Drive Belt tensioner leaking at 40,700 miles per dealer

Mine was replaced a couple of months ago. It was not covered under powertrain warranty. It was talked about in the "What did you do for your cx-5" thread. Someone with a Mazda6 mentioned that Mazda supposedly covers it under warranty for the Mazda6, so it might be worthwhile calling Mazda first before you get the service done.

We have no warranty left on our vehicle, besides I do all my own service anyway.

After lousy success with Gates belts (premature dry out and cracking) on my previous car,I don't consider them anymore.And I'd be a bit leery of the tensioner.I paid more for oem Mazda tensioner from a dealer online.Belts when the time comes would be oem(if reasonable) or Bando,Dayco or Contitech.Just my .02. Jmaz

The Dayco's huh? hmmm. A tab bit more. Will have to consider those. thanks for the tip.

Cool, labor included in that warranty...? Because a belt is only like $18 from Mazda...

Not unless I pay myself:) Dayco and Gates are major OEM suppliers. Their have OEM belts and premium belts. Same fitment different materials. c'mon man I want to go premium and add 0.0036 HP with street cred!!!

The ACDELCO 39390 and the Gates Tensioners have a lifetime warranty. That has to have some appeal to DIYers or if you're hiring a mechanic. Chances are the OEM one is made by these guys.

How does one know that this tensioner needs replacement? Our 2014 is about to hit 90,000 this week. We bought it at 52,000 and I have no idea if the tensioner was replaced before.

Take a picture and post it. My cx-5's @103k miles is still good. Mazda6 at 30k leaked:(

Mine was replaced a couple of months ago. It was not covered under powertrain warranty. It was talked about in the "What did you do for your cx-5" thread. Someone with a Mazda6 mentioned that Mazda supposedly covers it under warranty for the Mazda6, so it might be worthwhile calling Mazda first before you get the service done.

That was me. After a call from Mazda USA, got the dealership to change it under warranty.

We have no warranty left on our vehicle, besides I do all my own service anyway.

That was me. After a call from Mazda USA, got the dealership to change it under warranty.
Ah it was CX-5um :)

When mine was replaced, I think my CX-5 was just around the 40K mile mark, so not that old. Patrick, you seem to have an older CX-5 though, so its possible that Mazda will just deem it as a wear and tear item, so they might not be of help at all.

Take a picture and post it. My cx-5's @103k miles is still good. Mazda6 at 30k leaked:(

I guess I'm confused. Mazda should cover your hydraulic belt tensioner under new car warranty since your Mazda6 was at 30K miles. Why there's an issue from warranty service on it and you had to call MNAO?

Yeah I've been using OEM belts and tensioners for my vehicles as I always try to DIY. Although some of these belts may be manufactured by Gates or Dayco but I believe OEM parts will always have the best fit and best chance to have good quality to save my own time to re-do the same job again sooner than needed.

I guess I'm confused. Mazda should cover your hydraulic belt tensioner under new car warranty since your Mazda6 was at 30K miles. Why there's an issue from warranty service on it and you had to call MNAO?

Its a long story. Start here: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123855820-leaking-belt-tensioner/page4

Replaced under warranty @17 miles.

Long story short, replaced again later....along with new water pump and belt. Got push back from dealership. Had to get Mazda involved.

I'm on second Tensioner on Mazda6. Original one on CX-5.

Edit: Tensioners are known to give out around the 30k mark on Mazda6's for some reason. Source= Mazda6club forum and myself. Hence why lifetime warranty parts is something I'm looking for. Also want to provide my findings to others for help.

Its a long story. Start here: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123855820-leaking-belt-tensioner/page4

Replaced under warranty @17 miles.

Long story short, replaced again later....along with new water pump and belt. Got push back from dealership. Had to get Mazda involved.

I'm on second Tensioner on Mazda6. Original one on CX-5.

Edit: Tensioners are known to give out around the 30k mark on Mazda6's for some reason. Source= Mazda6club forum and myself. Hence why lifetime warranty parts is something I'm looking for. Also want to provide my findings to others for help.
So on your Mazda6, your belt tensioner failed at 17K miles (definitely not at 17 miles! :)), and failed again at 30K miles. Your Mazda6 was still under new car warranty when the tensioner failed at the 2nd time. Why MNAO needed to get involved? Did you request a new water pump suspecting it might cause the repeated failures on belt tensioner?

So on your Mazda6, your belt tensioner failed at 17K miles (definitely not at 17 miles! :)), and failed again at 30K miles. Your Mazda6 was still under new car warranty when the tensioner failed at the 2nd time. Why MNAO needed to get involved? Did you request a new water pump suspecting it might cause the repeated failures on belt tensioner?

