Maintenance Checklist (my cheatsheet for future cost planning)

geneborj

As I was trying to make my own personal list of maintenance items, I thought to put it here in the 'cloud' so that I can access anytime/anywhere while sharing it for everyone's benefit.

* On top of the standard maintenance checklist as per handbook/dealership, I have come up with my own list of items based on my personal experience to help me plan any future cost.
* The purpose of me posting this is that anyone who has experienced issues/concerns can add more information to it. Experience is the best teacher.
* For all of us DIYers, feel free to add some key points too.
* I did not add the cost components and DIY doable stuff. Each to his own.

within 10 years (excluding TSB/recall as per VIN)

1. engine oil
2. transmission fluid
3. brake fluid
4. brakes (rotors and pads)
5. wheel balance and alignment
6. air filter and cabin filter
7. belts and tensioner
8. battery
9. spark plug
10. suspension components (bushings/tie rod/sway bar/ball joints/cv joints)
11. rubber boots
12. struts
13. coolant/anti freeze
14. tires
15. lights
16. wipers
17. under carriage rust

> 10 years
1. engine mounts
2. wheel bearings
3. gaskets (engine/transmission)
4. hoses
5. fuel injectors
6. fuel pump
7. water pump
8. exhaust components (manifold/cat converter/muffler)
9. intake (carbon build up)
10. AC compressor
11. timing chain (???)
12. electrical components/sensors

For everyone's reference.

That's quite a list for a good plan. I'm not sure how you're going to plan for the expense 10 years+ down the road. Are you putting money away for that now? Unless you invest at average market return, that's waste thanks to inflation.
As for underbody rust, take care of it right away, if you live any close to the rust belt or the ocean. Spray it with Crown, Fluid Film, Corrosion Free, etc. And it every year. This way you would not need to budget for the rust repair.

That's quite a list for a good plan. I'm not sure how you're going to plan for the expense 10 years+ down the road. Are you putting money away for that now? Unless you invest at average market return, that's waste thanks to inflation.
As for underbody rust, take care of it right away, if you live any close to the rust belt or the ocean. Spray it with Crown, Fluid Film, Corrosion Free, etc. And it every year. This way you would not need to budget for the rust repair.

I do perform an annual rust prevention maintenance (being in Toronto) and always watch for spots every time I power wash underneath. As for putting away money on it, right now I just take it from the general bucket of expenses. The list is mostly for me to know which ones to keep an eye for and be aware of any tell tale signs for repair.

At then end of the day, it's a liability. Minimizing any risk for failure is all what am trying to do. As soon as it starts to become a money pit, its time to let it go. I have the first gen, let's see how reliable this car is. YMMV

We're in Burlington, next door to you. Ours is '15 GT. No spec of rust. I suspect this is due to the annual DYI Fluid Film or RustCure application. Do it every year, and you're gonna be all right in that regard.

Back