Mazda announces end of manual transmission in Mazda 6

...at least for the US/North America for 2019.

https://jalopnik.com/the-manual-mazda-6-is-officially-gone-for-the-2019-mode-1833634985

Plenty of people will act upset. But they didn't go out and buy one to keep it alive, at least enough of them. Oh well, it was just a matter of time.

It leaves one mainstream sedan left in the US with a stick available. The Accord.

Here in the SF Bay Area I see lots of CX-5's on the roads, a high number of Mazda 3's, a good amount of CX-9's, once in awhile a Miata or a CX-3, but very rarely do I see a Mazda 6.

Here in the SF Bay Area I see lots of CX-5's on the roads, a high number of Mazda 3's, a good amount of CX-9's, once in awhile a Miata or a CX-3, but very rarely do I see a Mazda 6.

I see 2018 Mazda 6's everyday, not many but they're selling. Mazda moves 2,000 a month in the US. Double the CX-3. 4 times that of the Miata. And not far off the CX-9's sales.

"If only it was all wheel drive, turbo, and manual, I would've bought one."

Is that you talking or reiterating the usual internet wish list stuff?

I always read such comments under car reviews. "If it had [.........], I'll buy one". I've learned not to believe such statements from the internet.

Case in point, for years (at least since Mazda introduced the current SkiActive turbo) all I saw was "I'll buy the Mazda 6 if they put this turbo in it". Well, Mazda did in 2018 and sales stayed the same as when only the base engine was offered. Where did all those internet buyers go?

Last edited:

We have 5 Mazda6s in my company's parking lot.
Mine is one of them. So I see a lot of them everyday.

South Bay.
1 blue, 2 sonic silver, 1 white, 1 black, maybe 1 dark brown one also but I haven't seen it for a while. We have 2000 employees on campus. 5-6 Mazda6 is not a shocking number, really. Maybe more even, but I only count the Mazda6s where I usually park.

Last edited:
Sad that they discontinued it, my manual Mazda6 will be one of the few roaming around the streets.

The manual may return with the diesel.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1122665_about-time-mazda-cx-5-diesel-arrives-in-summer-2019

In U.S. spec, the 2.2-liter diesel 4-cylinder*with two sequential turbos*makes 168 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque, and it has a rather high redline for a diesel of 5,500 rpm. Otsuka said that the engine is a popular combination with a manual transmission in Europe, and it*s working on the possibility of bringing that combination here.

Mazda confirmed to Green Car Reports that the Mazda 6 will be next, slated to arrive as a 2020 model*requiring no additional CARB and EPA certification but needing new EPA fuel-economy results, of course.

2018 mazda 6 manual here, I've had 3 mazdas in manual in the past and have never driven one as smooth and effortless as this car. When I first came across this I was happy to be one of the few to own a manual with the updated body style but saddened because this is one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driven in manual.

Back