Drive Belt tensioner leaking at 40,700 miles per dealer

Maybe it's not as prevalent as I thought, there are no CX-5 youtube videos with this problem. Plenty of other cars though.

unobtainium ------ I only had the oem 3/36 and 5/60 warranty.Was past the 36 mo. mark.

To everybody else ----- my understanding is that the newer revision is improved. IIRC it has a "B" or "b"at the end of the part number.The one I received did.

I'm hoping to get more than 29,000 miles of this "improved version".If not, I know how to do it easier and quicker next time. Jmaz

unobtainium ------ I only had the oem 3/36 and 5/60 warranty.Was past the 36 mo. mark.

To everybody else ----- my understanding is that the newer revision is improved. IIRC it has a "B" or "b"at the end of the part number.The one I received did.

I'm hoping to get more than 29,000 miles of this "improved version".If not, I know how to do it easier and quicker next time. Jmaz

I pulled 106K miles out of mine, so take heart!

How about 150k miles on original accessory belt and tensioner? Just replaced last weekend. Belt was toast and surprised it break a while ago.

The line about removing the engine is bunk. My sockets were too big but was able to swap the tensioner and belt with standard wrenches. Really had to work to get enough slack to install the new belt but very doable with no special techniques.

Going to be changing the Serpentine and Water pump belts soon myself. Anyone have any tips?

Rockauto sells both belts (premium Gates) and a new tensioner (also Gates) for about $59 total which is a steal. Have not calculated tx and shipping yet.

Sounds way to cheap.

Typo...aprox $89.

$12.81/$10.14 for belts and $63.79 for tensioner.

Gates is a pretty good belts brand. Prices are for a 2013 2.0 model but most likely same part#'s as 2.5l engine too. I notice the aftermarket OE is maturing well for Skyactiv engines.

GATES K030309SF {#PE0115908, PEDD15908, PEDD15909} Premium OE Stretch Fit Micro-V Belt Installation

GATES K060378

GATES 39390 DriveAlign Premium OE Automatic Belt Tensioner

Last edited:
Typo...aprox $89.

$12.81/$10.14 for belts and $63.79 for tensioner.

Gates is a pretty good belts brand. Prices are for a 2013 2.0 model but most likely same part#'s as 2.5l engine too. I notice the aftermarket OE is maturing well for Skyactiv engines.

GATES K030309SF {#PE0115908, PEDD15908, PEDD15909} Premium OE Stretch Fit Micro-V Belt Installation

GATES K060378

GATES 39390 DriveAlign Premium OE Automatic Belt Tensioner

After getting 106K out of mine, and it not looking bad at all, I'm loath to go with any other than Mazda, as I KNOW it's legit.

Mines looking pretty cracked. Cost for OEM parts is going to be roughly $160-$190 for this project. Dayco is likely the OEM supplier for Honda with its regular OE line $5-7$ belts.

These Premium Gates are lifetime warrantied belts.

After lousy success with Gates belts (premature dry out and cracking) on my previous car,I don't consider them anymore.And I'd be a bit leery of the tensioner.I paid more for oem Mazda tensioner from a dealer online.Belts when the time comes would be oem(if reasonable) or Bando,Dayco or Contitech.Just my .02. Jmaz

Mines looking pretty cracked. Cost for OEM parts is going to be roughly $160-$190 for this project. Dayco is likely the OEM supplier for Honda with its regular OE line $5-7$ belts.

These Premium Gates are lifetime warrantied belts.

Cool, labor included in that warranty...? Because a belt is only like $18 from Mazda...

How does one know that this tensioner needs replacement? Our 2014 is about to hit 90,000 this week. We bought it at 52,000 and I have no idea if the tensioner was replaced before.

How does one know that this tensioner needs replacement? Our 2014 is about to hit 90,000 this week. We bought it at 52,000 and I have no idea if the tensioner was replaced before.

Mine also chirped like tibimakai's.

That said, when I looked at the actual tensioner, it was covered in an oil like substance. Clearly leaking.

Mine was replaced a couple of months ago. It was not covered under powertrain warranty. It was talked about in the "What did you do for your cx-5" thread. Someone with a Mazda6 mentioned that Mazda supposedly covers it under warranty for the Mazda6, so it might be worthwhile calling Mazda first before you get the service done.

Back