So I was in for an oil change. Dealer called and said they saw coolant (green) residue. Did not believe them so I took car home and did self inspection. Sure enough there was residue near the water pump gasket and tensioner was leaking.

Probably a good reason to check those tensioner...but.....water pump has its own belt. Were they related? I'm not too keen on drive belt systems so not sure.

Anyhow I'm not sure why but they said it was not covered under warranty. Maybe their angle was that the tensioner (non covered part) going bad caused the water pump to go bad. Only explanation I could think of. I did not waste time go back and forth with them. 1 call to Mazda USA and they called the dealership and approved the work. 2 belts. Tensioner. Water pump with new gasket covered under warranty. Did it need all that? Probably not. Was I wanting all that? Yessir!!!

Going back to the Tensioner......> wasn't there someone here who was told it was not covered under warranty?

Ah it was CX-5um :)

When mine was replaced, I think my CX-5 was just around the 40K mile mark, so not that old. Patrick, you seem to have an older CX-5 though, so its possible that Mazda will just deem it as a wear and tear item, so they might not be of help at all.

like I was saying, I do all my own work anyway. In 20+ years of car ownership I have never paid a shop for any work other than alignments and tire mount/balance. And especially not a $tealership. Haven't even set foot on the dealer lot where we bought our 2014 since we purchased the car in 2016.

I forgot to check the tensioner last night, but if there appears to be a problem I'll take care of it. Still gotta get that $150 worth of transmission fluid run through the system one of these days. :)

So I was in for an oil change. Dealer called and said they saw coolant (green) residue. Did not believe them so I took car home and did self inspection. Sure enough there was residue near the water pump gasket and tensioner was leaking.

Probably a good reason to check those tensioner...but.....water pump has its own belt. Were they related? I'm not too keen on drive belt systems so not sure.

Anyhow I'm not sure why but they said it was not covered under warranty. Maybe their angle was that the tensioner (non covered part) going bad caused the water pump to go bad. Only explanation I could think of. I did not waste time go back and forth with them. 1 call to Mazda USA and they called the dealership and approved the work. 2 belts. Tensioner. Water pump with new gasket covered under warranty. Did it need all that? Probably not. Was I wanting all that? Yessir!!!

Going back to the Tensioner......> wasn't there someone here who was told it was not covered under warranty?

Yeah, me. Not covered under remaining power train warranty once your 3 year/36k mile bumper to bumper has expired.

Yeah, me. Not covered under remaining power train warranty once your 3 year/36k mile bumper to bumper has expired.

Damn Madar...that sucks. How's your updated tensioner so far?

Man, having a hard time finding instructions for removing and installing new tensioner with torque specs.

For instructional info go back to page #1 ,post #12 in this thread .Also search function may help.Torque specs? Good luck getting a torque wrench in there.Good and tight by hand is sufficient.The nut and bolt only take a 12mm wrench. Jmaz

Damn Madar...that sucks. How's your updated tensioner so far?

Man, having a hard time finding instructions for removing and installing new tensioner with torque specs.

You'll have to ask the guy that bought the car, I traded it in a few years ago for a 2016 model. Hopefully this tensioner will last longer

For instructional info go back to page #1 ,post #12 in this thread .Also search function may help.Torque specs? Good luck getting a torque wrench in there.Good and tight by hand is sufficient.The nut and bolt only take a 12mm wrench. Jmaz

Thanks. So yours wasn't covered too huh?

I actually played/test fitted a 12mm wrench in and actually broke free the top tensioner bolt. Not hard actually. I retightened and would guestimate 1/4 turn afterwards.

My plan is to allocate a 3-hour time block and access via the wheel well since I also want to change the water pump stretch belt while in there. I already purchased OEM belts and tensioner at total $144. Extra time spent if finished early is to clean up the are I guess...and a can of beer.

Thanks. So yours wasn't covered too huh?

I actually played/test fitted a 12mm wrench in and actually broke free the top tensioner bolt. Not hard actually. I retightened and would guestimate 1/4 turn afterwards.

My plan is to allocate a 3-hour time block and access via the wheel well since I also want to change the water pump stretch belt while in there. I already purchased OEM belts and tensioner at total $144. Extra time spent if finished early is to clean up the are I guess...and a can of beer.
You might want to do a search on here about changing that stretch belt. I think some one said there was some kind of tool to make that change a little easier.

I just ponied up the money to have a shop do it after I looked at what was all involved to do it myself.

Smart decision. I'm all for diy, but this type of job is no fun. I may have even scratched the pulley with a screwdriver, when I was removing the belt. I have used it, to pry off the belt. Most likely, this will bite me later on.

Yikes, a screwdriver? The directions recommend using a rag or towel or something if I remember right between the pulley and the belt. Granted, its cramped in there but has anybody done that method with success?

Back