Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drive Belt tensioner leaking at 40,700 miles per dealer

Registered Member

2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

After lousy success with Gates belts (premature dry out and cracking) on my previous car,I don't consider them anymore.And I'd be a bit leery of the tensioner.I paid more for oem Mazda tensioner from a dealer online.Belts when the time comes would be oem(if reasonable) or Bando,Dayco or Contitech.Just my .02. Jmaz

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Mines looking pretty cracked. Cost for OEM parts is going to be roughly $160-$190 for this project. Dayco is likely the OEM supplier for Honda with its regular OE line $5-7$ belts.

These Premium Gates are lifetime warrantied belts.
    Cool, labor included in that warranty...? Because a belt is only like $18 from Mazda...

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    After getting 106K out of mine, and it not looking bad at all, I'm loath to go with any other than Mazda, as I KNOW it's legit.
    Agreed, plus you get 12 month, 12000 warranty out of it.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Agreed, plus you get 12 month, 12000 warranty out of it.
    Yup, and stillborn products happen. Thats life.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

How does one know that this tensioner needs replacement? Our 2014 is about to hit 90,000 this week. We bought it at 52,000 and I have no idea if the tensioner was replaced before.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 368K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 88K miles, the family hauler!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Mine it was chirping.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    How does one know that this tensioner needs replacement? Our 2014 is about to hit 90,000 this week. We bought it at 52,000 and I have no idea if the tensioner was replaced before.
    It leaks.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Mine also chirped like tibimakai's.

That said, when I looked at the actual tensioner, it was covered in an oil like substance. Clearly leaking.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I see, I'll take a look at ours. Haven't noticed any signs of anything leaking from underneath yet.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

Mine was replaced a couple of months ago. It was not covered under powertrain warranty. It was talked about in the "What did you do for your cx-5" thread. Someone with a Mazda6 mentioned that Mazda supposedly covers it under warranty for the Mazda6, so it might be worthwhile calling Mazda first before you get the service done.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    Mine was replaced a couple of months ago. It was not covered under powertrain warranty. It was talked about in the "What did you do for your cx-5" thread. Someone with a Mazda6 mentioned that Mazda supposedly covers it under warranty for the Mazda6, so it might be worthwhile calling Mazda first before you get the service done.
    We have no warranty left on our vehicle, besides I do all my own service anyway.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaz View Post
    After lousy success with Gates belts (premature dry out and cracking) on my previous car,I don't consider them anymore.And I'd be a bit leery of the tensioner.I paid more for oem Mazda tensioner from a dealer online.Belts when the time comes would be oem(if reasonable) or Bando,Dayco or Contitech.Just my .02. Jmaz
    The Dayco's huh? hmmm. A tab bit more. Will have to consider those. thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Cool, labor included in that warranty...? Because a belt is only like $18 from Mazda...
    Not unless I pay myself Dayco and Gates are major OEM suppliers. Their have OEM belts and premium belts. Same fitment different materials. c'mon man I want to go premium and add 0.0036 HP with street cred!!!

The ACDELCO 39390 and the Gates Tensioners have a lifetime warranty. That has to have some appeal to DIYers or if you're hiring a mechanic. Chances are the OEM one is made by these guys.

Take a picture and post it. My cx-5's @103k miles is still good. Mazda6 at 30k leaked

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    That was me. After a call from Mazda USA, got the dealership to change it under warranty.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

We have no warranty left on our vehicle, besides I do all my own service anyway.
    That was me. After a call from Mazda USA, got the dealership to change it under warranty.
    Ah it was CX-5um

When mine was replaced, I think my CX-5 was just around the 40K mile mark, so not that old. Patrick, you seem to have an older CX-5 though, so its possible that Mazda will just deem it as a wear and tear item, so they might not be of help at all.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Drive Belt tensioner leaking at 40,700 miles per dealer

Take a picture and post it. My cx-5's @103k miles is still good. Mazda6 at 30k leaked

I guess I'm confused. Mazda should cover your hydraulic belt tensioner under new car warranty since your Mazda6 was at 30K miles. Why there's an issue from warranty service on it and you had to call MNAO?

Yeah I've been using OEM belts and tensioners for my vehicles as I always try to DIY. Although some of these belts may be manufactured by Gates or Dayco but I believe OEM parts will always have the best fit and best chance to have good quality to save my own time to re-do the same job again sooner than needed.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I guess I'm confused. Mazda should cover your hydraulic belt tensioner under new car warranty since your Mazda6 was at 30K miles. Why there's an issue from warranty service on it and you had to call MNAO?
    Its a long story. Start here: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ensioner/page4

Replaced under warranty @17 miles.

Long story short, replaced again later....along with new water pump and belt. Got push back from dealership. Had to get Mazda involved.

I'm on second Tensioner on Mazda6. Original one on CX-5.

Edit: Tensioners are known to give out around the 30k mark on Mazda6's for some reason. Source= Mazda6club forum and myself. Hence why lifetime warranty parts is something I'm looking for. Also want to provide my findings to others for help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast