 2013 feels like it wants to coast, whereas the 2018 feels like it has more engine breaking going on. The 2018 is more responsive to the gas pedal for that reason while the 2013 has a slight delay when hitting the go button.

Somewhat, yes. My 2013 feels like it wants to coast, whereas the 2018 feels like it has more engine breaking going on. The 2018 is more responsive to the gas pedal for that reason while the 2013 has a slight delay when hitting the go button.

Thanks for your helpful replies :)

Np! I wont get to drive hers again for probably a couple of months, figured Id comment with what I noticed when I drove her car for a few days in a row last year.

2016 vs 2019 - there are more generational differences to these feeling different - than there is FWD vs AWD. That being said, the harsh reality of CX-5 AWD (and most AWD systems currently present on the market) - is that it is purely an FWD platform which constantly hauls one really fat chick's worth of on-demand mechanical components - which might be or might be not of any use for you depending on where you live.

2016 vs 2019 - there are more generational differences to these feeling different - than there is FWD vs AWD. That being said, the harsh reality of CX-5 AWD (and most AWD systems currently present on the market) - is that it is purely an FWD platform which constantly hauls one really fat chick's worth of on-demand mechanical components - which might be or might be not of any use for you depending on where you live.

AWD makes a huge difference. My AWD went out on my 2015 once, and it was spin city in the cold rain. No thanks. Also, little things, like getting onto a road at a steeper angle, etc. So many ways that AWD will put the power down that you don't even notice, that when you get into a FWD version of the same vehicle, it's a suckfest.

AWD makes a huge difference. My AWD went out on my 2015 once, and it was spin city in the cold rain. No thanks. Also, little things, like getting onto a road at a steeper angle, etc. So many ways that AWD will put the power down that you don't even notice, that when you get into a FWD version of the same vehicle, it's a suckfest.

Lol, it sounds like you've got it all well justified to your-self. Good for you... albeit, I'd strongly suggest keeping an eye on the condition of your tires.

On my side of things - I live in this Canadian village called Montreal with - arguably - the worst weather across Canada (Toronto-nians might strongly disagree after this winter), just today we had yet another round of freezing rains, half of the city is without lights and I've swapped winter tires for summer ones a weekend ago. And guess what - somehow I've survived the day on mere FWD without a single wheel spin... strange.... Oh and my summer tires are on their last season (by my standards). Ever since getting my CX-5 I was averaging about 5-6 days per year when having AWD would have been sweet, but even on these days you're still mostly stuck in traffic behind these who think that AWD solves all worlds issues and who can't drive for sh@t. For the other 360 days a year - I'm perfectly fine.

Last edited:
My brother in Iowa would agree, lol. He ha: a front wheel drive GTI Jetta and a Chrysler Town and Country. When I visited in the winter I asked him why he didnt have AWD. He said hes fine without it and it gives people a false sense of confidence. Those with AWD in his opinion were those that ended up in ditches because they didnt drive it like a 2WD.

My Subaru Forester 2012 had 4wd and it is great. I feel it is much better that the usual 2+2 like in my CX5

AWD is not a 4x4, so I will agree, a lot of the general populace gets the wrong idea and becomes overconfident.

That said, I always keep up with my tire tread and I believe the AWD kicks in more than we realize on things like start from a stop, loose gravel/dirt, etc. to keep the wheels from spinning and instead maintain traction. I wouldn't own this kind of vehicle without it personally.

Lol, it sounds like you've got it all well justified to your-self. Good for you... albeit, I'd strongly suggest keeping an eye on the condition of your tires.

On my side of things - I live in this Canadian village called Montreal with - arguably - the worst weather across Canada (Toronto-nians might strongly disagree after this winter), just today we had yet another round of freezing rains, half of the city is without lights and I've swapped winter tires for summer ones a weekend ago. And guess what - somehow I've survived the day on mere FWD without a single wheel spin... strange.... Oh and my summer tires are on their last season (by my standards). Ever since getting my CX-5 I was averaging about 5-6 days per year when having AWD would have been sweet, but even on these days you're still mostly stuck in traffic behind these who think that AWD solves all worlds issues and who can't drive for sh@t. For the other 360 days a year - I'm perfectly fine.

No reason to be snooty... (shrug)

Glad you survived the day with your FWD. (canada)

I enjoy the AWD every time I use the vehicle, and I know that only those whom have driven both vehicles back to back will truly know what they are missing out on as far as the driving experience. Not worrying about available traction for accelerating onto a road or highway in dry, gravel, dirt, mud, snow, rain is one less thing to worry about.

I do keep a good eye on the tires. They get rotated every 5,000 miles. Every single day I use my AWD on my driveway, and sometimes in corners, as well, I'm betting. Sometimes from a traffic light to get ahead of someone. Especially in weather under 40*F.

AWD is not a 4x4, so I will agree, a lot of the general populace gets the wrong idea and becomes overconfident.

That said, I always keep up with my tire tread and I believe the AWD kicks in more than we realize on things like start from a stop, loose gravel/dirt, etc. to keep the wheels from spinning and instead maintain traction. I wouldn't own this kind of vehicle without it personally.

It does. I've driven up my driveway in FWD vehicles before (The Pilot wouldn't make it), and in my CX5s, and in the CX5s, you don't get some massive neon sign that says "Made possible by AWD!" but you sure as hell don't spin all over the place, and up it goes. Same for taking off from a redlight, etc. It does even better there than my AWD Jeep Grand Cherokee did, but I think part of that is the Jeep likely had less aggressive software management.

Good for you.

The problem with FWD vehicles is most of them don't have limited slip differentials, hence they are unable to put the power down effectively in slippery conditions. The other problem is that the general population try to drive FWD cars as if they are AWD vehicles, not taking into account the physics of what happens when the weight shifts on a FWD vehicle. An example is creeping up on a slippery hill while driving a FWD vehicle, expecting it to behave as if it is an AWD vehicle. Another example is people complaining that FWD vehicles understeer while trying to get on the power while cornering. In both those situations, you have to drive a FWD vehicle differently. For some people, they don't want to have to think about driving a FWD vehicle differently and that is a valid enough reason to want an AWD vehicle.

Back