2016 Cx-5 sport oil change interval 5000 miles or 10,000 miles?

I just went with a 7500 interval but I'm going to go back to 5000. Had to add a quart at 6000.

I can't imagine going 10K without an oil change. Part of the oil's function is to clean all the metal parts it comes in contact with. By 10K miles the oil must be saturated with black stuff and can't clean good. It would be like washing your car with a bucket of water that gets dirtier and dirtier. At the end you would be washing with muddy water and leaving dirt streaks on the car. The oil probably still has its viscosity and protection qualities and no large particles because of the oil filter but it would be so dirty.

I can't imagine going 10K without an oil change. Part of the oil's function is to clean all the metal parts it comes in contact with. By 10K miles the oil must be saturated with black stuff and can't clean good. It would be like washing your car with a bucket of water that gets dirtier and dirtier. At the end you would be washing with muddy water and leaving dirt streaks on the car. The oil probably still has its viscosity and protection qualities and no large particles because of the oil filter but it would be so dirty.

That's not quite how it works. Part of an oil's job is to keep contaminants in suspension. A UOA will tell you, based on your particular driving habits, how far you can reasonably take an oil.

Last edited:
I ran Amsoil a couple times for 12k in the CX-5. Im now back down to 7.5k intervals with Mobil 1. I got tired of the Amsoil preferred customer program to get reasonable pricing though, as well as going to their distribution center near work to avoid shipping on small orders The Mobil 1 rebates are easy and its widely available. Maybe Ill go back to Amsoil for a bit when I switch my Odyssey ATF over to their line. Too many reports of Honda DW-1 not holding up beyond 30k in those vans :/

Last edited:
I ran Amsoil a couple times for 12k in the CX-5. I*m now back down to 7.5k intervals with Mobil 1. I got tired of the Amsoil preferred customer program to get reasonable pricing though, as well as going to their distribution center near work to avoid shipping on small orders The Mobil 1 rebates are easy and it*s widely available. Maybe I*ll go back to Amsoil for a bit when I switch my Odyssey ATF over to their line. Too many reports of Honda DW-1 not holding up beyond 30k in those vans :/

I'm on a trial of Amsoil myself and may try Mobil 1 Annual for 12k. You can probably run the Amsoil in a non-turbo car like the CX-5 for 15k-20k but the bottleneck is the oil filter. There's no OEM spec long life filter for skyactiv engines.

Edit: Another good oil the BITOG forum is backing up and vouching for is Supertech 0w20 @ Walmart. Its actually pretty good stuff.

Last edited:
Back